2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

Tulipstar

Medalist
https://www.stll.fi/2018/06/28/suomeen-gp-osakilpailu-2-4-11-2018/

Ticket sales begin in early August for the GP in Finland. It's a pretty strong event, with Hanyu, Zagitova, Sui/Han etc.

It'll be good for the people who haven't been able to really go to GP events because they've not been close enough - Mostly people around the Nordic European area.

I was expecting Finland to apply for it but I honestly was still quite surprised that they actually got it. I guess no one else was interested. It's the first FS GP ever in Finland.

They were great at the Finlandia Trophy. Even though it was a senior B, the hall was pretty much full. I'm loving it (despite the cold).

randomfan

Record Breaker
Why on earth did Korea not accept the offer...:curse:

At least it went to Finland, which is nice.

Pogo was not guaranteed any spot this year. She and Gracie could use the comeback skater rule. so Gracie showing up and Anna not means the former used that clause while Anna probably wasnt submitted at all.

But didn’t the rule also state that the skater cannot have competed AT ALL after the Worlds placement? After Gracie placed 4th at 2016 Worlds, she still competed in the 2016-17 season - yes not at 2017 Worlds, but she was in the GP. Even with that, was she still allowed to use the clause?

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Why on earth did Korea not accept the offer...:curse:

At least it went to Finland, which is nice.

But didn’t the rule also state that the skater cannot have competed AT ALL after the Worlds placement? After Gracie placed 4th at 2016 Worlds, she still competed in the 2016-17 season - yes not at 2017 Worlds, but she was in the GP. Even with that, was she still allowed to use the clause?

We are currently in the 2018-19 season and Gracie did not compete during the 2017-18.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
For the assignments, do skaters accept the invitation or is it a requirement to go?

If your name was submitted for consideration is because you have manifested the intention to compete so why wouldnt they go if not injured or ill? One you withdraw you dont get consider for another event.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Pogo was not guaranteed any spot this year. She and Gracie could use the comeback skater rule. so Gracie showing up and Anna not means the former used that clause while Anna probably wasnt submitted at all.

Gracie could but Anna couldn’t because she competed last year (SC)

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Friends, please educate me. I have been out of the FS loop since the Olympics ended. Why isn't China hosting one of the GP's this year? I was so confused when I heard Finland was hosting one instead.

CHN fed announced they will not be able to host any events next year. Lots of rumours and theories about why but nothing certain.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada

Rule is:
“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting
(plus cannot have used this clause before)

So Gracie was previously seeded (from 2016 Worlds) in the last 10 years. She did not participate in one competitive season at some point following the seeding (2017-18). And she hasn't used the comeback rule before. Therefore, she can use it now.
The rule does not state that they cannot compete at any point after being seeded, but they do need to sit out a full season at some point after the seeding (and within the 10 years).

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Of COURSE the assignments dropped when I was out and about having a social life.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Rule is:
“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting
(plus cannot have used this clause before)

So Gracie was previously seeded (from 2016 Worlds) in the last 10 years. She did not participate in one competitive season at some point following the seeding (2017-18). And she hasn't used the comeback rule before. Therefore, she can use it now.
The rule does not state that they cannot compete at any point after being seeded, but they do need to sit out a full season at some point after the seeding (and within the 10 years).
So Gracie must’ve committed to doing two events, but she’s only been assigned one. This seems a little bit strange to me: the last “comeback” woman I can remember is Sasha Cohen in the 2009-10 season, and she received two invitations despite being out for much longer than Gracie. But I’m holding out for Gracie to get the Skate America TBD.

Perhaps this means we’ll see Gracie at Glacier Falls or another early competition, where she can showcase her level for USFSA? The entry deadline was yesterday.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Thoughts:

Finland:luv17:
But eh, Zhenya is in France, so I might want to go to France too. Boyang goes there as well, but wait he's in Finland too... so where shall I go? (and a lot more of this type of internal monologue).
Sofia got a spot!:hap93: and so did Eunsoo:hap10:
Cool to see Alexei turning senior.
No Alina-Zhenya battle yet
Will Eteri go to Skate Canada?
Nathan going to France...maybe I should go to France
Carolina is still competing:clap:

And most of all: Gracie Gold??:eek:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Konstantinova's score at Worlds, whopping 153 across two programs (Some top ladies score higher just for their FS), is rational enough.

Her meltdown at Worlds is irrelevant . Konstantinova is 16th on SB list and 15th on WS lists. Everyone on those lists got 2 events except for Rika Hongo. Fair enough.