2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

Naaat

Rinkside
Is there any chance for the spanish pair (Laura Barquero and Aritz Maestu) to take part in any GP event???

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Is there any chance for the spanish pair (Laura Barquero and Aritz Maestu) to take part in any GP event???

I hope so too but some of the GPs seem willing to let not all the pairs spots to be filled. I think it is because you can only get 4 pairs on at time for warm up so if you keep it to 8 then you only have to do two warm ups and no ice resurface in the middle.

With the drop outs of S/B (canada) and Y/Z (china) spots did open up and there are normally more withdrawals so fingers crossed.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I hope so too but some of the GPs seem willing to let not all the pairs spots to be filled. I think it is because you can only get 4 pairs on at time for warm up so if you keep it to 8 then you only have to do two warm ups and no ice resurface in the middle.

With the drop outs of S/B (canada) and Y/Z (china) spots did open up and there are normally more withdrawals so fingers crossed.

8 is the max for pairs events on the GP. They do two warmups for each discipline. That's the ISU's decision.

Most of the pairs spots have been filled (at least for now, someone else could still pull out), except the one at IdF open because Esbrat/Novoselov split. E/N aren't currently crossed out, but it's early enough that they'll probably fill it. The Spanish team trains in Europe, so they might get chosen.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didier will let that pairs spot sit there until it's too late to fill. That's what he always does.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Didier will let that pairs spot sit there until it's too late to fill. That's what he always does.

Isn't there a rule though, that when a spot is vacated early enough, the hosts MUST replace it? or is that exactly what you are saying, that "DIdier" is pretending that there is no spot vacated until it's too late???

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Isn't there a rule though, that when a spot is vacated early enough, the hosts MUST replace it? or is that exactly what you are saying, that "DIdier" is pretending that there is no spot vacated until it's too late???

As long as French fed doesn't inform formally ISU the withdrawal of E/N the spot will remain occupied even though we already know they have split. And yes, it will not be the first time Didier does wait until the last minute so a substitution is not mandatory anymore.

Lyssa

On the Ice
Country
France
This is just a suppose but I especially think that Didier is waiting for the "Master's France" 27-29 Sept to see if a French pairs can replace E / N. If the level of the 2 French pairs is too low for Didier, he will surely invite the Spanish pairs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is just a suppose but I especially think that Didier is waiting for the "Master's France" 27-29 Sept to see if a French pairs can replace E / N. If the level of the 2 French pairs is too low for Didier, he will surely invite the Spanish pairs.

that sounds legit

Andrea82

Medalist
Komatsubara & Koleto also were not at the top 10 list. So it seems in the end, as usual, the feds do what they please with the replacements.

Has it ever been explained in detail how the replacement list is supposed to work?
For instance:

a) is it immediately updated? If there are 2 vacancies at the same time like in Ice Dance at Rostelecom Cup, if the organizers pick Reed/Ambrulevicius first, then on the same day they fill the other slot, are they supposed to choose between 9 teams or the 11th is automatically moved into the top 10 list?

b) on a given day is the list the same for all organizers or do they take into account who has already been assigned somewhere? For example, Rostelecom couldn't choose Evdokimova/Bazin and Yavnoskaya/Lukacs as they were already in the Rostelecom roaster. Shpilevaya/Smirnov were also not "choosable" because there were already 3 Russian slots.

If they immediately move someone forward when someone else is selected and if they don't consider those already assigned to that GP, I guess Komatsubara & Koleto may have been in the top 10 list for Rostelecom.

TGee

Record Breaker
Has it ever been explained in detail how the replacement list is supposed to work?
For instance:

a) is it immediately updated? If there are 2 vacancies at the same time like in Ice Dance at Rostelecom Cup, if the organizers pick Reed/Ambrulevicius first, then on the same day they fill the other slot, are they supposed to choose between 9 teams or the 11th is automatically moved into the top 10 list?

b) on a given day is the list the same for all organizers or do they take into account who has already been assigned somewhere? For example, Rostelecom couldn't choose Evdokimova/Bazin and Yavnoskaya/Lukacs as they were already in the Rostelecom roaster. Shpilevaya/Smirnov were also not "choosable" because there were already 3 Russian slots.

If they immediately move someone forward when someone else is selected and if they don't consider those already assigned to that GP, I guess Komatsubara & Koleto may have been in the top 10 list for Rostelecom.
The thing is that there is a line in the guidance about how replacements will be determined by the host country in consultation with the ISU leads for the event.

Which allows for a fair amount of discretion, both on the country and the ISU side. Not to mention that it takes time to consult.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
For instance:

No.

I suspect "a" is true.

But, per FSU, "b" is not. At least it was not last season when the ISU switched from a 5-team to a 10-team replacement list. The draw was supposed to come from the top 10 and the top 10 did not change based on who was at that particular event.

However no one enforces the replacement rules, and Rostelecom ignored the ten athlete list last year as well. Rostelecom is also the only host country that skipped dance teams on the SB list during the initial draw for the GP this year. (Not to mention the fact that it's rather bad form to select from the bottom of the list anyway, but whatever).

Komatsubara & Koleto would still have been at least one spot--I think only one--outside the replacement list even after Reed & Ambrulevicius came off.

However Japan very likely has a host spot available. Japan can't invite K&K twice. They need someone else to invite them, and Russia needs someone to invite one of their teams. We'll see if Japan does. They may not. It doesn't hurt Russia either way. At the least, they get a low-ranked team to go up against their host teams; and at the most, they could get an invite for one of their teams on the replacement list.

The rules should be enforced, IMO. But unless they are, they will apparently be disregarded.

GF2445

Record Breaker
GP Remaining Spots Update

Skate America

M: 1 USA Pick
W: 1 USA Pick
P: 1 USA Pick
ID: 1 USA Pick + 1 TBD Pick (to replace Min/Gamelin, whose split has been confirmed)

Skate Canada International

M: 1 CAN Pick
W: -
P: -
ID: -

Grand Prix of Figure Skating- Helsinki

M: -
W: 1 FIN Pick

NHK Trophy

M: 1 JPN Pick
W: 1 JPN Pick

Rostelecom Cup

M: -
W: 1 RUS Pick
ID: 1 RUS Pick

Internationaux de France

M: 1 FRA Pick
W: 1 FRA Pick
P: 1 FRA Pick (Not ISU official, but to replace Esbrat/Novoselov, whose split has been confirmed)
ID: 1 FRA Pick

leoleo

Medalist
so if i got it right, there's no chance left for eunsoo lim to get a spot cause all the ladies spots left are for each GP country's own skaters? :(