2018 NHK Trophy: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Trophy: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews

Globetrotter

Medalist
Sergei laying it down was the highlight for me, helping me to forget about the terrible skates from Dima and Deniss. Shoma continues to get a free pass and absurd GOE for his hideous jumps while everyone else gets checked with a fine-toothed comb. It's just wrong. The rest of the men are best forgotten.

Rika is certainly one of the most well rounded skaters around and I'm very happy for her, even though I don't like her SP. Congrats to Liza, of course. And a huge amount of credit to Alena for defying the odds time and time again. Look how many younger Russian girls who were supposed to overtake her and freeze her out - and aren't even part of the conversation any more. Maria may soon join that list...

That's pretty much all I watched because of the time difference.

I personally think that Rika will do better with more upbeat contemporary music which better matches her energetic skating style and power. Soft lyrical pieces like Claire de Lune are probably more suited to someone like Satoko or Eunsoo Lim. Just like nobody will think of giving Liza Tuks a soft princessy piece, the same goes for Rika.

tokoyami

On the Ice
I personally think that Rika will do better with more upbeat contemporary music which better matches her energetic skating style and power. Soft lyrical pieces like Claire de Lune are probably more suited to someone like Satoko or Eunsoo Lim. Just like nobody will think of giving Liza Tuks a soft princessy piece, the same goes for Rika.

well if Rika always played to her strengths and never worked on styles that showcase potential weaknesses how will she ever become a versatile skater and overcome those weaknesses, ya know? Same goes with any other skater who has or have had weak programs that didn't play to their strengths.

Instead of seeing those programs as 'bad choices' I like to view those as opportunities skaters are actively taking to become better

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Interspectator, Although the only way I could afford to fly over is by postage stamp, I'd might just try it the next time you and yours have a skating party. LOVED the post.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Interspectator, Although the only way I could afford to fly over is by postage stamp, I'd might just try it the next time you and yours have a skating party. LOVED the post.

:yahoo: glad people liked my description of a NHK party in the middle of nowhere.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
:yahoo: glad people liked my description of a NHK party in the middle of nowhere.

Another adorer chiming in, although my Japanese is far from fluent I would love to have been there. I'm the only one in my family who watches FS, you have an enviable family.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the morning or noon news shows, I've seen a protocol sheet (usually Yuzu's or Shoma's) blown up and dissected, element by element for up to 30 MINUTES! Usually they invite a skater or commentator like Honda or Oda or Sano Minoru to help with this.
The fandom is serious over here.

Wow, that is amazing. If that happened here, though, I'd never be able to get any tickets.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I wish my family had such parties as Interspectator describes. So cool! But it looks to be dependent on decent coverages, which are a gamble in my part of the world.
Anyway! I'm not a great writer, so I'll write in simple points.

- first and foremost, Sota. He wasn't perfect, but he tried all he can do at present, and did really well in his GP debut. Well worth getting up early to see him skate. I hope for more good things to come his way this season, he sure deserves a break from bad luck!
- among the other men, Shoma and Sergei stood out for me. I loved Shoma's gala, we got to see a whole new side of him! His SP is very good too, but I wasn't feeling the Moonlight sonata. I still see P/C's before my eyes, and Shoma's falls very much short in comparison. Sergei is cool, I loved how he fought till the end and didn't slow down. The big jumps are impressive at his age, and is it just me, or did he add more choreo elements into his FP? I quite agreed with the podium here, as in all disciplines. Rizzo was good and sold his program, and for Deniss, I actually preferred his gala to his FP, he wasn't too believable in his samurai role for me even had he landed all his jumps. Aliev's programs just whizzed past me without me remembering anything, he does nothing for me at this point. Too bad about Kevin's bad skates, I think the programs have potential. Lee was likeable, although his rendering of Rachmaninov's concerto pales in comparison with 14-year-old's Sota's take on it; and thumbs up too for poor overlooked Hiroaki Sato who tried hard and the opening looked very promising. Not as memorable as last year's peacock program and Barber program, but once he hits his jumps, he will be a strong competitor at nationals IMO.

