2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Short Program

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I should be ashamed for thread-jacking, and contributing to the delinquency of a moderator.

Anyway, I wanted to follow up. I'm always at the mercy of the caller regarding levels, but to my eye, he just looked stronger and more mature. Whatever held that back from a L4 will be rectified, I'm certain.

Overall, I think I'm seeing a transition to a nice-looking young man, rather than an overgrown kid. Not just the hair (although that certainly contributes to a more mature look, IMO) but the WAY he skated. I'm definitely NOT of the cats in heat sort of guy, but I did like the program. I'm interested in seeing it develop.

It's in the right place now. :)

I'm not too worried about the levels. It seems they have been strict with level 4s so far this season, so I'm not surprised it got a level 3. He got mostly +4 and +5, which is great.

I think what is impressive for me that he looked really relaxed and happy. He made it clear how devastating not making the Olympic team was last season -- to the point he considered not competing this season, but I'm glad he took action and came back. And it's a nice comeback so far.

Okay I really need to get running cause I really want to watch those other SP videos!!!!

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
Junhwan was amazing :love: The layback in the last CCoSp was lovely

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ted Barton was so funny with his disclaimer.

So Jason - 1. Announcers-0 :laugh:

Watching the stream of the last two groups and exact quote here:
"I'm going to read this exactly as written. Just so you're prepared."

Oh Ted, you're so cute, even when you awkwardly explaining why you have to say certain naughty words.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Finally watched Julian Yee, and wow, he has talent. (And he's also pretty good-looking ;)) Now I get why all of you were disagreeing with his score, I'm with you all. He deserved more for that performance.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I finally watched the whole thing in like 3 separate sittings. (Toddlers, I tell you. The second sitting was utterly unproductive with my daughter demanding cookies the whole time I was trying to watch)

A few notes:
-- I like Yuzu's program for it's subtleness. I feel like a lot of his programs tended to be big, epic things, which I appreciate, but I liked that this was more understated -- it allowed him to highlight his skating a little more. Of course his entrances to all those hard jumps are unreal. Too bad about the spin error, but it happens.
-- It was nice to see Jun-Hwan perform so well. I like the dancy feel to it and his jumps were wonderful -- I like the entrance into the 3A and it's cool to see the 3Z-3Lo! I'm not too crazy about the clock step sequence, cause honestly that seems to be more of a Cinderella thing, but that is a bit of a nit-pick.
-- I'm happy to see Jason do so well. I think while he made this high-profile move to TCC and all, I do think he benefited by being relatively under the radar in recent months and I think that is what he needed. I do think he trolled us all with his "I'm not at all cylinders" talk, but as some pointed out, he might have higher expectations, so perhaps this is just the start. This program feels like a mature version of his Question of U program from way back in 2013-2014 and I feel it reflects Jason's growth as a skater and a person since then.
-- I enjoyed Roman's program even with the jumps not quite there. A quiet elegance.
-- Julian definitely deserved a higher score! At least he got his 4S ratified, that is a big achievement! He is really making his mark and representing his country so well! Julian is known for high-energy performances, so it was fun to see him do a more lyrical piece.
-- It was good to see Kevin Reynolds back for one more season. I wish he could clean up his URs, but at least his program was fun to watch! I really feel Kevin has come up with fun programs.
-- I enjoyed Bennet Toman as well. He is entertaining and it's nice he used a different Moulin Rouge cut for his program to the point I didn't even realize it was from that movie!
-- And oh! Kevin Aymoz is always a delight to watch, even when he makes jump mistakes. As Ted said, he really goes all out as a performer sometimes at the cost of hitting his technical content. I really enjoyed his SP and I hope to see it in better shape in future competitions.

Azikin

Medalist
I understand that people can like Jason's new hairstyle, after all we live in such era, but I sure miss his long hair...

