2018 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies Short Program | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies Short Program

Ziotic

Medalist
She’s been getting nailed on that since juniors. Why does she keep doing instead of a different jump with good GOE? I guess ! is better than e but still.

She got an e, the exclamation point was actually grammar, not an unclear edge 😂

yude

Record Breaker
I just hope Wakababy is not injured, she looked... not like her.
She can do much, much better! I can see this is a great program but it needs more energy and it needs musicality and power! And Wakaba has all of these things.
I guess this just wasn’t her day.

Wakaba had a cramp in her right leg yesterday and she still had in the competition. (https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180921-00000047-sph-spo) I hope she will recover fully by GPS.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A ! Call on that Lutz? I guess that’s an improvement in judging. What I’m more surprised is that her PCS scores are so low. I guess the judges aren’t enamored with her new mature style as I am.

It's still one of the highest PCS scores given this season. Only Satoko beats her by a hair. And she's clear about everyone else who competed this season by at least 2-3 points.

There's always a bit of a deflation in scores with the start of a new Olympic cycle.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Medvedeva 3T is so UR, how could they not call it?

They called the Lutz. It’s been a long time since they’ve been allowed to do their jobs; let’s let them shake off the rust before we get too angry. [emoji23]

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They are taking their sweet time, aren't they? :laugh: #eagerfans

- - - Updated - - -

PROTOCOLS

Russian judge liked Alexia as much as I did and I applaud them for giving her the highest scores...by a noticable margin in some cases. :yahoo:

It was a wonderful program!

Shanshani

On the Ice
Wow, Evgenia's PCS are shockingly low given the previous scoring patterns of the judges. I don't think she performed her choreo particularly well on this outing, but usually PCS is weirdly insensitive to how skaters actually performed. So either judges are actually starting to grade PCS more by the performance in front of them, or they're taking the rule that skates with errors should not have top PCS very seriously. Or there's some weird politicking going on in the background, like Rusfed pulling their political support away from Zhenya. Hopefully it's the first one and not the last one!

Edit: or post Olympic deflation is a possibility too, I guess. the scores at lombardia seemed pretty high though (but maybe that's just lombardia)

rikaquegira

On the Ice
It will definitely be interesting to watch how the scores progress.
I think there’s a mix of post-Olympics deflation with early in the season.
Almost none of the top ladies so far have skated their programs super well. They are all a little rough around the edges.

moriel

Record Breaker
A ! Call on that Lutz? I guess that’s an improvement in judging. What I’m more surprised is that her PCS scores are so low. I guess the judges aren’t enamored with her new mature style as I am.

Pretty much the program would look cool if she had sass, but she was way too nervous with the jumps, and only started to perform after her last jumping pass.

moriel

Record Breaker
Lombardia scores did not seem so high to me. The über-juniors all scored higher.

I also thought it might some kind of deflation, not post Olympic but with the new GOE system the judges could want to reset the bar. I was surprised when they didn't do it at the JGPs, but the seniors seem to be taking the brunt here.

Or maybe judges finally noticed that junior ladies are starting to get more entretaining than seniors.

Shanshani

On the Ice
Lombardia scores did not seem so high to me. The über-juniors all scored higher.

I also thought it might some kind of deflation, not post Olympic but with the new GOE system the judges could want to reset the bar. I was surprised when they didn't do it at the JGPs, but the seniors seem to be taking the brunt here.

I disagree. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva received two -2s for a fall, which is generous to the point of literally being against the GOE rules. I also distinctly remember thinking Shoma Uno's scores were generous. His free skate was super messy yet his PCS was 89+, and he got super high GOEs in his short and PCS 93+, which I believe is equal to the PCS he got for being clean last season. The judging does seem considerably harsher at this event than lombardia

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Or maybe judges finally noticed that junior ladies are starting to get more entretaining than seniors.

Putting the caveat that judging panels are different, blah, blah, blah --- the scores reflect, at this point that the Russian junior ladies simply out TES the seniors thus far. Which isn't really different from the last few seasons. The gap is much wider, but I expect that it will be bridged as people get over the Olympic hangover -- let's face it, few skaters are scoring at their peak from the Olympics and that's to be expected.

The gap is much higher, which is why it looks so much significant, but Zhenya's PCS scores are still notably higher than pretty much every lady except Satoko, which I guess you can argue is a concern.

There's just not a ton of data points to go on really, IMO.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Bradie - she's improved! Interesting SP. Jumps are fine, and while I find her arms a bit stiff, I really appreciate the effort she's making in her presentation. I'm excited to see how this program develops over the season.

Evgenia - I think I'll like Orser-fied Evgenia, but she seemed a bit off today. I was also surprised by her score - lower than I expected considering how judges have scored her in the past. But I guess I can't make conclusions about it yet - new judging system/GOE, first competition jitters, etc. We need to see her and the other top ladies compete in more events. This makes me very curious to see how the scores pan out in the GP series.

Wakaba - uhhhhh well that is a choice. Very, very unique music selection. I don't know how I feel about the program yet, but at least it's not boring!

kimi492

Final Flight
What will it take for judges to edge call Evgenia on her Lutz?? They certainly didn’t mind with Wakaba! When are we going to call this for what it is and not tip toe around the issue?

Shanshani

On the Ice
I should note that Zhenya did jump her lutz in the corner least visible to the judges/tech panel, so that might account for Lz! instead of Lze

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I should note that Zhenya did jump her lutz in the corner least visible to the judges/tech panel, so that might account for Lz! instead of Lze

I noticed that too and to think .... I thought only Eteri could be so Evil :dev3:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad I'm not the only one that liked Wakaba's program. It had a bad outing today, but I see a lot of potential.

I’m reserving judgement until I have better audio and a better effort. The music was great and I’m hoping to change my opinion from unsure to bout it bout it :)

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Besides flutz and messy 2A Evgenia had URed 3T in combination (which of course wasn't marked). Step sequence, spins and skating skills degraded considerably too. 70+ scores for her is humiliation for other more clean and better skaters. Honestly if not reputational judging she deserved no more than 60 for this sp.