2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 83 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

moriel

Record Breaker
Yep, overall it would be cooler if the GP selection rules were more clear, not just "pick whoever you want from list".
Something like all skaters getting spots based on SB order, for example, and automatic replacements based on same rules.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
Uh hope C/B just want some more time to recover and polish after the injury and there is no new injury or something else.

Also I really hope Shpilevaya Smirnov take the place after being treated unfair and not given the home GP. But actually is it possible after there are already two Russian couples invited there?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
omg why are people over reacting? Its literally up to fed if you are not guaranteed 2 spot and dont get 2nd GP. Better go to Worlds and place in top 12 so you can have 2 GP guaranteed or if you are from junior debuting in senior place yourself in top 24 SB so you can have 'almost' guaranteed 2 GP. dont complain to fed, we are lucky Eunsoo get 1 spot even though she's not guaranteed any spot at all.

I don’t really care who gets it. I don’t even care if the fed just didn’t want to invite her because of a perceived threat. Those arguments get us nowhere and just cause discourse. What I think is ridiculous is that the ISU doesn’t have a list of eligible athletes to replace any withdrawals with. There isn’t a single reason that comes to mind that a federation should even have the option to not invite someone. I don’t care about the travel issues either. If someone can’t make it...move down the list. It’s just such a waste in principal all conspiracy theories aside.

I actually think all GP spots should be determined based on season results (not scores for obvious reasons) and divided up statistically. Of course I wouldn’t mind to reserve one spot for a host pick but the rest should be given to athletes based on their results at events and not so that feds can skew the feild in their advantage. It would remove a lot of political motivation. Not all but some and that IMO would be a move in the right direction.

composer

On the Ice
I do wonder if it would make sense if in addition to the official entries, each GP publishes a list of maybe up to 5 substitute entries in the event of withdrawals in order of preference. Then when a withdrawal occurs they just go down the list, and if a skater is not eligible (for example 3 skaters per country limit, or substituted at an earlier GP, or signed up for Challenger in the same week etc) they can just move on to the next skater. That way the “alternates” know they have a chance of being called up instead of last minute scrambling. These alternates should be given the chance to decline with no penalty though.

kimi492

Final Flight
I hate this BS for real - why even call this a competiton when you can strategically block out skaters?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Eunsoo is the biggest threat this season. Most host countries would tried their best to look over her.

I wouldn't say that she's the biggest threat this season nor that it's the only reason for why she doesn't have another GP. Her current potential scoring and consistency are not that high that everyone is afraid to invite her. With all those withdrawals i think she will get an invite. There must be others reasons that explain why her name is not on a list yet.

I wouldn't say that she's the biggest threat this season nor that it's the only reason for why she doesn't have another GP. Her current potential scoring and consistency are not that high that everyone is afraid to invite her. With all those withdrawals i think she will get an invite. There must be others reasons that explain why her name is not on a list yet.

Yeah, it's the KSU mess, IMO. Lim is good, but I haven't seen her as big of a threat as some are finding her.

That said, I do think the GP selection process is too opaque, and open to strategic manipulation.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yeah, it's the KSU mess, IMO. Lim is good, but I haven't seen her as big of a threat as some are finding her.

That said, I do think the GP selection process is too opaque, and open to strategic manipulation.
Yes the selection process are too opaque. There is room for manipulation. But i don't know what process would be 100% fair.
What fair would even mean?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes the selection process are too opaque. There is room for manipulation. But i don't know what process would be 100% fair.
What fair would even mean?

Result based assignments.

Basically: All GP assignments besides one host pick determined by results during a particular time frame. Not scores..results. It isn’t perfect but much more fair and would prevent feds from manipulating a field. You could really increase the value/prestige of some non GP events too. Way more fair in my opinion.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfair scores bring unfair results. Results are not necessary more fair IMO.

Oh come on. Scores are far less comparable from event to event. Results are as I said...more fair. You don’t need to burn it all down to save it. No one expects a perfect system. Steps in the right direction are still good moves. Sometimes it takes time to make a correction via several steps. It’s hard not to see the beneficial nature in removing some of the political incentive as being a good thing via the way invitations are handed out.

We’re never going to completely remove judging we may disagree with. That’s just a natural occurrence. My 8.5 in transitions may look different than yours. It’s normal and why results are more reliable than scores.

Unfair scores bring unfair results. Results are not necessary more fair IMO.

It's a difficult question, and it's hard to answer, as much as, being part of the FS fandom, I'd go "unfair!". But definitely removing the "invitational" system, for one, where the Feds can select whom they invite, springs to mind first.

This also springs to mind:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...fying-titles&p=2061985&viewfull=1#post2061985

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...fying-titles&p=2062627&viewfull=1#post2062627

And then force the feds to pick invite based on rankings. Not "invite", rather determine a selection process that would respect this ranking, maybe a round robin between the six federations involved.

ETA: that's also not perfect if we consider that there will be several skaters from "smaller" skating countries that may be blocked out that way, although still better since we'll take into account overall results through the ELO (so worlds counts against very good competitors even if someone doesn't get a GP event).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
It's a difficult question, and it's hard to answer, as much as, being part of the FS fandom, I'd go "unfair!". But definitely removing the "invitational" system, for one, where the Feds can select whom they invite, springs to mind first.

This also springs to mind:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...fying-titles&p=2061985&viewfull=1#post2061985

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...fying-titles&p=2062627&viewfull=1#post2062627

And then force the feds to pick invite based on rankings. Not "invite", rather determine a selection process that would respect this ranking, maybe a round robin between the six federations involved.

Not a bad idea.
But i don't know if i'm totally for giving more weight to olympics and worlds. As we know that some talented skaters who can beat at least half of the field have to stay at home because they compete in jungle.

Candbfan

Spectator
Hope C&B just do not have their programs fully ready yet. Anyone know if C&B have a new injury they are dealing with and if they will make their second event?

moriel

Record Breaker
Not a bad idea.
But i don't know if i'm totally for giving more weight to olympics and worlds. As we know that some talented skaters who can beat at least half of the field have to stay at home because they compete in jungle.

This is why i prefer scores.
Yep, scoring can be different from event to event, but at least everybody has a chance

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
imo Eunsoo should have gotten a second spot. But while I like Kailani, she's lower down than both Angela and Starr (and others with 0 or 1 spot), so while I'd rather her get one, I can also see why she didn't.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
imo Eunsoo should have gotten a second spot. But while I like Kailani, she's lower down than both Angela and Starr (and others with 0 or 1 spot), so while I'd rather her get one, I can also see why she didn't.

And there is at least one skater with an assignment who is lower than Kailani.

princessalica

Final Flight
Lower in both best score and in ranking. It would be great if Kailani got one, but its not unfair that she hasn't. And I would love to see her do well. I'm American, but I love to cheer for the small countries!

SkySkater

On the Ice
And there is at least one skater with an assignment who is lower than Kailani.

And two Korean girls who have no assignments who are above Kailani who have no spots as well as four Russian girls who should get them but can’t due to the rules of the GP despite it being supposed to be a place for the best skaters. It’s a pity Kailani doesn’t have one but she’s not the biggest victim of the arbitrarieness of the Grand Prix system.