2018 JGP Kaunas Mens Free Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 JGP Kaunas Mens Free Skate

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Okay, we've got a North American in first, and a European right after him. C'mon, Yuto, get in between them and let's keep this trend going!

zebobes

Final Flight
not sure why torgashev is fist pumping.... he fell twice and had rough landings... he oversold his step sequence.. bobbled on a spin...

He's fist bumping because he would usually have fallen apart after the bad beginning, and he came back strong.

Edited to add

Oh, and he didn't fall on his 4T, he stepped out with a hand down.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
He's fist bumping because he would usually have fallen apart after the bad beginning, and he came back strong.

Edited to add

Oh, and he didn't fall on his 4T, he stepped out with a hand down.

well that was a major tumble not to count as fall .. but i am no expert... and i don't follow him... so if you say that usually he would have fallen apart, then fair enough...

to me that wasn't such a great skate to be so ecstatic about... but again, if it were for him, fair enough

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Even with the mistakes, I liked the fire in his eyes. He somewhat reminds me of Uno Shoma (Yuto is much taller than him, but still).

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
1 Andrew Torgashev 201.63
2. Kiriil Jakolev 199,01
3. Yuto Kishina 191,80

:clap: but far too many falls, step outs and pops in this competition.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Murashov missed the podium by, what, one point? That must feel lousy.

So once again we have a North American, a Japanese, and a European on the podium, albeit in a slightly different order this time.

Iakovlev should feel really delighted with that silver medal. Normally somebody with no 3A (let alone quads) would be on the outside looking in in a men's competition, even at this level.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Even with the mistakes, I liked the fire in his eyes. He somewhat reminds me of Uno Shoma (Yuto is much taller than him, but still).

Ha ha who isn't taller than Shoma? ;)

But I'm very happy Kirill got a silver! I really like his skating! Good for you, young man!

zebobes

Final Flight
If I'm not mistaken, this is Andrew's first gold on the JGP ever.

For those who don't follow him, he seemed a shoo-in to the JGP final two years ago, but he fell apart in his second competition, and was the 2nd sub for the final. Last year, he had a good chance to win his second event, got 4th instead, but still managed to scrape into the final, and didn't skate that well.

This year, he started with a 4th at his first event, but instead of falling apart his second event, he managed to pull it together, and get a first, giving himself a pretty good chance to make the final. We'll see how he does there. I hope his hand gets better!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Murashov missed the podium by, what, one point? That must feel lousy.

So once again we have a North American, a Japanese, and a European on the podium, albeit in a slightly different order this time.

Iakovlev should feel really delighted with that silver medal. Normally somebody with no 3A (let alone quads) would be on the outside looking in in a men's competition, even at this level.

Yes, better skate clean with easier tricks. Anyway, these medalists wouldn't have been in the top in the two recent competitions.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Ah well, I’m no expert but I don’t know about the scoring for Andrew.... Anyway, happy for Kirill, sad for Jo. Also happy for Egor’s nice FS.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I don't know, Younghyun was first in the qualifier but was 8th in Linz, Geonhyung was fourth in the qualifier (or was it third?) but he's in 5th here... I'm biased since I adore Younghyun, but I can't really say I'm satisfied with that.

frida80

Record Breaker
That awkward moment when you realize the ladies champ outscored the men's champ by 20 points.

Haleth

On the Ice
Nervous this summer, yes.. but not as badly as falling and popping everything.... something is not right...

i can only think of one thing : when things are going so well... why change? TCC is not for everyone... Yvan was really good with Joseph... I guess Joseph had all his attention... Here, he is with Ghislain, a jump coach..... maybe Jo is someone who needs his main coach with him to calm him down...

anyways... i have been quite suspicious of the change of coaching for Phan... I love what TCC has done with my other son Conrad ;) but with Jo... i agree.. he was also nervous during the summer but look at this total score of 166 here... Jo has racked up over 150 in one of his domestic free skates last year where he had a close to perfect skate... he is a 200 + skater...

I hope this is just a wake up call that he needs a quick fix in his new routine... or perhaps he is not 100% this week... anyways... I want my Jo back .

Honestly, I would never want to assess whether a change has done a skater good or bad just based on such a meagre competition sample, especially when the overall results of a change are best assessed a season or two afterwards. Adjusting to how elements are differently taught takes serious time and Joseph has been at TCC for not very long, certainly not the full off-season? I would not declare Conrad's coaching change a resounding success atm any more than I would pronounce Joseph's a resounding failure. We actually know so little of the skaters' inner and day to day lives and really have little idea unless they make direct statements about it. And we have no idea of the motivations for a change and how they are feeling about it, unless again they are direct about it.

So let's be fair to the coaches and skater and maybe allow them time to learn each other before making frantic assessments?

Mawwerg

Final Flight
I don't know, Younghyun was first in the qualifier but was 8th in Linz, Geonhyung was fourth in the qualifier (or was it third?) but he's in 5th here... I'm biased since I adore Younghyun, but I can't really say I'm satisfied with that.

This event just wasn't as strong as previous.:confused2: