2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Short Program

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
I'm actually pleased by the judging at ACI. Restrained, fair (for the most part), and correct placements. There are of course some PCS marks I don't agree with, but overall the scores have been pretty reasonable. Same for the ladies.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Junhwan being only a tenth of a point behind Yuzu in PCS feels a bit ... really? to me, though I was thrilled to see Junhwan and he had a solid skate. [emoji23]

The TES, you mean.

Yuzuru did left a few points on the table with the invalidated spin as well as with putting all his jumps in the first half. His BV did turn out to be lower than Junhwan's so I personally thought it made sense.

That +1 for 3A from one Judge did surprise me as well.

--------------

Scores aside, overall a good competition for me to watch since I was particularly rooting for TCC skaters and the ones from SE Asia. Julian did so well and all TCC skaters are 1-2-3 for the SP :luv17:
Oh and I really liked the energy from Kevin Aymoz, another new name for me to remember!

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
The TES, you mean.
Yeah, my bad. Yuzu debut + taking care of someone sick + autoimmune does not make for great brainwork. [emoji23]

Yuzuru did left a few points on the table with the invalidated spin as well as with putting all his jumps in the first half. His BV did turn out to be lower than Junhwan's so I personally thought it made sense.
Yeah, I can’t really argue with how the TES shook out, given what Yuzuru actually did on the ice. Losing a spin was the difference between a fraction of a point difference in TES and an actual lead. At the same time, Cha’s components seem just a touch low? And the range in the scores is wider than I’d like, in terms of what the numbers mean — we have some judges rating his SS at the upper end of average and others well above average. SS and TR should have the least variance in scoring, in my opinion, since what’s being measured is closer to something that can be actually quantified and at the very least isn’t an amorphous concept, but there’s a 2.75 range in SS. Seriously, don’t drink and judge, and don’t partake of Canada’s cannabis culture before judging either, unless you need to treat cataracts.

That +1 for 3A from one Judge did surprise me as well.
Judge 1 is not a Hanyu fan. A bit inconsistent as well, as they weren’t regularly scoring lower than the average in GOEs or PCS. I don’t even know what that +1 is about.

Oh and I really liked the energy from Kevin Aymoz, another new name for me to remember!
His short is definitely in my top 5 for the season! And his costume reminded me of Paul Fentz. Loved his step sequence. I actually didn’t have many complaints with the men, aside from the repeat music. Yamato Rowe was another stand-out for me — technical issues are what they are, but I thought he killed the performance, and what lovely extension. Great speed as well. I quite enjoyed watching him and hope to see him again.

Man, the reality of the new quad is really kicking in, isn’t it? Some faces gone (the Olympic year is always the worst for goodbyes/final competitive skates), some new faces arriving, and no knowing which of the new names and faces we’ll see regularly.

oly2018

Final Flight
Have been catching up on the skates now that work is over. I love to watch Jason skate, but this program just didn't connect for me. It is the kind of song I would expect Vanessa and Morgan to skate to, not Jason. Idk, I am curious about the long though.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I would like to brain bleach Ted saying that word out of my brain. He’s too pure for that!

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Julian had a spectacular skate!:luv17: (I watched him during lunch but my post wouldn't go through then b/c GS had too much traffic lol).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just watched Jason's SP again and UGH IT'S SO GOOD

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OH common guys you're making me look bad! ON TOPIC.

I appreciate the post though, TontoK. EDITED: Haven and Brandon got on your list! YAY.

Kinda curious what you think of Jason's program (OKAY THERE I DONE IT.)

Or Zhenya's if you want to stay on topic.

My pre-season thoughts were that this music was an artistic risk, and it could lead to an awesome program, or it could be a trainwreck. 50/50

Well, it's not a trainwreck, but I'm not ready to pronounce it awesome just yet.

My biggest takeaway from that performance is that his basic stroking looks so much more powerful. More "mileage" per stroke. I liked the footwork. It wasn't choppy little steps; it had grander, stronger movement and much more import. I haven't looked at the protocols - did it reach level?

Normal gripes on technical - I didn't hate the costume, but not sure it was helped by the blue glitter. I hate discussing hair/makeup/etc, but, on a personal level, I like the new cut.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My pre-season thoughts were that this music was an artistic risk, and it could lead to an awesome program, or it could be a trainwreck. 50/50

Well, it's not a trainwreck, but I'm not ready to pronounce it awesome just yet.

My biggest takeaway from that performance is that his basic stroking looks so much more powerful. More "mileage" per stroke. I liked the footwork. It wasn't choppy little steps; it had grander, stronger movement and much more import. I haven't looked at the protocols - did it reach level?

Normal gripes on technical - I didn't hate the costume, but not sure it was helped by the blue glitter. I hate discussing hair/makeup/etc, but, on a personal level, I like the new cut.

Ha, you're hard to please. You should read some of the comments on Twitter. You'd think skating fans turned into a bunch of cats in heat. :laugh:

I appreciate the commentary. He "only" got a level 3, but he got really good +GOE on the StSq.

(I went ahead and moved the posts here since I didn't want to hijack the ladies thread any further)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason's hair for the win!

Unlike TontoK I am that shallow.

That's cool. I accept all types. Honestly, as much as a fan of Jason's skating I am, I never had strong feelings one way or another about the hair until now -- in other words, I think it's a upgrade. :agree:

UGH, I need to go running. I told myself I'd reward myself with watching the SPs I missed here.

gizmo

On the Ice
Really happy to seeJason, he is such a beautiful skater. Junhwan grew a lot since Olympics, and his solid 4S, he is really improving. Yuzu, as beautiful as ever, that programme will just get better, the step sequence is mesmerizsing! That 3A with the height, entry and exit.....GOE +1? I just wonder what that judge expect to see for a +5 GOE! Judge 2 on his TES, c’mon!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ha, you're hard to please. You should read some of the comments on Twitter. You'd think skating fans turned into a bunch of cats in heat. :laugh:

I appreciate the commentary. He "only" got a level 3, but he got really good +GOE on the StSq.

(I went ahead and moved the posts here since I didn't want to hijack the ladies thread any further)

I should be ashamed for thread-jacking, and contributing to the delinquency of a moderator.

Anyway, I wanted to follow up. I'm always at the mercy of the caller regarding levels, but to my eye, he just looked stronger and more mature. Whatever held that back from a L4 will be rectified, I'm certain.

Overall, I think I'm seeing a transition to a nice-looking young man, rather than an overgrown kid. Not just the hair (although that certainly contributes to a more mature look, IMO) but the WAY he skated. I'm definitely NOT of the cats in heat sort of guy, but I did like the program. I'm interested in seeing it develop.