2018 Nepela Trophy Ladies Short Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018 Nepela Trophy Ladies Short Program

rikaquegira

On the Ice
As I imagined Rika’s UR 3Lz wasn’t called. She had a 5pts difference in BV with Elizabet.
She got some good GOE. Her PCS is still juniorish. I hope it rises as the season progresses if she skates clean(and that’s a big IF). [emoji23]

Everything will be decided in the FS. And Rika has one hell of a Free program!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Protocols seem fair to me, Rika got hammared for that 3A fall with a huge negative GOE, almost to the point that if she took it out and nailed a 2A it would have been better (points wise, guys). I applaud her for going for it and think she should keep going with it.

Isn't a fall a mandatory -5 on GOE for all judges?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I the only one who finds Rika's PCS scores to be a little bit ridiculous? Last year everyone complained about the Russians, Alina and Evgenia, being overscored on PCS. But Rika gets 70 points in her senior debut for a program that, isn't bad, but still needs time to polish! I could see this getting in the 70s once she becomes more familiar with it and refines it over time, but at this stage it shouldn't score so high.

It’s pretty polished and well delivered in my opinion...just kind of boring. I have no issues with her PCS but I never really care much about PCS scores. No one ever agrees on that stuff anyway. :laugh:

lusk8

Record Breaker

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn't a fall a mandatory -5 on GOE for all judges?

No...I think technically falls can get -2

Starting from +3 GOE and then subtracting -5GOE. Obviously this would be the greatest fall ever and I secretly want to see it.

andromache

Record Breaker
In response to the comment about Rika's PCS scores and people complaining about Alina being overscored on PCS last year....

Alina received a 71 in her senior debut SP at Lombardia last year, a program that was also fairly unpolished.

This is just the new normal. :confused2:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Starting from +3 GOE and then subtracting -5GOE. Obviously this would be the greatest fall ever and I secretly want to see it.

It can be off set somewhat, as we've seen in Lombardia and end up being a -3 or something like it. Will look for evidence and update. Since these are "guidelines" there's some wiggle room it seems.

Found it: look at Liza's protocols for the short (she had a fall on the combo), she had -4s, -3s, and even a -2.

http://www.fisg.it/upload/result/4802/CSITA2018_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

Okay thanks, i'm still not completely used to the new rules.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I just saw Rika's SP. There is one thing that comes to my mind. Well, some people were completely frenzy about backloading and how it is unfair and unbalanced and ugly and whatever. Well, this is not criticism of Rika, I'm just wondering on this. 3A and combination within the first minute of her program, last 3Lz immediately after the first half. How is this different? The only difference is this time all jumps are placed as early as possible, with nearly a half of the program without a jump. But it is probably balanced :laugh:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I just saw Rika's SP. There is one thing that comes to my mind. Well, some people were completely frenzy about backloading and how it is unfair and unbalanced and ugly and whatever. Well, this is not criticism of Rika, I'm just wondering on this. 3A and combination within the first minute of her program, last 3Lz immediately after the first half. HOw is this different? The only difference is this time all jumps are placed as early as possible, with nearly a half of the program without a jump. But it is probably balanced :laugh:

She didn't backload any of her jumps, she should though. I think they meant to, but didn't quite got the timing right. :think:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

I thought that it's instant -5 GOE too, but just now I'm looking into the protocols and see that if you're not Eteri's girl you have pretty big chance to receive smaller negative marks for the fall :devil:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
here my thoughts after watching some of the girls

Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA: what an improvement! She looks a lot better than last seasons and what a speed! Her spins are really fast; but in my (uneducated) eyes her program looks somehow unrefined, she looks like more focused on the tech side than the artistic, she basically crosses until the next element. Lets’ wait for the lp. Anyway her score is a great achievement for her.

Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA: her step sequence was on fire, unluckily i didn’t got to watch her performance with the music :(

Rika KIHIRA: very solid as expected, shame for that fall on the 3A.

Polina TSURSKAYA: i love the girl, her style and her attitude, but clearly it wasn’t her day and it’s a shame, this could have been the best sp of the day and in the end she looked tired. I do hope she does better in the lp. I want her to win. Also I wat her to change costume, this one is truly hideous in every possible way (the color, the shape and the fitting).

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
She didn't backload any of her jumps, she should though. I think they meant to, but didn't quite got the timing right. :think:

Oh, you're right, it wasn't even immediately after the first half, it had to be just before it, probably an error in timing of the jump. Well, my question stands and this error even strenghtened it. The layout of the program is designed for having all jumps as soon as possible, if jumped correctly, nearly a half of the program without a jump. I'm expecting (well, in fact I don't expect :) ) the crusade of those who doesn't like "unbalanced programs" :)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just saw Rika's SP. There is one thing that comes to my mind. Well, some people were completely frenzy about backloading and how it is unfair and unbalanced and ugly and whatever. Well, this is not criticism of Rika, I'm just wondering on this. 3A and combination within the first minute of her program, last 3Lz immediately after the first half. HOw is this different? The only difference is this time all jumps are placed as early as possible, with nearly a half of the program without a jump. But it is probably balanced :laugh:

ISU approved layout :dance3:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
The backloading never bothered me in the SP. It's pretty short. :laugh:
And in the FS, as long as the skater makes it engaging...
:confused2:
I have to say Rika's SP flew by like a breeze... :love::luv17:

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
After at last watching the performances, I can say my favourite was Lil Bet. I am very impressed by her, because she went through a lot, but skates so good now! I actually like her program and dress, I would like to see some more speed into her SS, but in time and after more practice probably it will come. Like a Phoenix bird, she is reborn and ready to fight hard this season, and I can only applaud her for her motivation. Go Lil Bet! :cheer:

After Alina's WD, I was rooting for Polina, and it broke my heart to see her score and the protocols. :sad21: Her jumps are huge, that's one of the things I love about her, but she needs to control them and she's still not there. I am a little bit worried for her, I really hope she will do well in her LP because she needs a good moral for GP. I don't mind her waltz, she skates so beautiful that for me almost it doesn't matter what songs she chooses, she is the same elegant and graceful skater, only hope we will see this program cleanly skated, too. :pray:

I was not able to see Stanislava's program with music, so I can not say too many things about her performance. She looked on fire, did her job, the jumps looked pretty good, but had some big problems on her spins. I think the score received was just.

Rika proved that she will be a strong contender this season. Her program was a little bit boring for me and she was quite far from having her 3A landed (I understand that she succesfully performed 3A during wam-up so it's there, she just needs to control her nerves). I did not expect such a high score for her after that fall, I would have put Lil Bet on the first place, but this is just my opinion and anyway they are pretty close so it's going to be an interesting LP. Rika had a more difficult program, has strong jumps and better speed.:thumbsup:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Tursunbaeva was a big surprise for me :clap: She’s been around for a while, I know, but never caught my attention that much. Here she did... I’m not sure why. Perhaps sharper jumps, lines and spins... better confidence? Some work on presentation and she’ll be in the top. Is she also taller?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
A score over 70 with a fall? I think we have a new contender for the top of the podium this season. If Rika gets it together she will be unstoppable. I don't like Clair de Lune, but her program kept my attention and the fall didn't rattle her and she performed quite well. I'm glad she got the NHK host spot. I want to see this girl in the GPF.