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I finally got around to watching the men's SP. Here are my thoughts:

-Kevin: I always appreciate his interesting and unusual music choices, and I thought that this program worked well for him, especially the middle section. I hope that he will be able to get his underrotations cleaned up. As always, I wish that he had more speed and power, but it's probably too late in his career to make significant progress on those issues. I wonder what would happen if he even spent a few hours a week working with ice dancers on stroking/etc. Anyway, I liked his costume, but I'm not sure about the curly hair. ;)
-Roman: I can't get over how tall and mature Roman looks - wow! He is so smooth and polished, with great skating skills and spins. Hopefully the jumps will come together for him. They have nice pop, and I like the look of the delayed rotation. This program seems to be a good fit for him, and his costume, while simple, suits the program.
-Bennet: I don't think that I have ever seen Bennet skate before, but he seems pretty solid. I like the program (I'm always a fan of Rufus Wainwright!) and his costume. Hopefully he can work on getting more pop in his jumps. I feel like much of what he does is about very fast rotation rather than power, so it's not as impressive looking.
-Yuzuru: Yuzuru is always impressive, of course, but I am not feeling this program. It was rough around the edges (especially the spins), as expected this early in the season, but I didn't really get into it until the footwork (which was great!). It was very understated, to the point of being a bit snoozy. He seemed sort of indifferent and kept looking down at the ice.
-Junhwan: I don't think that I've ever watched him before either, but he was very good - well rounded, with good jumps, spins, skating skills, etc. I'm not a huge fan of the program, but he performed it decently well.
-Jason: I definitely saved the best for last! Wow, what a great program for Jason! :) He has really 'levelled up' this season - He maintained everything that was great and special about him, and then made further improvements. The new hair/look/demeanor are all so much more mature and, dare I say, sexy, particularly for a program like this. As much as people are always going on and on about his jumps, the ones that he does have are beautiful - minimal set-up, great air position, and lovely flow out. I hope that he has a wonderful season! This is by far my favourite SP so far, from any discipline.

- - - Updated - - -

Trying yo find the standings after the SP. Who are 1st-3rd?

Here is the page with all of the competition info: https://skatecanada.ca/2018-autumn-classic-international/

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
-Roman: I can't get over how tall and mature Roman looks - wow! He is so smooth and polished, with great skating skills and spins. Hopefully the jumps will come together for him. They have nice pop, and I like the look of the delayed rotation. This program seems to be a good fit for him, and his costume, while simple, suits the program.

He's 6'1" according to his Skate Canada National Team bio, or 6' 1/2" according to his ISU bio. I said in Sadovsky's Fan Fest that he looks so much more grown-up and mature compared to last season, and you can see that in his skating here. I was thinking during his SP practice that his torso seemed bigger and more muscular, and he appears to be stronger now. I've noticed that his PCS for this SP is over 3 points higher than what he got at the 2017 Skate America, so the judges clearly approve of the greater sophistication in his presentation skills. I agree with Ted Barton's commentary that Roman is a spectacular skater and Debbi Wilkes' opinion that he has become a leading man. :luv17:

Now that Sadovsky looks more like a man and less like a teenager when he skates, is it just me, or does he appear more Jeff Buttle-like (albeit taller)? My mind exclaimed the whole time while he performed his SP, "Goodness gracious, he reminds me even more of Jeff than before! How is this possible?!" :jaw:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It´s always a great pleasure to watch the skating of Hanyu and so it was in this competition, too. Of course he is not ready with his program this early in the season, but it was a great sp anyway.

The skater who most impressed me was Cha with his genuine interpretation of the music. His whole body interprets it! And his skating style looks great, flow and big jumps, WOW.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Reynolds: i'm happy to see him competing again, i've always enjoyed his skating a lot. He finally got an hairstyle that suits him. Lovely step sequence, always a joy to watch.

Brown: I love this new look (as many of you :laugh:)! He wasn’t flawless but sold the program very well. i'm happy that with all the changes he didn't lose what makes him special and one of the best in the men field even without quads.