- the ladies. A great event, and I liked even those at the bottom of the field like Kailani. I am not yet a fan of Rika Kihira, but she was very impressive and I cannot find a single flaw about her LP especially. Great choice of music, too. Was it by a Japanese composer? Something about it reminded me of the song about a lake that I heard played by a koto orchestra last year. I am really liking Satoko and Mai this year, for me they were artistically the best in the field here. I hope Satoko goes back to the previous dress though, the white kind of washes her out. Eun Soo also made a strong impression on me. The Korean lady skaters are sure on the rise, if EunSoo and the ones I saw in JGP coverages are any indication. Too bad about Angela Wang, she has a lovely program this year and soulful presentation, but the jumps just aren't there yet. But likeable still. I am not a fan of Leonova's style so no comment there except that it's impressive how she keeps pace with the youngsters. Maria Sotskova was a disappointment, neither the SP nor the LP suit her this year IMO, she isn't feeling the music. And the less said about the costumes the better. The worst in this field, especially the one for the FP which looks like ants are swarming about her shoulders, yuk. I hope she gets rid of it, and gets better programs next year. Maybe that would help her feel more at ease jump-wise, too. I have a love-hate relationship with Liza'a programs this season; I like them and her consistency and jumps make me happy, but I dislike her gala (and any programs that involve stripping down to one's underwear), and dislike her new version of cantilever. But overall I'm happy for her, a well-deserved GPF ticket for her.

- there was too little coverage of pairs and dance on TV, I had to catch up on the internet and haven't watched all yet. I was happy to see Komatsubara/Koleto pick a Japanese tune for their gala, finally some change language-wise. All 3 podium pairs had nice routines, but I am waiting for a dance that makes me go 'wow' this season. The Italians and Gil/Poi got the closest but they weren't here. Hawayek/Baker's gala was the most memorable dance for me :)

- Zabiiako/Enbert in pairs give me strong Stolbova/Klimov vibes, but S/K were never my cup of tea so same verdict from me, nearly perfect but kind of cold rendition. I liked Peng/Jin though I believe the costumes could be more flattering and they seem a tad emotionless for Piaf's songs. But 'Ophelia' is on its way to become one of my favorite pair programs this season. I am a fan of Moore-Towers/Marinaro and enjoyed their programs at SC, but the Knierims were stronger in their elements here. Shoutouts to M-T/M cool Bobrova lift exit, and to Kayne/O'Shea very nice finale of their Swan Lake.

- Go home, Kevin, you're just embarrassing yourself at this point.:palmf::palmf::palmf:

wow, isn't that too harsh?

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

your family got a lot of fans:biggrin: (me included)

my highlights

- ladies competition as a whole. the level was so high and the show so good! of course the highlight in the highlight were kihira, miyahara and tuktamisheva.

- uncle sergei getting silver! he came to slay and to show those yougsters how to skate clean(ish :biggrin:) and he was wearing pajamas:laugh:

- matteo- vintage men - rizzo winning the second italian medal of the year in a gp circuit ( this season he is in the 60s, maybe next year he will be in the 70s :biggrin: I predict a short on a mina’s mash up and a fs on david bowie )

- austin power ex

RobinA

On the Ice
well if Rika always played to her strengths and never worked on styles that showcase potential weaknesses how will she ever become a versatile skater and overcome those weaknesses, ya know? Same goes with any other skater who has or have had weak programs that didn't play to their strengths.

Instead of seeing those programs as 'bad choices' I like to view those as opportunities skaters are actively taking to become better

Yes. I agree that this is a good idea and the best time to do it - one year into the new cycle. I've seen several programs that are so not what the person is good at that I have to think this is their plan. Plus, it leads to pleasant surprises. Moonlight Sonata is the LAST music I'd pick for Uno, but I thought that worked very well for him. I have to hand it to the Japanese, Ladies and Men's, for putting together some really nice skating with interesting choreography. If it weren't for them I'd be sleeping through most of these events.

I have to say, I just don't get the love for Tukta. I find her programs uninteresting and her skating not great and approaching sloppy. Obviously it's me who's missing something, because she does get the scores.

