2018 NHK Men's Free Skate | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Men's Free Skate

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Not his cleanest obviously, but very happy for Sergei getting silver! And what a lovely surprise, Matteo getting bronze! Congratulations to them and to Shoma, love the podium :luv17:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Four URs for Zhou and I swear to god I better not hear Zakrasjek whinging about any of them.

Night!

:bed:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh are those towels with Shoma's name on them? That's rather funny!

Aww Russian flags with Sergei's name on them.

And Italian flags for Matteo!

+5.00 GOE for the Japanese fans!

Also I just realised...no feet ads on the rink barrier! :laugh2:

asyuraniel

Rinkside
I love him, his energy and all, but the way he is judges just ruins it. just can't
I know they are trying to make a Hanyu v2, but he is not Hanyu, and he doesn't looke like he will improve if judges keep giving 100500 GOE on his jumps and everything else.
I agree with you about judge. I feel like he is being betrayed by judge rather than they actually helping him. He not someone that want to win without his own effort. But Don’t worry, I believe he never slacking, his aim is to win Hanyu and he know with this type of performance, he will never win against Hanyu. He did say this year he skating for growth and he change a lot of his jump entry to get better GOE. His program this year look empty this year because he do not want to lower his technical content despite the 30s reduction. But it look like this session will be a painful growth for him.

Danny T

Medalist
Whoo, not that bad an end considering what happened in the first half of the men's event. Ladies have always been superior anyway ;) (even their judging shenanigans are superior ok? Think Sochi ladies v. Vancouver men :devil:). Shoma's judging is ... still Shoma's judging, but personally I'm happy he kind of redeemed himself in Japan - never tended to skate that well in front of the home crowd. Ecstatic for uncle Sergei to go the GPF, and happy Matteo sneaked in a bronze! Sota, with considerable lower tech content due to the injury, remains in top 6. Kinda have most of what I want :rofl:

Now off to dinner :biggrin:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Well, work overlapped with the men and it seems that Dmitri failed to exceed my expectations and messed up his free... Gold and Silver is as expected, but whoa Matteo Rizzo on podium is not what I was expecting (was expecting around 5th), congratulations nonetheless. Will catch up when I get home.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
Bronze for Matteo!!! I’m so happy that my underdog faves are stepping up this season. :cheer:

I didn’t watch it yet but ouch Shoma only one combination? I want to enjoy your FS so bad, please hit those jumps.

cake

On the Ice
Voronov best Russian man in GP. While I´m really happy for grandpa Voronov still going strong, on the other hand I´m crying buckets over Aliev and Kolyada. They have it all imo, but make so many mistakes over and over again :cry:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Whoo, not that bad an end considering what happened in the first half of the men's event. Ladies have always been superior anyway ;) (even their judging shenanigans are superior ok? Think Sochi ladies v. Vancouver men :devil:). Shoma's judging is ... still Shoma's judging, but personally I'm happy he kind of redeemed himself in Japan - never tended to skate that well in front of the home crowd. Ecstatic for uncle Sergei to go the GPF, and happy Matteo sneaked in a bronze! Sota, with considerable lower tech content due to the injury, remains in top 6. Kinda have most of what I want :rofl:

Now off to dinner :biggrin:

Pairs brought Salt Lake City though... And man was that a scandal.

Sergei in the GPF is awesome!!!

Enjoy your dinner!

As for me, it's nearly midnight here down under so I'm off to bed :bed:

GGFan

Record Breaker
Voronov best Russian man in GP. While I´m really happy for grandpa Voronov still going strong, on the other hand I´m crying buckets over Aliev and Kolyada. They have it all imo, but make so many mistakes over and over again :cry:

Two of the biggest talents in skating today. Neither is the best competitor. They need to get Yagudin and Plushenko on the line stat! Or maybe have them train together and compete (I love Dmitri's coaches though)

Leonardo

Final Flight
Was it the short his first year as a senior that had the funky music? That was so interesting and fresh. That's where I thought his career was going. I thought that after the Olympics he would stop playing it safe. I would love for him to do something modern and contemporary.

Exactly.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to all medalists. Very sad for Dmitri, but happy to see Mattteo with the bronze. Love the contrast between Shoma's programs with the more modern vibe with Stairway to Heaven and the opportunity to show off his beautiful skating skills in Moonlight. Both programs have already evolved so much since I first saw them in August. Please Shoma, don't ever become a Hanyu v. 2 as suggested above. Continue to be true to yourself.

4 quads, a 3A and a 3-jump sequence in 4 minutes are a huge test of anyone's stamina, so still a work in progress. I think there was no gas in the tank left when it was time for the easy 3S. However, big improvement since August!

LadyB

Record Breaker
I’m with you, but yet again, Sergei is the most consistent Russian man. It won’t matter, as the Russian fed pursues a different agenda... unless Sergei medals at the GPF and the Nationals :pray:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Wow.. I wake up to the good news about Sergei, Matteo and, of course, Shoma!!

How long has it been since a man from Italy has won a medal in the GP series?