Cha: i've got a soft spot for him, so i'm very happy to watch such a great performance :biggrin: i hope to see him often on the podium this year.

Hanyu: what could i say about him that hasn't already been said? he's entirely on another level even when he keeps things simple (or makes some mistakes :biggrin:). about the program itself it will grow on me, i guess.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It´s always a great pleasure to watch the skating of Hanyu and so it was in this competition, too. Of course he is not ready with his program this early in the season, but it was a great sp anyway.

The skater who most impressed me was Cha with his genuine interpretation of the music. His whole body interprets it! And his skating style looks great, flow and big jumps, WOW.

Yuzu is always dodgy in his first program (the WR last year was an anomaly, albeit a great one) and always scores don at ACI - why should this be any different?

Cha is going to be great this year, I just know it.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Heck yes to Bennett Toman (sp?) skating to Rufus Wainwright - "Complainte de la butte." Gorgeous. Loving the subtle homage to Kaetlyn Osmond as well.

Roman Sadovsky is getting better and better - I am so excited.

The most I've ever liked Jason Brown! So happy that the coaching change seems to have brought more polish. I really connected to that.

Kévin Aymoz's SP might be one of my favorites of all time... That is just beautiful. No words.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Heck yes to Bennett Toman (sp?) skating to Rufus Wainwright - "Complainte de la butte." Gorgeous. Loving the subtle homage to Kaetlyn Osmond as well.

Roman Sadovsky is getting better and better - I am so excited.

The most I've ever liked Jason Brown! So happy that the coaching change seems to have brought more polish. I really connected to that.

Kévin Aymoz's SP might be one of my favorites of all time... That is just beautiful. No words.

toman is my man ;) i love his SP

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
toman is my man ;) i love his SP
I know I've seen him a few times before, but I don't remember all that distinctly. This program is a total knock out. So beautiful! You were there weren't you?!

Junwan Cha (sp?) was amazing as well! Seems like a lot of breakthroughs on the men's side. I'm just catching up on the Men's SP.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
As some of you know, I was in Bratislava for Nepela Trophy, I came back home today and instead of resting my deformed back courtesy of train's seat or sleeping (because I don't know how the heck those seats are suitable for comfortable sit, let alone sleep, travelling at night like I did...), what am I doing? Re-watching ACI and trying to form some coherent thoughts:) :) :). As often in my case, post will be long, but the ACI fever is slowing down, so there won't be many victims of that overwriting:laugh:

First of all, after watching just a few SPs from the event I am blown by diversity in repetoire, about this variety of choices, musical, stylistical, interpretational - I really feel that most of these guys gave us some 'new beginnings' vibe, starting new quad and a lot of them really showed a deep embracing of uniqueness inside them or confirmed it, through movement, interpretation, music, aesthetic, elements/choreography. And this is the real win for me from this event, there is so much to see and worthy understanding, worthy our attention, with lots of value that is for me way beyond base value of a layout. So many 'breakouts' out of skaters' shells, so many memorable performances and little things in them.

I am with everyone on 'Julian was robbed' front - I saw this SP live in Milan and despite associating Julian with more upbeat, characteristic pieces, this program shows off his amazing musicality and how his body is pliable to music. He has the strenght, but also a delicacy and softness to pull this kind of music off. And he is such a performer, dynamic or lyrical theme.

The skater who captivated me the most was Kevin hands down - this program is another proof for me that Zimmermann, Fontana, Kerr & Co. have such an unique hand for modern music with lyrics, their programs really translate the vibe, meaning, mood of the piece into movement and usually suits skater(s) to the T. With Kevin's SP there is no exception - a program tailored to the skater, his expression perfectly and a program which showed Kevin for me in entirely new light as much more 'complete', richer skater than previously. FANTASTIC musicality throughout ALL choreography, nothing for me was an afterthought, every move, gesture had meaning and purpose; expressiveness in his whole body, well-coordinated lower/upper body movement with great sustain level to the music. Kevin really showed an urban /moderne dance elements/styles on ice with these turns, controlled arm/hand moved, insane aerial - I really applaud this choreography for not only match music so well, but mostly for showing off Kevin's variety and skill as performer, that he has so much uniqueness, specialty to offer, wonderful musicality and feel of an edgy piece. Abd boy, he rotates fast, there are problems with rotation speed control, but once he gets these jumps together, he will hopefully rise. There's just so distinct flavour about Kevin, this je ne said quoi thing French skaters have for me, but his both programs this season have potential to get it all on some higher level, they set him apart in the best way possible.

