2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs SP | Page 88 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs SP

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I have caught up with most of the last two groups and I'd like to congrat Sui/Han on a PB and an absolutely incredible SP. T/M also were amazing (I really like their SP but I really don't care for Candyman as the OGM program, I'm sorry if this makes me a bad person, so I'm doubly rooting for Sui/Han).

Aside from the doubled 2S, S/M were also amazing and my babies J/C were on fire. The twist was the best I've seen them do it this season.

It's sad the feeling of seeing so many clean, amazing SPs in a row, live, cannot be matched to watching videos after the fact, which was unfortunately my experience.

Good luck to all in the FS!

Bcash

Final Flight
EEK. Yes, Sui/Han are the standard, but gosh did I wish that Aliona would finally get her gold medal. I'm sorry but if I was her, I'd be soooooo pissed off. Four years of all the hard work, just so he could DOUBLE a salcow?!??!?! Unacceptable. I was landing 2sals without a private coach decades ago. Completely unacceptable. A fall? Yeah, that sucks. A double? Don't EVEN speak to me. Aliona must be fuming.

Oh please. It's his first Olympics. Without him Savchenko would have had to retire.

treeloving

Medalist
Call me bitter but I still can fathom how a program like T/M get remotely close to other top team (even S/M made mistakes, they are miles ahead of T/M regardless).

If T/M skate for Germany they pcs will be around 32-33 maximum.:sarcasm:

btw, I think I am the only person here who prefer their Candyman or their short, at least in fs they show some personality.

So apparently 5 judges ranked T/M first and S/H were only able to pull ahead thanks to a world record score given by the Chinese judge.

- - - Updated - - -

You can do a survey here if you want.

GGFan

Record Breaker
So apparently 5 judges ranked T/M first and S/H were only able to pull ahead thanks to a world record score given by the Chinese judge.

- - - Updated - - -

You can do a survey here if you want.

:eekn: I see I need to start burning my candles and incense early tonight because the skating order is set up perfectly for the judges to mess around

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if Alexa and Chris are quite THAT bad. Even if they are somewhat lacking in terms of the PCS categories, they do truly have world class elements in terms of everything but the SBS jumps. But when the SBS jumps aren't there and the rest of the deep field is skating cleanly, they are going to fall behind.

I wonder if Zimmerman is working with any young US pairs? Plus, Zimmerman's skaters all seem to work with John Kerr, and it's clear that his choreography is A. brilliant and B. what judges and audiences are really responding to. It's such a waste if the US finally has a decent pair coach/choreographer duo and no US pairs go there.

Going from memory, so maybe not completely accurate, but- split twist looked crashy, jumps had stepout, and throw had a sketchy landing. Those are the three big elements, and they all had issues.

I promise, my criticism isn't intended to be personal - I just saw a big, big gap. Of course, their Team SP was much better, but even that wouldn't have stood up in this field.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Going from memory, so maybe not completely accurate, but- split twist looked crashy, jumps had stepout, and throw had a sketchy landing. Those are the three big elements, and they all had issues.

I promise, my criticism isn't intended to be personal - I just saw a big, big gap. Of course, their Team SP was much better, but even that wouldn't have stood up in this field.

I guess I tend to think of it from the glass half full perspective with the Knierims. I get depressed about US pairs when I see things like: 1) small twists; 2) lack of speed; and 3) aborted lifts. I rarely see teams improve these things and they usually get stuck in a tier for the rest of their careers.

They rarely mess up that twist and Alexa can certainly land that throw. They can definitely hang with the top 10 in those elements. The consistent problem has been the sbs jumps. I also think it's time to elevate their packaging.

Those to me are somewhat fixable things. It all depends on what their next moves are.

LoulouVi

Rinkside
Oh please. It's his first Olympics. Without him Savchenko would have had to retire.

117 pages and no time. Sorry, I started reading backwards. Also, I cannot find all characters on current keyboard.

Maybe that is true. She would have retired like the queen she is, with 5 world golds, just to mention a few of her achievements.
Or maybe she would have found another partner, she is not too shabby of a pick.

Massot, on the other hand, it is a long shot to say he could have skated with another queen and get a medal every time he enters worlds. There are not that many queens around.

