2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 75 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
How does this happen?

How do certain skaters qualify for two spots and others only one? Why are GP allowed discretion on who they pick off this Seasons Best list? I’ve tried googling it but with no real luck.

It happens because GP hosts are the ones who do the inviting. And because the only way to be guaranteed two non-host spots is to place top 10 at Senior Worlds. So athletes like Eunsoo, who are 1. from a non-host country and 2. only just now age-eligible to compete in seniors can be easily skipped over if countries wish to skip them. And countries with athletes that are in the running for the Final in a specific discipline have every reason to skip top competitive athletes if they can. It happens with athletes from host countries as well when a field is too deep and there is more than one home athlete deserving of the host spot. McNamara & Carpenter didn't get a second berth last season although two went to Lauriault & Le Gac, Abachkina & Thauron, and Kaliszek & Spodyriev--all teams with lower SB scores. Stepanova & Bukin didn't get two after winning Junior Worlds either. It also happens to high quality athletes coming off injury, like Coomes & Buckland, who miss Worlds during a previous season. Sometimes previously injured senior athletes can mediate the issue because they are famous enough to sell tickets; but not everyone can. And even if they can, it may not be enough incentive for a host country to risk having his/her own star athletes bumped out of the Final. Host countries can swap spots for their own athletes so that's often an advantage for some athletes. However, many of the host countries also have deeper fields, a swap may not be viewed as worth it by another country if the athlete in question is competitive, and junior athletes have less base value in order to earn truly comparable season's best scores. They often come in ranked lower than they should be, and everyone knows that some of these athletes can really score higher.

Why do host countries have the power to decide many of their invitations? Because they foot the bill.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It also happens to high quality athletes coming off injury, like Coomes & Buckland, who miss Worlds during a previous season.

Yes I remember this *sobs*.

Why do host countries have the power to decide many of their invitations? Because they foot the bill.

Very interesting... Fair enough I guess.

Perhaps what we’re seeing with Eunsoo proves that perhaps the tenth best at senior worlds would be replaced with the top junior from junior worlds.

Regardless I’m still really happy for Mae.

Nirti

Medalist
:eeking::eeking::eeking:

Ok, now we know why Eunsoo didn't got NHK... She's probably replacing Dabin in one event.

We need to find 2 other canadians... Veronik Mallet? Alicia Pineault?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Invites for replacements should be in order, starting with the highest rank. Otherwise it is not fair.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Wait does Canada even have enough skaters? JGP entries cant be used.

someone Canadian probably knows better than me but names I've heard that aren't on the JGP are Veronik Mallet and Alicia Pineault
and I'd assume Eunsoo would get one of Dabin's spots.

Ziotic

Medalist
someone Canadian probably knows better than me but names I've heard that aren't on the JGP are Veronik Mallet and Alicia Pineault
and I'd assume Eunsoo would get one of Dabin's spots.

Most certainly it will go to Alicia and Veronik. The only other senoir is Michelle Long. Alicia was 6th at ACI and Veronik 4th at Finlandia.

I think Canada wouldnt have more problems inviting Eunsoo. They have no horses in the race.

I would like Kailani or Hanul to get the other slot.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sublist (no Russian or Japanese on this list cause they received max GP spots already; USA is maxed out at NHK so can't get another spot there.)
34. Eunsoo Lim (RC)
39. Angela Wang (NHK)
41. Courtney Hicks (NHK)
46. Hanul Kim
52. Starr Andrews (SA)
53. Emmy Ma (though I'm not sure she's active)
58. So Hyun An
59. Kailiani Crane
62. Matilda Algotsson (IDF)
63. Viveca LINDFORS (FIN)

Last edited:

Kara

Final Flight
Well now don’t I kind of look like a jerk to the JSF LOL. Unless all the other feds decide to be ridiculous too.

Edit: Actually they still deserve side eyes for completely ignoring the remaining top 10 SB list.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well now don’t I kind of look like a jerk to the JSF LOL. Unless all the other feds decide to be ridiculous too.

Edit: Actually they still deserve side eyes for completely ignoring the remaining top 10 SB list.

Mae was in the top 10 SB list

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

They didn't. On last year's SB list (which is the qualifying one), Meite is ahead of everyone possible for NHK to select except the Korean ladies.

Note: I'm not sure about So Hyun An's status. She was dealing with an injury at the Korean selection event and pulled out early, but that was months ago.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sublist (no Russian or Japanese on this list cause they received max GP spots already; USA is maxed out at NHK so can't get another spot there.)
34. Eunsoo Lim (RC)
39. Angela Wang (NHK)
41. Courtney Hicks (NHK)
46. Hanul Kim
52. Starr Andrews (SA)
53. Emmy Ma (though I'm not sure she's active)
58. So Hyun An
59. Kailiani Crane
62. Matilda Algotsson (IDF)
63. Viveca LINDFORS (FIN)

For the record, as others noted, Mae Bernice Meite was No. 55 on SB list, so was No. 6 out of the top 10.

Since we don't know the status of Emmy or So Hyun, here's few more beyond the list above, again no Russians or Japanese due to both countries maxing GP spots:
64. Lea Johana Dastich (she has not yet competed this season)
66. Alexia Paganini (RC)
67. Kaitlin Nguyen (she's on the USFSA international selection pool, but has not competed this season yet).
68. Ashley Lin (she was at Nebelhorn Trophy, where she did quite well)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Are they injured? ☹️
Larkyn withdrew from ACI, so I’d guess she’s injured. Gabby did the US Classic but recently withdrew from the Japan Open, so similarly, I’d guess she’s having problems. Dabin has been totally radio silent for a while.