Junwan - I will write more on his FS in appropriate thread, but my conclusion is that his SP is all about Prince Charming sedated by clocks and FS is Romeo off meds tripping into dance Club searching for Julliet :laugh:. I mean, these programs are something else and will be rather live or hate thing, but I am mostly glad that he seems to find his mojo, such solid, convincing performances in technical area - if he's feeling this stuff, who am I to judge? I am all about embracing a quirk and weirdness :laugh:. I actually think that both his programs are a 'quirky' twist of these two themes involving stories known by majority of people, with a bit of 'tongue-in-cheek' value, I just cannot take them too seriously, at least this FS. I find this Cinderella SP actually quite Charming itself lol - Junhwan is just too cute for his own good and he is feeling these clocks all right, giving his all in step sequence. I really like his flow, carriage, continuity, this cleaness around his skating he showed, it just added to complete picture. I think he looks more grown-up already (he seems to control his skating more), but there is still a cutie in him I hope will never disappear, it makes him unique:).

Now for Jason - I kinda slacked with following him and his new chapter at TCC, so I did not even know that he cut his signature hair:), but I did believe that this chance may help him develop, but not to change him altogether in the process. And for me, I think I was right - Jason may lose his 'signature' hair, but I think that now he works on his skating - and this alone with all its aspects - to be his signature and a factor he will be known off. For me, this SP is a form of 'Question of U' past program redition, but a bit different in reception - whereas Prince's classic interpretation was more on exuberant, open, showy side, this new SP has more 'coolness' vibe to it; there is more sensual feeling that is hidden and is released with time instead of being thrown with full force at once. For me, this SP shows a bit of 'old Jason' with things he already gathered at new place and with his new experience: more emotional control, more steady build of the tension in such music, but I am glad that some things did not change, moreover they are shining brighter than ever: his spins (I missed them so much, he is the epitome of this music box ballerina with even, fast and centered spins that are feast for eyes), his edge work (which became more refined and crisp for me, especially in such piece that allows to show off the music through movement), his flexibility, extensions. This is still Jason and I am so happy there was a place and space to embrace his uniqueness inside new environment. And he still enjoys giving out what he expressess on ice, once a born performer, it never fades.

And Yuzuru... I have to say that for the first time with Yuzuru's program I have 'vintage meets now' vibe: the music is a bit 'then', the movement and emotion in it is 'now'. Yuzuru brings both sides together and creates something unique and true to himself I feel, I have this notion of recreating an old picture found, an old recording with curiosity of how now it would feel like. Technically, there are some 'growing pains' and adjustments to be probably made (as mainly for spins), but similarly to his FS I also already watched the great thing for me is that even with mistakes I can clearly see the purpose, intention, vision of how this whole performance experience will look like: the growing crescendo of music and movement together, how movement joins the music from his fingertips through his hands, arms, overcoming whole body (this effect with starting delicate motion in his hand and getting it through his whole body culminating with jump is something new I feel and match music perfectly with subtle/powerful contrast way or maybe I am imagining things lol). I like that this program already feels very 'his', through movement, musicality in head/arms, in quietness of stillness and powerfulness of motion, in this costume, in the spring he has in his step. I think it is quite understated program and material to work on as a whole concept, but Yuzuru himself, making this throwback choice intentionally, giving it that specific colour with a bit of nostalgy, a bit of fire, reinvents the music and makes a separate chapter for it, like a new photo added to an old album.