2018-2019 Grand Prix Final Men's Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Grand Prix Final Men's Free Skate

rei00

Rinkside
I have yet to wstch this, but judjing from this thread...
Shoma! You can do gorgeous jumps! You're gorgeous skater! You don't seem to be nervous person. So why, Shoma? Why do you do this to me all your senior years?

And I'm so glad for Jun!

(Please tell me Shoma sacrificed himself for his teammate Satoko's clean fs >_<)

champagnerain

Final Flight
It looks like maybe the judges all revised their GOEs on Shoma's 4F when they saw it was called UR? It had high positive GOE in the score box on the ice, or am I hallucinating? And now the GOE is negative. That could account for some of the score loss, in addition to the 4S<< and the 4F<.

Danny T

Medalist
Couldn't comment during the event because I was on my phone, but yay for Jun!! :yahoo: I wish both Michal and Jun could medal, but since they can't, Michal is back as Potato King :p

Junhwan and Brezina's skates were the standout one TBH. The splat was on their first jump only, everything else after was really fire :clap:

I almost had a heart attack when Keegan fell on the 3A. Like holy crap, I hope he's OK . 4Lz was cool. Voronov might not be the best, but is still kinda Russian #1 reliable man LOL.

Nathan and Shoma's free were both meh. Empty, empty, empty. If this was ladies' event, they wouldn't even cross 8 in PCS. Nathan got props for having choreo in the last 30 seconds, Shoma got props ... for using his knees, I guess. Podium was correct. I felt my eyebrows raising higher and higher when I saw some of those GOEs for Nathan, but then Shoma skated and I was like ... nevermind. Nathan deserved the win. Good luck for the rest of your finals, Nate :laugh:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Definitely the standout performance of the night. Watching him blossom this season has been so wonderful!

He was criminally underscored at Sochi. :noshake: I’ve been trying to convince people he’s good and then JULIEEEET happened but then became a meme.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Protocols!

*Everyone who opened with a quad splat had the quad called UR (Cha, Brezina).
*Nathan’s 4Lz was called <
*Shoma’s 4S was downgraded, as assumed, and the 4F marked <
*Messing’s 4Lz was ratified
*The TP was, in fact, kinda drunk when it came to Voronov, or at least not checking planned content against reality.
*Cha’s 3Lz and Nathan’s flips both escaped !/e calls.

sun110

Final Flight
Why did Shoma's free leg almost touch the ice on landing so often? Especially today. Was he sick? Or just nervous?

oatmella

&#38472;&#24013;
Record Breaker
Congrats to Nathan on his well deserved win :luv17:

He wasn't perfect - but he was the best today and he did enough.

bobbob

Medalist
Why did Shoma's free leg almost touch the ice on landing so often? Especially today. Was he sick? Or just nervous?

This is nothing unusual. Shoma does not jump very high which gives him little room to land so he needs to bend his free leg.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Orser was never known for coaching Canadian skaters, frankly.

Nice skate from Junhwan. This silly program has become something of a cult classic now.

Well, he was first approached by Yuna Kim to become her coach while he was still touring. And he has (had) Canadian skaters, too: Nguyen (who left him to train on the same ice as his girl friend) who was 5th at Worlds while being trained by Orser. Currently he is coaching at least these Canadian skaters, Pha and Daleman. Daleman has won a World bronze medal and a Four Continents silver medal.

Congratulatons to all medalists and especially to Cha for his fantastic freeskate in spite of a fall in the beginning. He got season´s best score at this prestigious event, WOW!!! I kind of hoped Cha to medal as his scores from GP events were higher than those of Brezina, Voronov and Messing.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, colour me shocked! No doubt I was a little heartbroken at the end of Nathan's skate, telling myself inside that being the silver medallist was perfectly respectable and he'd done great - and I thought Shoma had it. I had no idea about his dodgy landings at all, I just thought that welp he didn't fall, I guess he wins, congrats?? Then Nate won?? I would have loved to stay for the victory ceremony but it was already almost 11 so I had to haul ***. PS it was a nightmare trying to catch a bus (alongside 500 other people) and now I am deadass convinced that victory ceremonies take up too much time and must be done in galas only. We gotta get home, people!

PS I sat like five feet away from PChiddy when he was doing his russian roulette thing. He is exactly as goofy and buggy-eyed looking in real life as he is on TV lol.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
Finally home from the stadium, wow I would not give the organizers high marks for their transit support despite the fact that I'm an UBC student and should be supporting the venue choice...

I thought Shoma and Nathan did around equally well and was therefore glad that the gold went to Nathan, since Nathan's jumps were (and have nearly always been) more textbook and clean than Shoma's. I wish Shoma would experiment more with music styles - his programs have been giving me the same vibe for years now and I want him to show me something different before I jump on the "Shoma is such an artist/great performer" wagon.

I felt bad for Voronov and Keegan, but was glad that they rallied and gave us complete programs even despite the falls and bad landings, especially Keegan - I feel so bad for the guy, trying to perform his heart out in front of a sold out home crowd while he was called up last minute and also had to deal with the earthquake in Alaska right before the event. Brezina's program was nice and felt very European to me for some reason - feel like I've just seen that style and aesthetic so much more from the Europeans than the Americans or the Japanese - hope to see more of it soon!

Junhwan... reminded me of Yuzuru for some reason. It might be because they're both training at CC. But there's something about the way he moves across the ice and approaches the program. Of course, he still requires more years of experience and polish, but I'm going to cautiously follow him a bit more closely to see if he'll turn out to be as cool as Yuzu. xD

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Congrats to Nathan, Shoma and Junhwan.

OT, but I love the Pac-Man boards! So cute!