Globetrotter

Medalist

Of course it is important to challenge and go out of the comfort zone. But we also have got to be realistic and be sure the music is something the skater is able to interpret and showcase the strengths. In Rika’s case, I do not think soft lyrical pieces will be the best medium for her to display her powers. Perhaps a chanson or big ballad with rhythmic frequency for a change.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In pairs, I always enjoy Peng and Jen and was happy to see them podium. Very glad for the Knierims that they made the podium with a redemptive skate of sorts. They have some WOW elements, and I hope eventually they can get back to their 4Tw. Their training situation hasn't been easy these past few months, and I hope they can settle in and get down to business now that they are with Todd and Jenny. They took away some great lessons from Aliona, and I hope they can continue to incorporate the things she taught them. Glad they are sticking with their Benoit choreography. Disappointed that Tarah and Danny didn't have a better showing. Looking forward to good things from Audrey Lu and partner.

I love both of Shoma's programs and am happy to see they have grown so much since I first saw them in August. Stamina is still a problem in the 4 minute long program, but it had already improved in the two weeks since Sk Can. I don't pay much attention to the overscored mantra that the arm chair judges love to spout. Having problems with a flip takeoff doesn't negate all the other wonderful qualities he has...Deniss, those pants! :) I could hardly concentrate on the program because of the pants. That's the first time I've seen his programs this year, and I think they need to grow on me...So happy to see Sota back out there. His regal posture and smooth skating are so enjoyable, but I find myself still worrying about his ankle! He's come a long way though. Kudos to him for being a fighter!...My Dmitri! :shocked: What happened? I love his skating and programs and fully expected him to be on the podium. I have this nagging feeling that he is injured and is keeping it quiet...Gramps Voronov, what can I say? A sentimental favorite of mine for a variety of reasons (which I explained in his FF so won't put here again). Congrats.

For the past several years, I haven't paid much attention to the ladies, but things are starting to get REALLY interesting again! Rika, what can anyone say but :jaw: While I don't think Liza has as much attention to detail in her programs as Rika and Satoko, I still enjoy her skating, especially her Assassin's Tango SP. Her Mishin jumps are pretty amazing. So very happy for Mariah Bell! I get the sense that she enjoys both of her programs this year, and that makes a world of difference for her. She skated with effervescence and joy. Now if she can just be consistent on her jumps. No matter what their placements, I always enjoy Kailani and Mae.

Didn't get to see any of the dance but hope to get to it soon. I did hear that Hawayek and Baker won and am happy about that! Of course was hugely disappointed that Papadakis and Cizeron couldn't compete. Heal well Guillaume!!!

Thank you to the Japanese audience for being so welcoming to skaters from all countries, for clapping along to the music, and for giving encouragement clapping to those skaters who needed it during their skates. I know it would be difficult (maybe impossible?), but it is my dream to go to an event in Japan some day.

RobinA

On the Ice
I had the same thought when watching the Dmitri LP. I kept thinking, Is he injured?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^ That would certainly explain the drastic downward scoring trajectory. I feel bad for the guy. He should power at Europeans last year how amazingly he could be and hasn’t been able to really replicate it fully since.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I loved the party description. A bit jealous to be honest. I am the only one among my family and friends who are into FS. Even my mates at FS lessons (yeah, I do a bit of skating myself though not at any level) don't follow the competitions. Lucky you Interspectator! and...I'll welcome any future description of such a party. Yay!

tokoyami

On the Ice
I was so excited to hear that Shoma was doing Moonlight Sonata, and I do think it has potential IF he can add more choreo to it. Right now it just seems like a very very basic interpretation and feels like Beethoven is doing the heavy lifting for him thus far. Please PLEASE shomachka put a little more spice in it so I can bear watching it!

