2018 Asian Open Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Asian Open Free Dance

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Yay! Wang/Liu win it! I liked the FD a lot, but i think my favourite for them this year will be their short.

Agreed, the FD was nice, but Pirates of the Caribbean with clapping... :agree:

Eclair

Medalist
the lift in the middle was good, but overall the FD felt a little bit flat. Especially the beginning could be improved.. I thought the dress was a rehearsal dress bc her costume is not ready.. I hope it's not the final dress.. From a choreographic standpoint, their FD last season was a lot more nuanced and innovative.. Hopefully they'll improve during the season.

oly2018

Final Flight
I am happy for them! I didn't like the long, but I think the RD will be a good vehicle for them this season.

The Parsons have some work to do. I really like the free, but there were a few too many bobbles. I think this would have been a great vehicle for them, but I don't know if they will be able to push past the P/C comparisons.

blue eyed birds

Spectator
Ning/Wang also tried to recreate Virtue/Moir's Farrucas OD in the second half of their rhythm dance last night, so it seems imitation is truly their sincerest means of flattery.

Danny T

Medalist
Only managed to find a fancam of W/L's free. I love it!! :love: The lifts are spectacular as always, I like the music and their intepretation a lot.

My only complaint is that I think they get a little too slow in the middle part of the music. I think speed is what hurts their PCS, so I'd prefer seeing a little more speed, although the mood has to be still languid because the music is slow then.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Okay, so I woke up and watched the Top 3 dance teams. My first impressions:

Komatsubara/Koleto - Nice execution of elements from them. I don't really like the music as I find it a bit monotonous. Their program didn't move me but they showed some good interpretation. Their character step sequence was well choreographed to highlight the joyful nature of that section. I think this a big confidence booster for them to finish second in the FD ahead of the Parsons and a close 3rd overall.

Parsons/Parsons - I enjoyed this program much better than their rhythm dance. As I mentioned for their RD, they have good speed across the ice and their matching body lines are their strengths. The technical panel gave Rachel's set of twizzles no level due to the mistake. That itself probably costed them 4 points in BV and GOE. Their second half was better executed but I'm not too sure about the added beats to the music to create a change. Although I would like a better range of expression from them, I appreciate the flow and continuity in their movements. This FD would work well for them with better polish.

Wang/Liu - Marie-France and Patrice did great work on both their programs. This is a more mature and dark free dance than what they have done in the past. Their projection has improved and you can see their attack especially at the beginning and end of their dance. Loving the new spin exit, one of the highlights of the program. They had good expression and commitment throughout but Shiyue showed quite a bit of concentration during the footwork sequences. I liked how her dress flowed during their signature lift at the beginning. However, I think they should add some transitions between the rotational and curved lift rather than just doing crossovers in between. All choreographic elements were highlights. Overall, an excellent early season outing for them. With more polish and also commitment during the footwork, which will come as they progress through the season, this dance could become a signature piece for them. These two programs should push them to further improve their emotional depth and range. Congratulations Wang/Liu and what a way to start the new season! :)

nocturnalis

Medalist
Does anyone know if that Chinese team is at Gadbois? If they are, that just seems like bad form for the center. At least try to give them different music with a similar vibe if they are going to recycle a recent program.

I remember a Chinese team did V/M's Latch last season. Maybe the same team?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm a terrible employee, just caught up on top 3 at Asian Open:drama::palmf:. Also, having smartphone that has Internet access is probably too much temptation for me:laugh:

Komatsubara/Koleto - a pleasant program, just too forgettable and 'sappy' at places for me; a steady vehicle for them, nice musicality throughout the program, elements pretty much highlighting highs and lows of music, not convinced to the middle part though and then being back to 'Love Story' theme. It's hard at this point for me to say something more and 'deeper' about the performance - it was okay, nothing groundbreaking nor spectacular, but I doubt that was the intention behind it.

