2018 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies Short Program | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies Short Program

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
Yay for Andrea Montesinos skating to Swing da Cor, it's nice to see skaters using more Brazilian music besides samba.

Wakaba also used a piece sung in Portuguese, I've never heard it before but I like it. The program can be interesting when clean.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I like new style Zhenya, the programme and her looks/costume. However, she's not completely re-connected with her old abilities yet. I'm sure, Brian will fix that and this programme will get better as the season goes on. :yes:

ragdoll

On the Ice
I was dissapointed watching Medvedeva's SP. I feel that style doesnn't suit her at all and the judges seem to agree which was reflected in the PCS. It is still early in the season though and it may get better but still.... Not at all my cup of tea.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Zhenya looked very nervous. Her 2A issue seems to be more frequent now, it’s probably because she’s changing technique. Her Lutz definitely looked more like a ! than an outright e to me but it was hard to tell, even in slowmotion. Thus - benefit of the doubt - ! ;)

Wakaba was off, really shocking. I think because her 3F was downgraded they also dinged the edge. Had it been properly rotated, I think it would have been only an ! because the edge is about as bad as Med‘s if not slightly better.

Bradie was on fire. I love her program and almost can‘t believe this is the same person I was cringing while watching her skating around to Cinderella with a tiara on her head last year. That 3F didn‘t look under to me but the judging generally seems to be harsher at this event.

Overall, I think Bradie and Zhenya were head to head here and even though I adore Zhenya, I‘m inclined to give Bradie the lead here based of their performance. But because I‘m biased as heck and don‘t try to hide it, I‘m really glad Zhenya still got the lead! :laugh: I think she needs to grow into this program a little more and then it will be fabulous. The interpretation was definitely better at test skates, you could see the nerves her. Also, she needs more transitions and one-footed skating! Judges are more harsh with step sequence this year it seems and she needs to get level 4 on everything. Spins are fine. I‘m now hoping she remembers her FS choreo this time and lands her jumps. Crossing my fingers for all of them and hoping for an outcome of:

1. Zhenya
2. Bradie
3. Wakaba

Normally, I‘d have Wakaba in second but it‘s hard not to admire Bradie after that spectacular outing. Wakaba definitely can land on the podium but as she‘s facing trouble with a cramp or something, it might be hard. Here‘s to hoping she‘s healthy and all girls having a wonderful FS tonight! And of course a special shoutout to my one and only favourite Zhenya: You can do it! :ghug:

I won‘t be able to watch it live, unfortunately, but I‘m hoping to wake up to good news tomorrow! :yahoo:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Feels to me like they gave Zhenya the Joshi Helgesson treatment. I'm not convinced at all yet, and I miss her old aesthetic which was always conceptually daring and captivating. I know it'll take time for her to grow into the new approach. Her skating was still beautiful to watch.

So shocked that Maé-Bérénice didn't have a bizarro music transition! What's going on here!? It's a lovely program. Those jumps are terrifying though.

Wakaba got the Ashley Wagner treatment? It feels to me like she's really disconnected to the program. We'll see how she grows into it. It's different, which is cool, but doesn't feel like a natural fit. Maybe she was just trying to relax and get through it.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Wakaba should maybe withdraw. With those cramps better to not risk an injury.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I was dissapointed watching Medvedeva's SP. I feel that style doesnn't suit her at all and the judges seem to agree which was reflected in the PCS. It is still early in the season though and it may get better but still.... Not at all my cup of tea.
It may not be your cup of tea, but I think the style is okay for Medvedeva. She has had fun and even flirty exhibition programs that she sold quite well, so I don't think the style itself is what made her uncomfortable and not selling the program like she did her old ones. It's more likely that the pressure of the first competition after the coaching change and in general, including expectations both from fans and haters, as well as the extra concentration because of the new jumping technique, all got to her a bit, and that's why she was not performing with full conviction and ease. Even at the Russian test skates she performed more, as it could be seen from photos (because the videos were filmed from such an angle that we couldn't see her facial expressions much).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Bradie's program is really interesting. Choreo and performance wise she was the best.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Bradie's program is really interesting. Choreo and performance wise she was the best.

I agree, she impressed me the most from all, she looks much more confident and refined now comparing to last season, I applaud that she seems to grow both her presentation/style and her technical abilities. The program kind of gives her a new outlook and gives her a nice, interesting contrast to past season, something darker and edgier to her fairy, delicate appearance. I like the choreo that flows nice with the music, positioning of jumps and spins. And I watched it today during breakfast, sitting next to Polina Tsurskaya, Stanislava Konstantinova and Daniel Samohin's table;)

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I really liked the choreography of both Bradie and Evgenia's programs, but I thought that both of them needed to project/perform more. Evgenia seemed really nervous and not her usual 'performer' self. I'm sure that they will both improve in this respect as the season progresses, so they have good bases on which to build. Bradie's jumps are much more stable than Evgenia's (for obvious reasons), but Evgenia has much better speed and skating skills. I feel like Bradie needs more power in her skating. I really liked both of their costumes and unusual music choices as well. :)

It's good to see Mae Berenice have a solid skate. There's something about her that always makes me root for her. I appreciate her powerful presence on the ice, but, as someone previously said, her jumps are a bit scary looking. She just does not seem to have much natural spring.

Starr had a lovely costume, but she just seems rough around the edges to me, in all aspects of her skating. She really needs to go back to the basics, I think. Also, I'm not sure if it's her posture or the costume, but she's another skater, like Radionova, who seems to have no neck when she skates. Some ballet training would do Starr a world of good.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Zhenya should really switch to a 3Lo until the 3Lz edge is fixed.
And sheesh, StSq3 for her, she of all people can definitely hit a 4...

mikeko666

Final Flight
Evgenia looked so nervous. Watching her performance, I wondered if she understood the lyrics at all. Bradie's interpretation was much more convincing, yet she received 8.00 for IN while Evgenia did 8.75. :noshake:

composer

On the Ice
I couldn’t watch live and only watched the ladies I was most curious about, but I thought the ones I saw were excellent for so early in the season.

Bradie - wow and wow! 3Lz3Lo, beautiful dress, beautiful program and music.
Evgenia - Beautiful program, this will be a stunner when she turns on the full charm and hits all the musical highs and lows.
Wakaba - lovely original program. I’ll have to be honest I spent most of the program admiring her dress. It is so deceptively simple looking but the sparkles are exquisitely placed.
Brooklee - an oldie but goodie program, and she still has her gorgeous layback spin position.
Kailani - I haven’t watched her entire repetoire but I think this program is somewhat of a stretch musically for her? I recall her doing more energetic programs usually, she did a lovely job here and I’m glad to see her trying a different style.

This post-Olympic season is going to birth classics, you heard it here first 😛