2018 Olympic Figure Skating Livestreams | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Livestreams

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Wow, talk about an about-face!! I must send a shout-out to the rotten weather at the snowboard course - thank you for leaving 7 with nothing to show but figure skating! ;)
Like, literally nothing....Day 2 (two &1/2?) is not an ideal time to need to rely on repeat footage.

Gotta say though, whilst I certainly do feel sorry for the athletes who now have an entire competition crammed into one morning, it is somewhat smugly satisfying to watch our host go from “meh, skating, shhmmmating” to “but on the OTHER end of the condition spectrum is the FIGURE SKATING!!! *twelve second forced smile* Let’s go back!! That’s totally what we had planned!! *twelve second forced smile* 😉

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Ben Agosto said he was commentating on the NBC 4K stream, how do you find that? I am streaming the NBC stream and it has a british lady and some stupid guy.

You have to have a 4K TV with the option for 4K programming from your provider. It is not available on the NBC site.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I've been trying to stream through YouTube and I'm missing everything. I don't have NBC as a streaming option for some reason and while I found a schedule that had skating on NBC Sports Network that is not actually showing the skating. Hulu is the same with no NBC. Xfinity doesn't have any options for my locations.

I'm getting desperate. I can live without the team stuff if I have to but I don't want to miss everything.

any ideas?

Have you tried going the other way around? Go to the NBC website. Click on the http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how-watch-literally-all-figure-skating-during-2018-winter-olympics-pyeongchang Link. Pick a stream (not practice videos as they are not saved) The prompt will tell you how to do the verifying process - Youtube TV should be one of the options. You then will be able to watch on the NBC Site.

Artistry

On the Ice
Have you tried going the other way around? Go to the NBC website. Click on the http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how-watch-literally-all-figure-skating-during-2018-winter-olympics-pyeongchang Link. Pick a stream (not practice videos as they are not saved) The prompt will tell you how to do the verifying process - Youtube TV should be one of the options. You then will be able to watch on the NBC Site.

Those links take me back to the NBC app. Most videos and archived events require authentication. What I don’t get is NBC isn’t cable, so why do I need to authenticate? I guess I’ll stick to my over-air antenna live coverage.

Are there any archived events without authentication, like from Russian channels? If I can’t catch it on NBC?

A.H.Black

Final Flight
You need to authenticate because NBC wants to know that you are paying someone to see their product (video/stream etc.) If you are not paying someone (cable/satellite/etc) to view NBC, they will not let you view their product. That's the way it is. Are you not paying to view Youtube TV? If you are, you should be able to authenticate. If not, you are indeed stuck with over-the-air coverage. Or, you can try one of the streaming links that has been posted and watch on your device.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Cross posting from the TV schedule thread.

Schedule for Sunday - Figure Skating - 02/11/18

Times are Eastern

Olympic Ice Pre-show - 6:00 pm streaming/NBCSN
Competition - 8:00 pm - streaming/NBC
Olympic Ice Post-show - 11:05 pm appears to be only online.

There is a practice scheduled but the time is not correct. I understand it will start at 6:30 eastern

reneerose

Final Flight
I've been trying to stream through YouTube and I'm missing everything. I don't have NBC as a streaming option for some reason and while I found a schedule that had skating on NBC Sports Network that is not actually showing the skating. Hulu is the same with no NBC. Xfinity doesn't have any options for my locations.

I'm getting desperate. I can live without the team stuff if I have to but I don't want to miss everything.

any ideas?
Did you say you have a Hulu subscription? There is a drop down menu to select other providers, including Internet ala carte TV services like Sling or Hulu, You Tube TV, Roku, etc etc, I didn't notice the drop down menu originally, but the drop down menu arrow selection is below the other main TV providers...it's a big long list...you would select Hulu or whichever ala carte Internet TV service you purchased a subscription for to authenticate and then it would let you into the NBC stream.

Artistry

On the Ice
You need to authenticate because NBC wants to know that you are paying someone to see their product (video/stream etc.) If you are not paying someone (cable/satellite/etc) to view NBC, they will not let you view their product. That's the way it is. Are you not paying to view Youtube TV? If you are, you should be able to authenticate. If not, you are indeed stuck with over-the-air coverage. Or, you can try one of the streaming links that has been posted and watch on your device.

My point was that if NBC is not a cable channel like HBO, and I can watch content for free over air, it doesn’t make sense for them to ask for credentials of the fact I am paying for content, the same content they transmit for free.

reneerose

Final Flight
My point was that if NBC is not a cable channel like HBO, and I can watch content for free over air, it doesn’t make sense for them to ask for credentials of the fact I am paying for content, the same content they transmit for free.

I hate to say this....but watching the Olympics these days involves paying a fee to someone somewhere of some sort. NBC doesn't recognize viewers who watch for free over antenna for the livestream feature, which I agree is totally not fair. I wish we could go back to the old days of free off of antenna and no cable. The sport was more accessible then. But now, the stuff that gets uploaded for Olympic events on You Tube gets pulled off immediately for copyright or logo or whatever.... NBC if they were smart should put it all on their own You Tube archival channel. But they are being very proprietary and monopolistic. Olympic programs are the only programs I have the most difficulty locating on You Tube. Sad sad sad. I feel your pain though.

viennaskater

Medalist
Anyone know who the commentators are on the live events (on Eurosport 3 and 5 usually). One is a guy (American or Canadian) and the other is an Australian woman. I am finding them somewhat irritating as they tell me nothing I don't already know and that woman will insist on giving 'helpful' comments DURING THE PERFORMANCES! :frown: If you are reading this, dear, PLEASE save your review until after the performance. Thank you.

(Thankfully, I have the option to have it without commentary. Oh how I miss Chris Howarth & Co!)