Also I just love Sota's programs this season. I thought his programs last season were masterpieces and was sooooo worried about his SP because it has no 'BIG moments' in the music but he has really improved in his interpretation and presentation and he's just such a wonderful skater. I'm so glad he's come back so strong and I wonder if there will ever be a time where I don't burst into tears at the sight of him landing a PERFECT 3a

Icey

Record Breaker
What's the thinking behind giving a skater points for the combination jump when something happens like happened with Uno (he fell on the first jump and could not even attempt the second jump of the combo) ?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was traveling and busy over the week-end, and I had to laugh at myself. I only had time for ONE Free Skate before I left for a 5-hour drive, and I picked :hap10:Alexa and Chris Knierim's to watch. I've agonized over their struggles and was half afraid to see it. But I was so happy for them! They've re-captured their spirit and were able to show us so many of their wonderful qualities in their Free program. Just beautiful extension, position, and quality on many elements. Even their jumps look to be having small gains from comp to comp now. And the throw jumps were just gorgeous, with such confident landings. I had to wonder if Todd Sand, and possibly Jenny, haven't already had a tremendously calming and stabilizing effect on both of them, but especially Alexa. Some people need positive feedback to be motivated to give their best; and I think Alexa may be one of those. I do hope they can retain and continue to refine most of the content that Aljona and Benoit created for them. I had this vision of Jenny writing down in a notebook every move, every nuance of choreography as they remembered it; maybe forgetting some at first or leaving some out, but regaining it as training progresses. Maybe I'm crazy, but that is the vision I had! This was such a great confidence builder for them, and I think they'll be happier going forward. I still think Chris must have gotten some instruction and attention from someone in Aljona's team, because I see a difference in him. Possibly he has fewer distractions.

Other than that, I was finally able to watch all the pairs, SP and FS, and all the ladies. Pairs were a mixed pleasure, but Peng and Jin were a huge highlight. I just enjoy the heck out of that pair's skating. I think this year, I'm seeing new things in his expression that add so much. His face reflects everything charming and light. I am just happy while they skate, and it was so great to see them hit their jumps. The throws are gorgeous. I'm enjoying Tarah and Danny less; it seems like Danny is receding, effacing himself. And he shouldn't! But they have some lovely moves. I am a fan of Audrey and Misha and really love his expression. His smile and his Russian-style presentation are wonderful.

But as far as this event went, it was LADIES, ladies, ladies. I don't know when I've seen so many high-quality skates from ladies in one event. Mariah Bell is transformed into more truly herself; I think the programs this year rely less on her cuteness and more on her whole self; she's giving everything. I was very frustrated, along with her, when she had the SP mistake, and so overjoyed with how well she skated her FS. Eunsoo is breathtaking in the SP; she reminded me technique-wise of Yuna, but to me Eunsoo is a warmer skater. I'm a little ambivalent about Chicago for a 15-year-old, but she does express parts of it well. I also really like Alena Leonova; she's got a unique quality and personality. She really brought her best technique too.

And it seems like every event, I'm thrilled with another new Japanese girl. But Rika:love: takes the cake completely. She has won my heart. Great jumps are never enough for me, but Rika has everything, and her triple axels are divine. Then that 3A-3T. Gorgeous. Besides her incredible jumps, I found the most impressive part of her performance to be her musical interpretation. She feels every note, every nuance. A Beautiful Storm is pretty much perfect, the perfect music with the perfect costume and the perfect musicality. Just everything smooth; nothing looked robotic or rushed. That's it, nothing was rushed, even though she skated fast and rotated fast. That's it! I just got what I was reaching for: Rika is the calm within the Storm, and somehow it's her skating that expresses both Storm and Calm. She was perfectly focused without giving up any of her expression.

And one of the best things about his ladies event was that absolutely nothing was a foregone conclusion. Anyone, including a casual viewer, could watch the free skates and understand completely the result. That's a very satisfying way to feel after watching a skating competition.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I remembered one more thing, the scoring box on TV. I want them to keep the green and red indicators of positive or negative GOE. This one is kind of impractical as it requires hawk eyes to see if there's a tiny (-) or not.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remembered one more thing, the scoring box on TV. I want them to keep the green and red indicators of positive or negative GOE. This one is kind of impractical as it requires hawk eyes to see if there's a tiny (-) or not.

My eyes are definitely not hawk eyes. I did not even know there was a tiny - or not. Please dump Ashley and bring back Charlie, NBC. Ashley said in an article she knew nothing about pairs, so why is she commentating them? I can see Alexa has her hair in a ponytail and has red lipstick on; I'd like to hear about actual skating.