2018 Finlandia Trophy Ladies Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018 Finlandia Trophy Ladies Short Program

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Michaela Lucie Hanzulikova (CZE)

Harsh fall on the opening 3T (looks < on replay). Nice arch in the back in the layback spin, a little loss of speed on the Biellmann. A little cautious through the turns and edges of the footwork. Clean 2A. Fine flying camel spin, first part was a little off on the centering. Double-footed and a fall on the 3S (looks < to me, maybe even <<). Interesting variation of the A-frame in the last spin (almost like an upside-down V spin instead).

Score: 36.72

Danny T

Medalist
Hugee combo wow. Sad about the pop, and the 2A looks a bit under :(

I'm really starting to question this ice hmm

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Emmi Peltonen (FIN)

Good height through the 3T+3T, a little lean on the second 3T landing but completed. Ouch, a 2Lo<< pop (invalid). Nice pop-over in the flying sit spin. Lovely layback spin, not that difficult and the illusion entry might not count though. Beautiful 2A right into the footwork, which had plenty of speed, good edges, and lots of breath through each movement. Clear lvl4 combo spin to finish.

I think Emmi is able to grasp the music very well. Apart from the pop on the Loop, she's got great GOE potential on the jumps and spins. She could have more presence but she has strong dance training and knows what to do with her arms throughout the performance.

Score: 60.48

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Eva Lotta Kiibus (EST)

Flip-out fall on the attempted 3F (could be <). Eeked out the 3Lo+2T but clean. Nice haircutter position in the layback. Spread eagle into the 2A, clean but a little slow. Lots of trouble on the centering of the flying spin (might be considered invalid, or at least very low level). A few too many stops in the footwork sequence, just a little awkward in the shapes. Backward entry and nice platter spin through the final spin.

Well, that was a very interesting music choice. It has an unusual, almost wicked tone color. The program feels awkward in places, and a few problems with the jumps and spins today especially the flying spin.

Score: 45.65

andromache

Record Breaker
Pooja is fabulous. The choreography is not. But she's performing it much better than she was earlier in the season.

Danny T

Medalist
Wow Pooja you go girl, clean! Gorgeous landing positions.

Could use more speed and flow, but impressive still.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love that nice long edge she held after her 2A!

She's pretty versatile. She can do a 3S-3T, 3T-3T and a 3F-3T. That will serve her well.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I’ve only seen Pooja a couple of times before, that was terrific! Really like her powerful style of skating.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Pooja Kalyan (USA)

A little slow going into the 3T+3T but clean! Clean 3F as well. Nice centering on the flying sit spin. Also a clean 2A. Nice arch in the back on the Biellmann in the layback. Footwork could be more exotic and powerful to match but alright speed and good split jump. Back entry and a nice back scratch spin to end the program.

Well, that was a nice surprise. My first time seeing Pooja on the ice and it's good first impression. She's a bit careful with the jumps but they were all clean this time around. Maybe the second 3T in the combo is < but I would give it to her. I think she could work on getting better shapes and stretch through her topline and matching the power a bit more through the footwork, but she's got power for the jumps. This is a great start for her!

Score: 58.42