2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

Spinning

On the Ice
Then he has to get an assignment from one of the other GP. Not sure they are going to do that, since they don't have to. If nobody gives him a spot, he gets his 1 spot assignment to CoC either way.

Just like any other athlete, if you are only guaranteed one spot, it's not 100% sure that you'll get invited to a second one.

Chinese skaters usually get NHK spots and vice versa for the Japanese. I've been told the reason is solely financial based. The host Feds are the one to pay for the expenses so there have been some sort of arrangement between the two countries plus minimum jet lag is benefit their skaters.

Andrea82

Medalist
I think Andrea82 only included skaters who weren't in Top 12 at Worlds.

yes, I listed only those guaranteed of one spot because of top 24 SB who haven't already got 2 spots because of top 12 this week. And I hope not to have missed any.

I try to make it clearer now

Both Spanish ID teams get one spot each? Can either of them get a second by invitation?

yes, both of them will surely have 1 and they can hope for a second. There will probably be around 3 teams needed to be added because they are in top 24 World Standings but not in Worlds top 12 and SB top 24. But there are also 4 teams potentially retiring + exDanes sitting out GP season. It would leave around 25-30 spots to be filled with doubling or adding new teams

mudav

Rinkside
He would get France so that P/C get NHK (trade) but again, not everything is sure, but that's what's planned. (French federation words)
And maybe you have assumptions what would be the second competition if one would be France?

blackey

On the Ice
He would get France so that P/C get NHK (trade) but again, not everything is sure, but that's what's planned. (French federation words)

I don't think that's how it works. p/c will definitely get NHK, because for the last couple of years every year's ice dance first seed get NHK. Hanyu could go wherever he wants, if he choose France it won't because it's a trade.

Ziotic

Medalist
Thank you Andrea82!

Both Spanish ID teams get one spot each? Can either of them get a second by invitation?

Very likely they both will as they pose no threat to any countries top teams, except China and Japan.

Ziotic

Medalist
I don't think that's how it works. p/c will definitely get NHK, because for the last couple of years every year's ice dance first seed get NHK. Hanyu could go wherever he wants, if he choose France it won't because it's a trade.

Hanyu won’t get to pick. These placements are assigned by having the host federation invite you. From my understanding unless you are the world champ you get what you get. Usually they will honour the choice of the world champions though.

Barb

Record Breaker
But P/c are not obligated to get to NHK, they like Yuzu can chose any GP. Of course it is more probable that they want NHK to Yuzu wanting France, lets face it, who would want France as first option? (i mean the organization, the country is great)

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Is Karen Chen not in the top 24 SB list? I’m not doubting she’d get two GP’s it just surprises me.

Giselle

Medalist
But P/c are not obligated to get to NHK, they like Yuzu can chose any GP. Of course it is more probable that they want NHK to Yuzu wanting France, lets face it, who would want France as first option? (i mean the organization, the country is great)

Skaters actually used to love going to the French GP because it meant travelling to Paris (and less travel than Rostelecom, COC or NHK) but since it's in Grenoble now it has lost all its appeal really...I am so rooting for a Barcelona GP or an Italian GP.

MelDee

Final Flight

Word is that the French Fed has an arrangement with the Japanese Fed that PapCiz will go to NHK if Hanyu comes to France. Not official yet but likely to be true.

Barb

Record Breaker
Well, it is a shame P/C cant chose and it will depend of if Japan send to Yuzu, and poor Yuzu risking to compete on a lagoon and recieve a plastic star.

blackey

On the Ice

p/c is not obligated. it's just everyone seems love NHK.

MelDee

Final Flight
Well, it is a shame P/C cant chose and it will depend of if Japan send to Yuzu, and poor Yuzu risking to compete on a lagoon and recieve a plastic star.

I doubt anyone would say no to NHK, and since all gold medalists usually go there, it would be the GP event of their choice anyway.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

Well they cannot have Canada and USA (World placement), and they have France of course. That leaves China, Japan, Russia, and IIRC, Russia is one week away from GP France this upcoming season (and I think RUS fed would want S/B first so no P/C) so that leaves China and NHK. And since every skaters wants NHK, I'm guessing it's very good actually (they already had China this year).

blackey

On the Ice
Word is that the French Fed has an arrangement with the Japanese Fed that PapCiz will go to NHK if Hanyu comes to France. Not official yet but likely to be true.

If this is true. I don't think Japan would care that much about having p/c? I mean ice dance is super small in Japan and whoever loyal skating fan decide to go to the event would go no matter if there is p/c or not.

Barb

Record Breaker
I doubt anyone would say no to NHK, and since all gold medalists usually go there, it would be the GP event of their choice anyway.

Exactly, it is logic they wanting NHK, but Anaysnake is implying that French fed is conditioning to let P/C going to NHK only if Japan send to Yuzuru to France.