2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Short Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Men's Short Program

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, it was important! (at least for me it was) There's a reason I will happily pay whatever fee necessary to be able to access the competition threads. FS is a small, but wonderfully close sport. Us fans are a true community IMO. I love sharing reactions/thoughts/feelings to the event with everyone! :)

Me too. Plus there is usually a detailed recap of each skate and that is of course missing.

viennaskater

Medalist
Yes, it was important! (at least for me it was) There's a reason I will happily pay whatever fee necessary to be able to access the competition threads. FS is a small, but wonderfully close sport. Us fans are a true community IMO. I love sharing reactions/thoughts/feelings to the event with everyone! :)

Yeah OK but I like to watch the performances and comment later. It takes something away, to go online while such artistry is going on.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
What was funny to me, was Debbi, the commentator, saying she liked the simpler costumes, just as Yuzu took to the ice with his blinding, blue frill-monster costume. -which I love. :laugh:

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Yeah OK but I like to watch the performances and comment later. It takes something away, to go online while such artistry is going on.

I agree with you there. I typically only comment before/after the program, that way I don't miss anything!

composer

On the Ice
Yuzu - easy as pie ... I don’t know how he manages to skate as if he is part of the music, just dancing along not doing anything particularly difficult ... oh wait he is! But the tech impressive as it was just somehow melds so beautifully into the music that it is a cohesive whole. Lovely.

I’m glad that I’m not the only one who thought Julian would have scored higher with that skate. Good job on adding the 4S to his repertoire!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Viewers on the live-stream peaked at about 35000.

Probably about the same number watched from China too.

Last edited:

Caustica

Final Flight
Only caught Jun Hwan and Yuzuru, but wow, what great skates to catch! Pretty nice first pancakes for Brian. Love both of their skating, especially Yuzuru's, wow, am I glad he's back and not chosen to retire :luv17: The program is so understated but simply beautiful to watch, especially the step sequence at the end. And I'm even thankfully a fan of the costume. Kind of hilarious how wonky the spins were, but I'm just so happy he is back.

Jun Hwan was fantastic as well, I was not expecting that 3Lz3Lo but everything was so easy. Still get the sense that he could be performing his program a bit more, but how can I complain when it's right at the beginning of the season?

I must say, I feel so at peace after these two skates.

Caustica

Final Flight
Viewers on the live-stream peaked at about 3500.

I'm pretty sure the actual number of people tuning in must be way higher than that. I think there was a livestream on Youtube at the same time, so maybe there were more people watching that.

Because come on - there's no way more people tuned in to watch JGP than the first appearance of Yuzuru Hanyu of the season ;)

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Viewers on the live-stream peaked at about 3500.

Hmmm mine showed 22,000 at the peak... but I think there were some glitches since at the point right before Yuzuru skated, it dropped to 16 for a moment :laugh: and we know for a fact that there are more than 16 of us watching.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure the actual number of people tuning in must be way higher than that. I think there was a livestream on Youtube at the same time, so maybe there were more people watching that.

Because come on - there's no way more people tuned in to watch JGP than the first appearance of Yuzuru Hanyu of the season ;)

I looked at my post...I left out a zero! 35000! hehehe. That's the right number!

LadyB

Record Breaker
Oh man, the server did my head in...

Team Orser still rules supreme! Beautiful evening it was.
Jason - never a big fan, but tonight I really liked what he did. He”s come away from these OTT movements and concentrates more on his skills. The new hairdo is Worlds better than the ponytail :agree:

Junhwan- blimey!!! How awesome was that!!!! I just want to watch this again.

Yuzu - no words! I was never blown away by his SPs, but this was mind blowing. I’m so looking forward to seeing him for the first time live in Moscow!! That was very special :jaw:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I feel the scoring was severe for all the men.
Nothing over the top for anyone.

The only guy I think is in the wrong placement, and therefore ROBBED is Julian. I truly feel aggrieved about it. :devil:

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm still kinda high on how wonderful Junhwan was, but to add:

-Yuzuru was, well, Yuzuru. His spins were very off today, but still, awesome step sequence with that delicate flow that makes everything look easy and beautiful. And his 3A is frankly the best one out there. Also, thank goodness there weren't any feathers :laugh:, I love the costume.

-Jason Brown's skating is hypnotic in a way, it's just so easy to watch him skate. He is a natural performer, while I'm not sure about my feelings about the program itself his performance was confident and smooth as expected.

- I fell asleep after Jason Brown and just woke up when Junhwan was getting ready to begin (it was 4 am here), so I missed Julian Yee. Will catch up on him later, after my Junhwan-high wears off.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzuru: What a beautiful costume. Really, it's gorgeous! I have my problems with the program, I won't get into it here though. I'm looking forward to the free more, I liked that better when he practised it.

I'm in the minority, I suppose. I found it to be technically underwhelming. I'll write that off as being an early competition.

I didn't emotionally connect, but I rarely do with him.

I hated the costume, but I always hate fussy, prissy, ornate costuming, so take that with a grain of salt.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Oh.. the site returned... for the whole competition the site said "Server too busy. Check back later". What was that all about? Was it all Yuzu'ed out??? what's gonna happen when GP starts???? (oh and I paid 6€ for the access to this section!!!) :unsure:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I feel the scoring was severe for all the men.
Nothing over the top for anyone.

The only guy I think is in the wrong placement, and therefore ROBBED is Julian. I truely, feel aggrieved about it. :devil:

Yuzu had a spin invalidated and was only Level 3 on the other two. Realistically, if he hadn’t missed the second spin, he’d have broken 100. GOEs were all within 2 points with the exception of his 4T-3T combo and his 3A, which is mostly due to J1 being a nutcase. +1 on the 3A? Seriously? Components were about what I’d expect after seeing the women. Junhwan being only a tenth of a point behind Yuzu in PCS feels a bit ... really? to me, though I was thrilled to see Junhwan and he had a solid skate. Jason was saved by his PCS thanks to his TES being obliterated by the UR call, and while 6 of the 10 points separating him and Cha are in BV alone, I don’t think he was actually 10 points behind Cha. Skating order is a real problem. (Never had a strong opinion of Jason, but I was extremely impressed with his showing here.)

Not sure what to make of the judging. The order seems largely correct? But I agree that Julian was scored too harshly, even though the edge call is the major problem in terms of points. Personally, I never want to hear TBAH again but he sold me on the programme; my boyfriend even texted me while watching to say he was impressed. Israeli Nephew Mark G. seems to have taken the “don’t drink and judge” bullet for Yee, though.

As for Yuzu: twizzle sandwich into even bigger 3A. Steps into the 4S are sublime. A bit of a “loose” performance — not messy in terms of visible errors (for more casual viewers), no outright bad landings, but the spins were a bit of an issue. And the combo was outside the backhalf? Message received. The only word I really have is “sublime” — the programme is fantastic, well worth the wait, and his costume is fabulous and a great homage. Think my favourite moment is the long spread eagle before the 3A, with that piercing stare. It sets a tone. Definitely not just a Chopin 3.0 xcopy.

I think my second-favourite short may very well be the first one skated. The technical issues were a shame, but what a programme.

Also, the guys had a surprisingly high success rate with their Axels but not the everything else today. Is this the curse of Patrick Chan? [emoji23]

sworddance21

On the Ice

I agree - I can sometimes follow what is happening here when I am at work and not able to watch video.