Parsons - Rachel's nervousness influenced for me the whole dance...Too much wobbles (first lift entrance, twizzles) interfering the much-desired flow in movement to match the music, also her arms/lines of them were not hitting the mark sometimes I feel (especially when they were in holds or when this harmony in lines was desired to be). The program, the music, the aesthetic is looking good on them, but for me it lacks 'punch' somehow, this eye-catching effect to hold, maybe it will grow with each performance. The ending was looking kinda awkward, but maybe it was the matter of filming/camera angle: too rushed, lines not extended (but good timing on that last choreo lift and ending pose though). It has to look lighter and more effortless in motion, but having that strength, meaningful/purposeful spring in movement, right now it's a bit too much relying on music and moving through the motions for me. This is a good vehicle/direction for them to take, but it requires WORK to make it work the magic.

Wang/Liu - honestly, I did not see that kind of program coming from them, but I'm no one to complain, a stuff with huge promise. Very nice balance in modern take and 'edginess' in vibe of the whole program, definitely has some character/identity to it they both need to embrace, she's already performing quite soundly with her body and her face. As always, fantastic lifts - and if I remember myself this whole split talk after Milan Worlds on them I shudder; they compliment each other perfectly which is most visible in lifts. Again, nice musicality through choreography, lots of nice, little moments highlighted by gesture, movement. It is something new for them, more dark and 'edgy' comparing to previous stuff and they look quite believable, into it while performing.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Wang/Liu - honestly, I did not see that kind of program coming from them, but I'm no one to complain, a stuff with huge promise. Very nice balance in modern take and 'edginess' in vibe of the whole program, definitely has some character/identity to it they both need to embrace, she's already performing quite soundly with her body and her face. As always, fantastic lifts - and if I remember myself this whole split talk after Milan Worlds on them I shudder; they compliment each other perfectly which is most visible in lifts. Again, nice musicality through choreography, lots of nice, little moments highlighted by gesture, movement. It is something new for them, more dark and 'edgy' comparing to previous stuff and they look quite believable, into it while performing.

Yes, I love this new free dance from them! I was a bit fearful that Marie-France/Patrice would give them their typical soft, lyrical program, which wouldn't have suited them. This dance on the other hand has a lot of potential to grow throughout the season and push their interpretation skills. I agree they have the chemistry to pull it off. I'm hoping though that M-F/P can work with them on their edges in the midline step sequence especially and their speed in general. However, their one foot step sequence is a choreographic highlight and perfectly matches with the staccato of the lyrics. It's only been a few months since their coaching change and I'm already liking what I see :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Yes, I love this new free dance from them! I was a bit fearful that Marie-France/Patrice would give them their typical soft, lyrical program, which wouldn't have suited them. This dance on the other hand has a lot of potential to grow throughout the season and push their interpretation skills. I agree they have the chemistry to pull it off. I'm hoping though that M-F/P can work with them on their edges in the midline step sequence especially and their speed in general. However, their one foot step sequence is a choreographic highlight and perfectly matches with the staccato of the lyrics. It's only been a few months since their coaching change and I'm already liking what I see :)

They both look comfortable with that style in my opinion - for me, they've always had a great basic skills, but they needed more engaging/complex material which would challenge them performance/presentation-wise to upper their game. And both programs this season could do that, there's a lot of potential - with such material, they can focus now on smoothing things out, perfecting transitions, getting into the music more. My vanity side calls for more refined costumes for FD, with definitely some pop of colour or metallic accents:laugh:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
They both look comfortable with that style in my opinion - for me, they've always had a great basic skills, but they needed more engaging/complex material which would challenge them performance/presentation-wise to upper their game. And both programs this season could do that, there's a lot of potential - with such material, they can focus now on smoothing things out, perfecting transitions, getting into the music more. My vanity side calls for more refined costumes for FD, with definitely some pop of colour or metallic accents:laugh:

Yes, I think using black in both programs is not a good idea; although, I think someone mentioned upthread that these are just standby costumes and the real ones are not ready yet. I think a maroon dress may work for this program, a dark tone with a tinge of red to highlight the theme.