2018 Finlandia Trophy Ladies Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Finlandia Trophy Ladies Short Program

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Viveca Lindfors (FIN)

Good speed. A bit stuck on the 3Lz+3T but completed. Flip-out on the 3F. Good positions on the camel spin. Smooth, lovely turns through the footwork. Clean 2A, a little late with the skiddy landing (looks < on repaly). Again great positions through the combo spin, a little wobbly on the centering. Great Biellmann position on the layback.

Lovely program for Viveca. Beautiful edges throughout the program that remind me a bit of Kiira Korpi. A few problems with the first few jumps but at least no under-rotations.

Score: 57.69

champagnerain

Final Flight
Elizabet did the same exact layout at Nepala.

She had higher TES at Nepala, but higher PCS (32+ vs. 30+) here.

I wonder if that means they called an UR on the 3Lz here. It looked UR to me on replay, but to be fair, I'm multitasking, so my concentration is pretty split between multiple things.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I wonder if that means they called an UR on the 3Lz here. It looked UR to me on replay, but to be fair, I'm multitasking, so my concentration is pretty split between multiple things.

Yep, I think it was UR as well.

Danny T

Medalist
Oh no, Rika ... :(

Her posture still not the best, but the program is not bad, very Akiko-like (did Akiko choreo this?). No combo, last pass should be completely invalid? Or +COMBO I forgot ladies' SP requirements? :scratch2:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Rika Hongo (JPN)

Well, if those alarm bells don't wake you up... 3T to start, wanted a combo but was a bit off-balance. A little slow on the flying camel spin. Fine on the 2A. A bit slow on the layback spin as well, leg position could be better on the layback. Only a 2F (invalid). Better sit spin. Love the energy through the footwork, just a different electricity and tone altogether.

Shame on the jumps, lack of a combo and a doubling of the Flip. The spins were a bit slow this time around, but I like the concept of the program which suits her style and is at least unique from usual formal ladies figure skating at the moment.

Score: 46.54

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Hmm, Rika's skate was really rough I thought. Felt totally disconnected from the program and distracted. Like lying down for a nap in the midst of a five-alarm fire. I wonder if she's in she's still in pain from chronic injury?
The choreo of the StSq was exciting, but I found the performance of it robotic. Jumps were a mess. She looks really disappointed. :/

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Angela Wang (USA)

Hard fall on the opening 3F, just caught an edge on the landing it seems. Ouch, a popped 1Lo. Strong speed through the camel spin. Good curves through the footwork, smooth and expressive. Clean 2A with good ride-out. Great centering through the combo spin. Wonderful speed through the layback spin as well.

She has really good skating skills, but those jumps sometimes lets her down. She usually has a 3-3 and a 3Lo with both arms aloft. I think that the music overpowers her skating a little but only because her style is usually smooth and clean instead of power-driven. But I think she's capable of matching the vocals later in the season.

Score: 48.36

I'm very late to the Ladies' SP, but I wanted to say how much I enjoy and appreciate your summaries, draqq. Very well done. :thank:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I like Lizbet this season. It is very Eteri program to the extent of my asking myself if this is Medvedeva on ice. And I don't find music cuts atrocious. It is the moody first move and the energetic last one. The idea same as with Alina's DQ. It would be perfect if backloading was still rewarded.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Oh no, Rika ... :(

Her posture still not the best, but the program is not bad, very Akiko-like (did Akiko choreo this?). No combo, last pass should be completely invalid? Or +COMBO I forgot ladies' SP requirements? :scratch2:

Possibly. Now that I think about it, the 3T might be counted as the single jump and the 2F might be considered +COMBO. I think that's how it works out to give the skater the most benefit of the doubt.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Anita Ostlund (SWE)

Clean 2A to open, a bit high on the toe pick on the landing. Solid 3Lo as well. Centered sit spin, last position might not count. Alright 3S+2T, landing of the 3S was a little crossed. Fast layback spin, positions are okay. Nice curves through the footwork, could have more speed but somewhat expressive. Fair combo spin to end the program.

A fairly good skate for Anita this time.

Score: 52.91

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I may be in the minority here, but I'm always up for a good Lara Fabian program! I thought it suited Östlund really well. She still has some room for growth in terms of expression, but she's really elegant and nice to watch. I imagine she was aiming for a 3T at the end of that combo, no?