2018 Lombardia Trophy Mens Free Skate | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2018 Lombardia Trophy Mens Free Skate

Latremu

Final Flight
i could hear moonlight sonata... and shoma was floating over the ice.... woke up... saw a quad and fell asleep again....

i am feeling like the skating gods are really telling me not to watch shoma until skate canada because i get to see him live there.....

i tried to watch his Sp the other day .. and there was no sound... so i gave up....

i cannot believe i haven't seen his programs yet... so i will take the skating gods advice.. . and wait one more month ;)
That will make it more exciting! Listen to the skating gods and don't watch him first. There's only Japan open before skate canada anyway. [emoji4]

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Shoma consistently gets level 3 on his step sequences. I always wonder why he seems to not hit level 4 there more consistently.

there are a few explanations about that, and not related only to Shoma.

The level in step sequences requires execution of specific features... and they have been changing... sometimes, there were requirements (a long time ago) about one-foot skating for a long period etc... I remember Patrick having to adapt his choreography to get level 4.. because his original artistic plans were not rewarded by the tech panel... i am not sure what the matter is for Shoma, but he probably plans to get a level 3 anyways.. like some people KNOW ahead of time they will never get a level 4 on a spin or on a twist. So, if Shoma gets consistently a level 3 on his steps, I would assume that's what is usually planned for him. Not everyone is going for all level 4s always...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for the loop : i am thinking that guys are reviewing the number of quads they want to include.... with 30 seconds less, and one less jumping pass... it gets a bit much to do more than 3 quads considering the set up required to fully rotate them.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
there are a few explanations about that, and not related only to Shoma.

The level in step sequences requires execution of specific features... and they have been changing... sometimes, there were requirements (a long time ago) about one-foot skating for a long period etc... I remember Patrick having to adapt his choreography to get level 4.. because his original artistic plans were not rewarded by the tech panel... i am not sure what the matter is for Shoma, but he probably plans to get a level 3 anyways.. like some people KNOW ahead of time they will never get a level 4 on a spin or on a twist. So, if Shoma gets consistently a level 3 on his steps, I would assume that's what is usually planned for him. Not everyone is going for all level 4s always...

I guess it doesn't matter for Shoma so much since he has such a high technical base, but it does seem odd to leave BV and GOE points on the table by aiming for level 3.

Latremu

Final Flight
Maybe the Lutz will make a reappearance, wouldn't that be lovely? :dev2:

The comment to ruin my night. :drama: Mako can re-teach it to him. :p

I think he aims for a Level 4. The choreography does not look fully finished. They'll keep working on it. The music in the second half is fast enough for him to be able to do a level 4. What they will have to figure out is how he can do 4 quads and the 3 other jump passes in 4 minutes, and still do the level 4 step sequence and spins.

pearly

Record Breaker
Yeah...how does that even work? You jump from one foot to the other?! :scratch3:

You jump from the outside edge of your landing foot to the inside edge of the other foot (with a rotation) and are then ready to do a Flip or a Sal.

It's like a single Loop jump, but you don't land on the same outside edge (the same edge from which you took off), but to the opposite inside edge.

I hate the way they look in 90% of the cases - see thread in The Edge.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I think he aims for a Level 4. The choreography does not look fully finished. They'll keep working on it. The music in the second half is fast enough for him to be able to do a level 4. What they will have to figure out is how he can do 4 quads and the 3 other jump passes in 4 minutes, and still do the level 4 step sequence and spins.

Last season from GP through Worlds, he got level 4 three times, in the SP (Internationale de France, GPF and Worlds). The rest was level 3. And he didn't get it in worlds at all. So he's not really consistently in getting level 4, hence my question.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

I think the messed up jumps hurt the whole program, he did look a bit lost or rather confused, and like he still wasn't entirely sure about the choreography in a 'bad' skate scenario, and because of the jumps - his timing didn't work out in the end. :unsure: If he has this program down to the t, he will handle bad skates better. You can see that with Turandot at Worlds. He knows that program in and out, his body could probably do it with eyes closed. This season he has to study 4 new choreographies! That's a lot. And Stairway to Heaven is already pretty solid, and it was announced earlier as well.

