2018 Four Continents Pairs FS | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Pairs FS

Bcash

Final Flight
Dylan has said this is their last season. His body must be spent. Not to mention the training costs. They hope to be able to skate with SOI and other shows. Good luck to them. I wish there was something more on the professional competitive side for skaters who retire from eligible scene and still want to perform.

Very sad. They are the most enjoyable Canadian pair team. And Sandra Bezic's programs for them have been so refreshing. I guess life just doesn't always turn out the way you hope for.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Very sad. They are the most enjoyable Canadian pair team. And Sandra Bezic's programs for them have been so refreshing. I guess life just doesn't always turn out the way you hope for.

Note to all skaters at the OGs: Avoid glass doors!

lavender

Record Breaker
Nice podium. Too bad about the Aus but that wasn't a great program (in the middle when she was standing there wiggling)by choreography standards....not for me anyway.
A lot of potential though. Man was she pissed.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm sorry if I'm dwelling on this, I'm just so angry about it. I keep coming back to this remark from NanaPat:

As a big fan of Lubov/Dylan, I can't believe they're ahead of the Australians. Dylan looked like the skating dead.

I'm so sorry if I jinxed them.

What the judges are trying to tell us with that result is that "the skating dead", who were an absolute disaster the entire event, were supposedly better overall than Katia and Harley. And that's just so rubbish, it's ridiculous. This happened because Katia and Harley are from a little skating country. This is classic little country scoring.

And yes, I know they have time - time Lubov/Dylan very sadly don't - and I know it's better that they had this skate here than in two weeks' time but:

Just because they have time/they're still new Seniors/they got the bad skate out of the way before the Olympics doesn't make this result any less unfair.

(And yes, I feel very bad for Lubov/Dylan because I've always thought they were fine pair and good skaters and it's dreadful that he got such an injury right before Nationals. But not this weekend, they were not good skaters this weekend.)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm sorry if I'm dwelling on this, I'm just so angry about it.

What the judges are trying to tell us with that result is that "the skating dead", who were an absolute disaster the entire event, were supposedly better overall than Katia and Harley. And that's just so rubbish, it's ridiculous. This happened because Katia and Harley are from a little skating country. This is classic little country scoring.

I think it's more "established skaters" vs "newcomers" than big country vs little country. The judges didn't do any favours for the other Canadian pairs here. Not that I expected it, but it does contradict your "big country" theory.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I am not sure I would send IM to worlds if Duhamel and Radford medal at olympics and retire. It isn't just the concussion Lubovhas had extreme issues with jumps. They just gave up and then they fell behind pc wise the Americans. Once a top 5 world team possibly is barely top 5 weakened field at 4C's. So sad to see them skate so lifeless. Not a good way to end. They should have been able to win. Just a shame. They probably should have pulled an Ashley. I believe Dylan is ready to move on he said anyways. I wish better for them but not everyone can have a fairytale ending. Sui and Han versus Savchenko and her chosen one partner- one will be victorious and the other left devastastated. No fairytale ending for Stolbova and Klimov - just heartache. Good job by the Amerians in a devastated field missing the top 6 teams (maybe even 7)

But who would be sent to worlds as the third team instead? Dylan/Lubov are still stronger than Camille/Drew.

gold12345

Medalist
He had lots of cuts as well including a 7 or 9 stitch one on his lift holding hand. Was only allowed to spin & jump starting jan 1....nationals were the next week. Now Lubov's chin is cut and misshapen...don't know what happened to her but it is new.

Thanks for the info. That helps explain the uncharacteristic lift problems. Sad timing.

I think I/M deserved their slight PCS edge, they have more maturity in their skating. Both teams had a disastrous moment in the LP, a 0 point lift, as well as other issues. Katia & Harley's 0 pt lift was more costly because it was a higher base value lift than the one I/M missed. Both teams also did some things well, and they ended up separated by only a point, so it was very close.

I will say the GOE throughout this event were a little odd at times. In the case of I/M, they had huge ranges in GOE on the two lifts they did execute.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
A real absence of all the top teams but still an enjoyable competition. I would have given Cain/Le Duc victory over K/O’S, I thought they were undermarked on PCS. Nice to see the North Koreans win a medal,they are a well liked couple and seem to get a lot of public support. A disappointing skate for I/M but they have really been unlucky with his injury this season. At last years worlds they had set themselves up nicely for the Olympics but sadly this season has not worked out. I’m disappointed for her that she won’t get to go to an Olympics. The Aussies had a rough skate, I hope they qualify for the free in PyeongChang, it still amazes that there was no suitable male partner in all of Russia for her.