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Anyone know who the commentators are on the live events (on Eurosport 3 and 5 usually). One is a guy (American or Canadian) and the other is an Australian woman. I am finding them somewhat irritating as they tell me nothing I don't already know and that woman will insist on giving 'helpful' comments DURING THE PERFORMANCES! :frown: If you are reading this, dear, PLEASE save your review until after the performance. Thank you.

I have absolutely no idea who they are. There were a couple of skates from the SPs that I had to stream online because NBC didn't show them, and NBC's online feed had their commentary. They didn't say their names when I watched, and I have found anything on an internet search, yet.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice

(Thankfully, I have the option to have it without commentary. Oh how I miss Chris Howarth & Co!)

Belinda Noonan might be the woman you’re thinking of/hearing non-stop.
She’s commentating with an American guy who’s name escapes me atm.
She does literally talk through the entire skate.

ETA- Jim Van Horne is the American/Canadian guy. Just saw it on her FB page.
In an amazing display of how bad our coverage is, Belinda, the Australian Media Manager, is advising Australians to get a VPN for Canada/America so we can watch the skating 😂

Last edited:

GGFan

Record Breaker
Belinda Noonan might be the woman you’re thinking of/hearing non-stop.
She’s commentating with an American guy who’s name escapes me atm.
She does literally talk through the entire skate.

Thank you so much because I need to stop calling her the Aussie woman. :biggrin:She talks but for some reason I'm easily able to tune her out. It's not as if she is competing with the performance as much as Tara and Johnny. Some voices stick out for me more than others.

What I love is that she'll be completely right about some things and then just throw in some random wrong facts confidently. Belinda, please do a little more research. :dev2:

pearly

Record Breaker
Eurosport Player finally has the option to switch between languages for commentary. The lack of this option was why I canceled my subscription a year ago. I decided to get it again for the Olympics and I'm glad I did because everything is available on demand as well as live.

What bugs me is that even when it says HD it is not HD.

On a different note - is there a topic with Tara's and Johnny's comments? I see a lot of negative feedback, but haven't heard actual examples. I have seen the outfits though. Talk about putting on a show.

A.H.Black

Final Flight

However, most of the content is not what they broadcast for free - only a small portion is from the over-the-air broadcasts. If they make it available to everyone for free - cable, satellite, and all other companies that provide NBC as part of their programming would have their business greatly harmed. I'm sure it is part of all contracts between NBC and any/every company that makes NBC programming available that NBC must provide a way to prove that those who watch are paying someone for the privilege. It's too bad that it is inconvenient for you but you are in the very tiny minority. Even those who don't have any service usually have a TV. I'm assuming you don't and are trying to watch online. I still suggest you try one of the streaming links that people have posted.

Artistry

On the Ice
First of all, I have a brand new smart Sony television, I just use over air antenna (don’t have cable). Second, people who don’t have cable are no longer a tiny minority, in fact most are migrating to cutting the cord. Third, I’m well aware of various platforms and streams I can watch. My point was that back in the golden age of this sport, regular TV people had in their homes provided free content on major networks.

Obviously, the landscape has changed.

Artistry

On the Ice
I hate to say this....but watching the Olympics these days involves paying a fee to someone somewhere of some sort. NBC doesn't recognize viewers who watch for free over antenna for the livestream feature, which I agree is totally not fair. I wish we could go back to the old days of free off of antenna and no cable. The sport was more accessible then. But now, the stuff that gets uploaded for Olympic events on You Tube gets pulled off immediately for copyright or logo or whatever.... NBC if they were smart should put it all on their own You Tube archival channel. But they are being very proprietary and monopolistic. Olympic programs are the only programs I have the most difficulty locating on You Tube. Sad sad sad. I feel your pain though.

Exactly! Thank you for your empathy! I guess I’ll pay for youtube tv or whatever. Thanks!

reneerose

Final Flight
Exactly! Thank you for your empathy! I guess I’ll pay for youtube tv or whatever. Thanks!

Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now. I'm paying for Sling TV-- Blue, which is relatively affordable for me. It allows me to log on to the mercy of the NBC website and watch the replays. The Australian lady commentator is much better than listening to T&J. I plan to cancel it when the Olympics are done, but I'm afraid I may get hooked on it for other sports. I should look into the antenna thing though for regular basic TV. I miss the Golden Age!

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Thank you so much because I need to stop calling her the Aussie woman. :biggrin:She talks but for some reason I'm easily able to tune her out. It's not as if she is competing with the performance as much as Tara and Johnny. Some voices stick out for me more than others.

What I love is that she'll be completely right about some things and then just throw in some random wrong facts confidently. Belinda, please do a little more research. :dev2:

Haha I know, I nearly choked with laughter when she called Alina’s skate!
“...her coach will BE VERY PROUD!!”
Uh....Belinda, I’d like to introduce you to Eteri. You know, the coach sitting next to Alina looking very un-proud 😂

I think she’s trying to educate Aussies as much as she possibly can about skating, which in itself is necessary, especially given that those here who’ll even let skating be played on the TV will come up with gems such as “no, she (Alina) has been jumping since the start!!” - because apparently a foot leaving the ice qualifies as a jump. That would explain the edge-by-edge commentary (especially the ice dance - I swear every edge change was pointed out!).
It’s too bad that it’s not available as an optional subtitle or something, like “here are some footnotes for those who have yet to visit an ice rink, and a mute button for those who have and do not want a hyper speed lecture lol”.

Not to mention that Australians do tend to yammer on constantly during absolutely every sporting event...if I hadn’t heard commentary from other nations, I would’ve thought the non-stop talking was perfectly normal....you oughta hear our horse racing commentary. Gives auctioneers a run for their money ;)