2018 Nepela Trophy Ladies Free Skate | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2018 Nepela Trophy Ladies Free Skate

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Rika's layout is not too optimal, even though she does 3A-3T, she still has two combos with just doubles on the end. (the Tuktamysheva Syndrome :biggrin:)
Why doesn't she try:
3A-2T
3A
3Lo
3Lz
---
3Lz-3T
3F-1Lo-3S
2A

I know she likes 3A-3T, but it's kind of pointless to do that if you're just going to do -2T and -2T-2Lo, and she's already got her name in history for that combination.

Your layout would only net her about a point, though, and I think it’s pointlessly risky— both big combos in the second half, and risking a +REP on the lutz if there’s an issue.

She’d be better off if she keeps training those +3Lo combos. Then she can still repeat the axel and Lutz, and have the 2A. Something like:
3A+3T
3A
3Lz+3Lo
2A
———
3Lz+2T+2Lo
3F
3S

And she could upgrade that further for a half loop combo and a second 2A. And maybe, move the +3Lo to the second half. And net more points in the short program, too.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
dont forget Shcherbakova, after all she attempted a 4Lz too and will likely attempt it soon again.

When she will land it i will add her to my list:biggrin:
Oh and i forgot Mirai's FS at olympic team event.
And empress Midori.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Rika's layout is not too optimal, even though she does 3A-3T, she still has two combos with just doubles on the end. (the Tuktamysheva Syndrome :biggrin:)
Why doesn't she try:
3A-2T
3A
3Lo
3Lz
---
3Lz-3T
3F-1Lo-3S
2A

I know she likes 3A-3T, but it's kind of pointless to do that if you're just going to do -2T and -2T-2Lo, and she's already got her name in history for that combination.

Yes, on paper that layout doesn't look optimal. Not necessary for points, but wow effect. It Would be nice if she does another 3-3 or an euler combo. That 3lz-2T is a bit......too easy.

readernick

Medalist
I believe Rika has this layout because she wants to to add 4S/ 4T the future. Rika definitely wants to challenge for the next Olympic podium so she will be upgrading her content, slowly. I don’t think you can compare Rika with Tuk. Rika repeats the two hardest jumps 3A and 3lz. It is an 8 triple long program. Tuk does not. Her 3A3T is beautiful. She could add a loop
combination to optimize points. She can do them but there is such a risk of under-rotation especially with the stricter rules this year. ( I think Alina’s loops will get called in competitions this year, they look under) Additionally, loop combos rarely get a nice running edge out which means lower GOE. This program is a great introductory program for Rika.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Your layout would only net her about a point, though, and I think it’s pointlessly risky— both big combos in the second half, and risking a +REP on the lutz if there’s an issue.

She’d be better off if she keeps training those +3Lo combos. Then she can still repeat the axel and Lutz, and have the 2A. Something like:
3A+3T
3A
3Lz+3Lo
2A
———
3Lz+2T+2Lo
3F
3S

And she could upgrade that further for a half loop combo and a second 2A. And maybe, move the +3Lo to the second half. And net more points in the short program, too.

Of course having the 3Lz-3Lo makes it easier to make layouts :)

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Holy wow, Rika Kihira!
And what an amazing SP for Tursynbaeva... best she has ever skated?
This season is shaping up to be quite something!

SXTN

Final Flight
Why doesn't she try:
3A-2T
3A
3Lo
3Lz
---
3Lz-3T
3F-1Lo-3S
2A

I was preparing a similar comment on Rika Kihira's layout when I saw that you already did all the work. :laugh:

"Tuktamysheva Syndrome" is a good term. The lifetime achievement award in the category "3A's in free programs that don't give you any benefit at all" goes to Mishin and Liza. I'm wondering if Mishin has some kind of dyscalculia?!

If Eteri's career as a couch ever ended, she will calculate jump layouts for other coaches for sure :biggrin:

ewdokia

On the Ice
Polina Tsurskaya: oh boy... she looks so undertrained, everything is a mess right now. Hard to judge, hard to watch. We'll see if they can get back on track but they don't have much time left.

Polina did fine in both practices I attended. I don't think her problem is undertraining, but lack of conficence / competition nerves.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Of course having the 3Lz-3Lo makes it easier to make layouts :)
Well, that or 3F+3Lo. And there were so many successful practice vids from the summer that I really thought she would add one.

I mean I can respect wanting to consistently get the 3A this season and focusing on that. Her layouts are still way better than Liza’s.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Tukt's layout is less difficult than Rika's layout. Aside the 3A she doesn't have another jumping pass that didficult. No 3-3 for example. And she has a 6 or 7 triples program, and doesn't do all triples like Rika (no 3F).