Latremu

Final Flight
Last season from GP through Worlds, he got level 4 three times, in the SP (Internationale de France, GPF and Worlds). The rest was level 3. And he didn't get it in worlds at all. So he's not really consistently in getting level 4, hence my question.

I'm not an expert, but I think that has to do with how slow the music was last year. The year before, he was getting level 4 more consistently. With last year's Turandot, he probably had difficulty fitting in all the turns and steps required for a level 4 with the super slow music. It would not have made sense musically. (Plus, let's not talk about Worlds 2018... We know the story there.) My thought is that this year, the music during the step sequence is fast enough to allow for a level 4. The only reason he hasn't gotten it likely has more to do with it being early on in the season for the FS (there are still some blank areas), while for the SP, it was because he stumbled.

Of course this is just a theory. It may or may not be proven wrong as the season goes on.

Latremu

Final Flight
:shocked::confused:

There are several theories. One is as 4everchan said, that the loop takes longer to set up, but time is now limited, so it's not ideal to use. Moreover, the base value of the 4S as compared to the 4L is just very slightly lower, not even by 1 point. Taking both into account, it's not that worthwhile doing the loop as it was before. Considering also that there's no time to do 5 quads anyway, there's just no point putting in a 4th type of quad. I'd like to see if any of the top men actually decide to put in the 4L. Shoma was the only one doing it for more than a season and a number of competitions. There must be a reason for that. Anyhow, off to do work.

Congratulations to Shoma, Dima, and Lazukin! :clap:

Caustica

Final Flight
Kind of confused about Shoma's jump layout. At an interview late last season, when asked about the proposals to shorten the Men's free skate and remove one jump, he said that he would probably remove his easiest jump - 3S. However, he has instead done one more quad and removed both 3Lz and 3Lo... I understand removing 3Lz, but why 3Lo as well? Is he having hip issues?

The program I enjoyed the most was probably Aliev's. Not sure if it was just in my head, but I felt like he didn't really need preparation for his jumps (or maybe his preparation was just so well choreographed and performed that it didn't feel like preparation). I love the way he moves.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
also... it's the tech panel who ought to decide about the step sequence level.. some may feel a skater has demonstrated mastery of a level 3 on a sequence while others allow it a 4....

Latremu

Final Flight
Kind of confused about Shoma's jump layout. At an interview late last season, when asked about the proposals to shorten the Men's free skate and remove one jump, he said that he would probably remove his easiest jump - 3S. However, he has instead done one more quad and removed both 3Lz and 3Lo... I understand removing 3Lz, but why 3Lo as well? Is he having hip issues?

The program I enjoyed the most was probably Aliev's. Not sure if it was just in my head, but I felt like he didn't really need preparation for his jumps (or maybe his preparation was just so well choreographed and performed that it didn't feel like preparation). I love the way he moves.

He has a stable 3S which he can place in combination at the end of the program, as opposed to the 3Lo which is difficult to add a second jump to. His planned jumps are as follows: 4S 4F 4T 4T2T 3A 3A-Eu-3F 3S3T. He can tack on the 3T to either the 3A or, should he have a problem with the first 3A as he did here, to the 3S at the end. That combo can add to the points (I don't remember right now which jumps are at the second half and how many are given bonus points by the new rules). Considering that there are now only 7 jumping passes, he would get more points for doing a 3S-3T combo at the second half than a solo 3Lo, so it makes more sense this way.

I also like Aliev. With an actual costume and more stamina, he can really make this program work for him.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
also... it's the tech panel who ought to decide about the step sequence level.. some may feel a skater has demonstrated mastery of a level 3 on a sequence while others allow it a 4....

Agree. In the SP Sho got a level 3 in his steps. His GOE were 3 +5's and the rest +4's. For me that is mastery and
deserved a level 4 call. JMO

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Come on ceremony I got things I got to this afternoon. They are probably trying to wake Sho up. lol