That said, it is a parternship, Aliona knew what she was getting into, and she should not be mad. For obvious reasons, chief of which the fact that it would not benefit her one bit. I am not sure Massot would not be thrilled for just a medal, but I was under the impression he was under loads of stress, as the deal is for gold and gold only.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

You mean J2? Throw out all the scores s/he gave, each and every mark including the 10's still counted as given by some other judge. In the case of SS, J1's mark would be the one thrown out as the highest.

No single judge can pull a skater/team ahead as the highest and lowest scores are thrown out.

Blushingheart

Match Penalty
i know, i just know that T/m with that lousy Candyman will have almost the same PCS like S/H and more then S/M. Thats an insult to the rest of the skaters

whatif

Medalist
In this S/H vs. T/M PCS debate I would say that the only difference for me is in the fact that S/H are more seasoned and spent more time and resources on their packaging then T/M which should be reflected in some of the more subjective softer grades and that’s what happened here. Sui have been preparing for this Olympic gold for very long time whereas T/M are being put in this position because the planned leaders are out of the picture. But said that it is a testament to T/M that they are equal or superior on TES and all non subjective PCS grades to everyone else today. IMO. I can’t wait to see the rivalry between these two in the coming Olympic cycle.

andromache

Record Breaker
How is that so funny? It makes sense that T/M beat S/H in SS and lose on everything else...

But losing to them by only tenths or hundredths of a point in those categories?

IMO, Sui/Han's SP deserved to be scored like they're Virtue/Moir, Papadakis/Cizeron, or clean Hanyu or Medvedeva. They put out an iconic and sublime performance, and if they were from a more powerful skating country, we'd be seeing them scored that way.

(I hate jumping on scoring conspiracy bandwagons - but this is seriously a case of a weaker skating country being disadvantaged. China will need to step it up for 2022.)

beki

Medalist
T/M is now the most notorious example of PCS driven by TES. I like their skills and off-ice personalities, I see their potential and their hard work, but ultimately they are accountable for having subpar material their entire career. When you aren’t assertive enough to craft your own special image, that’s what makes you unworthy of gold at the present time.

whatif

Medalist
China isn’t a weak country! Last time I checked Chinese were reigning World champions. I do not see 2 point PCS advantage between these two. I would go as far as 1 point in some categories but that’s it. And judges agree consistently. I suspect Sui would have slightly higher PCS had they skated in the last group. Judges were waiting for S/M to deliver and when that did not happen, they just placed T/M where they would have been placed in any case. As their score here was almost identical to team event. I am confident the scoring in FS will be different.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In this S/H vs. T/M PCS debate I would say that the only difference for me is in the fact that S/H are more seasoned and spent more time and resources on their packaging then T/M which should be reflected in some of the more subjective softer grades and that’s what happened here. Sui have been preparing for this Olympic gold for very long time whereas T/M are being put in this position because the planned leaders are out of the picture. But said that it is a testament to T/M that they are equal or superior on TES and all non subjective PCS grades to everyone else today. IMO. I can’t wait to see the rivalry between these two in the coming Olympic cycle.

Come on, Wenjing had surgery on both her feet last year and was laid up for months. She had to learn how to walk again when she finally got off the bed. There was such uncertainty about whether this team could return to skating. Cong has said that without Wenjing, he would quit skating. They missed the Sochi Olympics and had their hearts set on 2018 but their plan and revolve were seriously tested by the cruel reality. It's far from smooth sailing and systematic implementation of their plan that got them to where they are today. It's super human will and grit that pulled them through.

Blushingheart

Match Penalty
T/M is now the most notorious example of PCS driven by TES. I like their skills and off-ice personalities, I see their potential and their hard work, but ultimately they are accountable for having subpar material their entire career. When you aren’t assertive enough to craft your own special image, that’s what makes you unworthy of gold at the present time.

Lets face it , the same is with Zagitova, Medviedeva.

Bcash

Final Flight
I have caught up with most of the last two groups and I'd like to congrat Sui/Han on a PB and an absolutely amazing SP. T/M also were amazing (I really like their SP but I really don't care for Candyman as the OGM program, I'm sorry if this makes me a bad person, so I'm doubly rooting for Sui/Han).

Aside from the doubled 2S, S/M were amazing and my babies J/C were on fire. The twist was the best I've seen them do it this season.

It's sad the feeling of seeing so many clean, amazing SPs in a row, live, cannot be matched to watching videos after the fact, which was unfortunately my experience.

Good luck to all in the FS!

Yeah I noticed the height and cleanness of J/C's twist too. They looked really comfortable out there.