2018 Golden Spin of Zagreb Men's Free Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Golden Spin of Zagreb Men's Free Skate

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have to agree with this being a lousy competition. Sure, Jason stayed on his feet, but that's a huge score for a lot of doubles.

FWIW Jason actually did a little more TES wise here than IdF

IdF: 2A; 3A-2T; 3S; 3Lo/3A<-2T-2L; 3F-2T*; 2Z
Here : 2A;3A-2T; 3S;2Lo/ 3A-2T-2L; 3F-3T; 3Z

He got about the same PCS (89), but his TES score was 8 points higher. He scored 159 at TdF, so 167 isn't that much of a stretch.

I expect we'll see 180-190 scores with clean programs with quads at GPF later on today.

Last edited:

skateflake

On the Ice
NoNameFace, you perfectly describe what I saw y felt!!!
Effortless, with a joy of skating! I LOVE Jason Brown.

Nice to have Golden Skate friends to celebrate this win!

skateflake

On the Ice
Mrs. P, love the numbers!!

Have fun at GPF! I have used up all my spare time on Jason, so I'll miss it.

skateflake

On the Ice
Jeanie19, this was an enjoyable Challenger Series. Lots of new skaters to keep an eye on! I think your cherry cobbler must have brought good luck!

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
This will never be my favorite program for Jason but his skating is such a joy to watch. He feels and interprets and it never feels like he skates only from element to element. I am so happy for him. This should be a huge confidence boost heading into Nationals.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Jason yes, only wasn't perfect, other two were THAT bad.

I am very curious how Nationals will come out and how hillarious it will be if Sergei wins the title:laugh:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am very curious how Nationals will come out and how hillarious it will be if Sergei win the title:laugh:

Yeah, Sasha had a chance to make a statement here and beat Misha, but didn't seize the opportunity. Sasha was on an upward trajectory too. It will be interesting to see how Sergei does in the FS at GPF.

gottadance

On the Ice
sorry to bother everybody , but havent been able to find video of Jason FS? Can anybody tell me where I could see it ! Big JB fan here !

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I am really excited for Jason. I know people give the side eye to his current tech content but I'm sure that he is continuing to work on the quad- it just seems they've decided to build some consistency and confidence. As he regains confidence, the quad attempts are much more likely to be successful. I think the biggest technical change is that I no longer get nervous watching his triple axel which is huge for him. Changing coaches was clearly a good decision.

I feel really badly for Kolyada- he is clearly having a crisis of confidence, he can do these jumps. I hope he can find that strength in himself before nationals.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This bodes well for Jason for Nationals and future internationals. He did leave a lot of points on the board and without a quad so that means he could score maybe like 185 to 190?

He basically guaranteed him a spot on the world team. Too bad Brian's magic isn't working for Evgenia. Mikhail must be a bit devastated. World bronze medallist and struggling this year. If he skated his fs clean it would be at Jason's.

I am not sure how someone could say this is the best Golden Spin - or are they all really messy?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Actually Jason's SP and FS here are currently in the top ten of best scores - okay, the latter should drop off unless there's a major splatfest at the GPF today, but it does show, in a post-Oly season where the frontrunners are either injured (Yuzu :cry:) or struggling/erratic/just less than inspired (Shoma, Kolyada and Chen) his hard work is definitely paying off and the outlook is a lot better than people were predicting just a few weeks ago.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeanie19, this was an enjoyable Challenger Series. Lots of new skaters to keep an eye on! I think your cherry cobbler must have brought good luck!

I love the challenger series because I like seeing some of the less known skaters. And I think it is good for them to compete with Jason, Alexander and Mikhail.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Where is the medal ceremony?!

Didn't see it streamed, but here's a link :)

Congrats, Jason!! So glad the coaching change is starting to pay off for him. I look forward to seeing him at Worlds.

Misha, my angel, please take care of yourself, because you look exhausted and sick and I'm starting to get really worried. Take the rest of the season off if that's what your body (and mind) needs. Thank you for the short program. :ghug:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I am very curious how Nationals will come out and how hillarious it will be if Sergei wins the title:laugh:

Yeah, Sasha had a chance to make a statement here and beat Misha, but didn't seize the opportunity. Sasha was on an upward trajectory too. It will be interesting to see how Sergei does in the FS at GPF.

I for one keep my fingers crossed so hard for Sergei that it hurts. He'd deserve it the most and I hope his FS at GPF goes very well. :party:eek:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Jason Brown has everything a male skater could want--except quads. And what he does have is first rate. He delivered; the others did not. That's sports. It doesn't reward Good Intentions. If it did, I would be an Olympic Gold medalist!

I'd love to have seen BO's face when he saw/heard the news.

skateflake

On the Ice
Jeanie19, agree about the Challenger Series. Just wish I could see more of them and watch more disciplines. First saw Kolyada in a Challenger with Jason, wonder if they both thought about that today?!

I mean did they remember being on the podium together!