2018 Nepela Trophy Ladies Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018 Nepela Trophy Ladies Short Program

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
It’s not designed to make cleaner skates score higher, it’s designed to reward quality.

Rika has better jumps even though she fell on the 3A. Better speed. Better flow. Better height and landings.

She also had much better speed throughout. I’m sure the difference will be in the GOE.

Personally I find Lil Bet air position quite bad, both her legs are always bent and has a gap between her knees. So even doing a rippon won’t get her the good air position bullet.

But Elizabet has difficult entries for all her jumps (steps going into the rippon lutz, spread eagle into the 2a, spiral into the 3s-rippon 3toe) and the two arms above the head so those things are definitely going to reward more her.

I'd argue that while Rika has more flow and good running edge, she still has rotation issues.

Not to mention again the GOE on the spins.

Anyway I don't think scores are that controversial, Elizabet could have been in first place, she is not but it is still less than a point, so the free skate will decide the champion here.

I know the scoring system has changed but i don't think last year Elizabet would have ever received a score this big anyway, so she is probably happy with it.

Gubanova’s scores have deflated and now Polina seems to be further regressing. Thanks CSKA :palmf:

That's what i was trying to tell people last month in the thread about Panenkova leaving Eteri.

You have to get used to the fact that CSKA skaters train less their programs which brings weaker stamina, more inconsistency,... and you have to think that for some of these skaters consistency was their biggest strenght.

lusk8

Record Breaker
TES difference between Rika and Elizabet isn't that huge, that's impressive on Elizabet's part considering Rika has a 3A. If there's something Team Eteri knows is how to rake in those points.

I'm sad for Polina because she got really hammered and she could use a confidence booster right about now. Hope she rallies back and has a great FS so she can feel happy and confident for her GP assignments.

leoleo

Medalist
I really hope Lilbet can be consistent under Eteri! i've loved her programs many times before but she always seemed to stagnate in terms of scores at tcc because she rarely skated clean. hopefully Eteri gave her a bit of that "evil witch juice that makes skaters magically consistent" she has over there in Sambo :laugh2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m happy to see ‘Lil Bet putting in a strong performance. I’ve been pulling for her for what seems like forever ago.

lusk8

Record Breaker
I really hope Lilbet can be consistent under Eteri! i've loved her programs many times before but she always seemed to stagnate in terms of scores at tcc because she rarely skated clean. hopefully Eteri gave her a bit of that "evil witch juice that makes skaters magically consistent" she has over there in Sambo :laugh2:

Witches brew for consistent skating....one more cup coming up, with a side of get every point available on the table with your comfort level of tech in strawberry flavor.

leoleo

Medalist
I'd argue that while Rika has more flow and good running edge, she still has rotation issues.
what rotation issues? all her jumps seem rotated!
and she had a higher base value! lilbet had a 3lz, 2A, 3s-3t yet she was less than a point under rika who had a 3A (with a fall but most likely rotated), 3lz and 3F-3T

i've very curious as to what you thought the scores should have been instead. :think:

readernick

Medalist
But Elizabet has difficult entries for all her jumps (steps going into the rippon lutz, spread eagle into the 2a, spiral into the 3s-rippon 3toe) and the two arms above the head so those things are definitely going to reward more her.

Not to mention again the GOE on the spins.

Anyway I don't think scores are that controversial, Elizabet could have been in first place, she is not but it is still less than a point, so the free skate will decide the champion here.

I know the scoring system has changed but i don't think last year Elizabet would have ever received a score this big anyway, so she is probably happy with it.

That's what i was trying to tell people last month in the thread about Panenkova leaving Eteri.

You have to get used to the fact that CSKA skaters train less their programs which brings weaker stamina, more inconsistency,... and you have to think that for some of these skaters consistency was their biggest strenght.

What rotation issues? She falls. She doesn't get edge calls or underrotation calls.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I’m rewatching Rika’s SP, 3A was definitely fully rotated.

3F3T looks fully rotated too, the 3T was well around. Bad toe pick on the 3T though. Not so much PR on the 3F(I’m actually surprised). She covered a very good distance with this combo!

Very good speed on sitspin, centered.

She has great transitions in and out of the rippon 3Lz. Great jump! Except... That was definitely UR!!

CCoSp traveled a lot. Good positions though.

StSq beautiful, light, great flow.

Layback spin, perfect.

Overall a solid program from Rika!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
and she had a higher base value! lilbet had a 3lz, 2A, 3s-3t yet she was less than a point under rika who had a 3A (with a fall but most likely rotated), 3lz and 3F-3T

i've very curious as to what you thought the scores should have been instead. :think:

There is something very wrong on how Mia Hamada skaters rotate and their position in the air: you can see Rika goes completely off axis in the 3A (and she always does even when she lands it, plus i'd need a closer view to see if it was really fully rotated) and to some extent also the 3ltz is not completely straight. You can totally see some of these issues also on Miyahara and Marin Honda.

Then transitions guys, Rika's entries into the jumps are not difficult at all, only very little steps going into the lutz and that's it, although that compensate with a stronger landing.

About the scores basically the same just inverted, with Rika getting less PCS because for me a fall in the SP should affect the components (i can give a pass in the free with so many elements, but in the SP you only have 3 jumping elements)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I haven't seen Stanislava's SP cause it's geoblocked in my country for some reason, but she did well. (and she has a nice short)

Hopefully that call on the flip, will convince her and the coach to change it with a 3lo.

andromache

Record Breaker
Lilibet didn't get a Level 4 on her StSq and Rika did. Rika's BV advantage also very narrowly outweighed the cost of the 3A fall.

It's close enough where it could've easily gone either way. I don't see the big deal here when it will all be determined in the LP anyway. No one was called incorrectly on anything.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

i am not arguing who should have gotten higher or not... i haven't seen the skates...

but here is something a 3a with -5 is now worth 4 points - 1 deduction for the fall = 3 points....

a good 2a will always be higher than that in points.....

also I am sure that LilBet would put the combo in the bonus points.... for an extra 10 percent.. that would be classic....

finally, levels of non-jump elements can be a factor too...

anyways... not arguing which skater deserves better but just explaining how a 3a, if there is a fall, is not much of an asset anymore... it's like those guys who used to do a quad because if they fell, they would still get more points than a triple.. no longer true and that's great IMHO.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
It's interesting that Kihira didn't have any of her jump in the 2nd half. Not sure if it's on purpose or something else? So to take up that adv. by modifying the program a little bit, and with a stablized 3A, there's still room to grow in her SP.

lusk8

Record Breaker
Protocols seem fair to me, Rika got hammared for that 3A fall with a huge negative GOE, almost to the point that if she took it out and nailed a 2A it would have been better (points wise, guys). I applaud her for going for it and think she should keep going with it.

Well done Elizabet for having that combo in the only bonus slot of the SP, it was totally worth her while.

Both girls got the same GOE on their 3Lz.

Step sequence difference seemed to hurt more than anything on the jumps. Again, well done Elizabet. Congrats Rika.

Looking at Polina's sheet is tough, wow, what a beating. Even in components. I hope she rallies and finishes strong with a way better FP presentation.