2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Rooting for Adam to win if he can land 4Lz carrot.

Patrick, Kolyada and Keiji all have wonky quads.

Adam is gonna do 2A instead of 4Lz since he has never landed it clean in competition and it can jeopardize the rest of the performance.

Sackie

Medalist
OAR needs thre perfect results for the win - Zagitova and Kolyada first, with Gabby and Chan last, if B/S are third place in ID.

So how is a winning team decided if there is a tie score. Cause if the above happens wouldn't that give both Canada and the OAR 67 points?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I hate the choices Team USA made so much:

*Nathan Chen should have been skating both segments and the whole idea about him getting "too tired" is just ridiculous, look at Duhamel/Radford doing a full schedule when they have to skate the soonest in the individual event after the team event! Beyond that, Nathan could have set a record by being the first singles skater to win a Silver + Gold in one Olympics, if Team USA was taking this event seriously and really trying to top Russia. Now that possibility is probably gone.

*Shibutanis skating both segments when USA has 3 great teams and when the Shibutanis have been the weakest of the 3 in the Free Dance all season and also didn't even show a dominant Short Dance score? Ridiculous!

*Bradie should not have been chosen, I talked for months about how this would just be throwing away the chance of getting a higher placement that would be necessary for the USA to go above Bronze medal placement, and that's exactly what happened! Only getting 5th place in the SP when the door was open for a USA lady to get 3rd is so sad to see, consistency doesn't mean anything here, peak potential is what matters and it was so obvious that Bradie lacks quality and wouldn't pull in a score to challenge the top ladies. And, no, more face time with the judges is not going to help Bradie score better. Her skating needs to become less fugly for that to happen.

The other countries made really disappointing choices too:

RUSSIA - 1.) Tarasova/Morosov obviously should have been doing both segments in order to be most competitive here, 2.) Kolyada for the LP when he has disappointed there all season and when he completely bombed the SP?!? Aliev is the freaking European Silver medalist, give him his chance!!

JAPAN - 1.) Shoma not doing the LP when Japan had a shot a medal here, 2.) Why did they have Miyahara in the SP and Sakomoto in the LP instead of the other way around? Sakomoto placed better in the SP at Nationals and has skated it clean all season long, whereas Miyahara always has an underrotation on her combo, giving the judges an opportunity to drop her down. Sakomoto very possibility could have placed ahead of Osmond here.

ITALY - 1.) Not using Marchei/Hotarek for the SP. They soundly beat Monica/Guarise in both phases at Europeans and have always been the more talented team, so they really should have been used for both segments. Marchei/Hotarek could have placed 3 spots higher than Monica/Guarise in the SP, which would have made Italy an extremely serious medal threat.

Is anyone else wondering whether the US should have substituted Chock and Bates for the free dance and kept Bradie for the ladies free? Chock/Bates' free dance beat their teammates' at both the GPF and nationals, and their use of music that was in the opening ceremony can only help create more of a magical, "Olympic" aura around them. Fine if there's a strategy behind that choice, but if it's just because it would be a "bad look" to use both the 2nd and 3rd-place teams and leave out the national champions, I don't think that bodes well for the US. We may have been taking our medal for granted.

Honestly, though I love the US skaters, I think it would be incredible to see Italy win bronze. And it would increase the cachet of the team event at the next Olympics if the podium turned out to be less predictable than everyone expected.

ARipp42014

Medalist
So after watching the event and anticipating tonight’s conclusion, here’s a couple of thoughts:
1. Part of me still wished they sit out of the team FD and let WePoskate instead. Not because I like WePo but I want Voir save all that energy for the ind. FD. But with Chiddy very inconsistent, it’s the right move.
2. Speaking of the FD, glad they kept the same lineup from that SD. I love everyone’s FD this season, heck the Japanese grew on me.
3. With that said, the Men’s FS will be a nail biter. With the exception of Rizzo (how I did not discover this kid yet? He could be a threat with the right coaching team in a few years), any of the remaining 4 could win. Chiddy needs to beat Kolyada for gold. Tanaka can pull a surprise. ARipp can win the FS if he skates the way he did at NHK.
4. Meh to Alina. I have to admit that Zhenya grew on me this season. But this is turning into Michelle-Tara all over again!
5. Yay for Gabby and Mirai in the FS!
6. More Tanith, less Johnny and Tara.
7. Too bad I’m appeciating D/R now. Good for them winning the FD.
8. Yay for M/H skating lights out. I know Val was excited but hey that’s Anna’s man!
9. I’m ready for tonight’s splatfest/drinking game. Hopefully I’m not as tipsy as after the Men’s SP.
10. I’m all for cheering but the Russian fans are just as annoying as those NK “cheerleaders”.

Possible predictions

Men’s
10 pts USA (this is your moment, Adam)
9 pts JPN (he’s consistent)
8 pts CAN (Chiddy’s PCS will save him)
7 pts ITA (I really like this kid)
6 pts OAR (should have went with Aliev instead of swapping pairs)

Ladies
10 pts OAR (blah)
9 pts ITA (Carolina the PCS queen)
8 pts CAN (I like Gabby)
8 pts USA (go for the 3A!)
7 pts JPN (it’s going to be close between 2nd and 5th)

Ice Dance
10 pts CAN (I hope they have enough magic for next week’s FD)
9 pts USA (love the Shibs)
8 pts OAR (unpopular opinion but I love their FD)
7 pts ITA (Anna is so pretty)
6 pts JPN (hope they have fun today)

Final results
Gold: Canada 71 points
Silver: “Clean” Russia 63 points
Bronze: USA 62 points
4th: Italy 58 points
5th: Japan 56 points

I’m now I’m going back to semi-lerker mode until the Pairs FS.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I hate the choices Team USA made so much:

*Nathan Chen should have been skating both segments and the whole idea about him getting "too tired" is just ridiculous, look at Duhamel/Radford doing a full schedule when they have to skate the soonest in the individual event after the team event! Beyond that, Nathan could have set a record by being the first singles skater to win a Silver + Gold in one Olympics, if Team USA was taking this event seriously and really trying to top Russia. Now that possibility is probably gone.

*Shibutanis skating both segments when USA has 3 great teams and when the Shibutanis have been the weakest of the 3 in the Free Dance all season and also didn't even show a dominant Short Dance score? Ridiculous!

*Bradie should not have been chosen, I talked for months about how this would just be throwing away the chance of getting a higher placement that would be necessary for the USA to go above Bronze medal placement, and that's exactly what happened! Only getting 5th place in the SP when the door was open for a USA lady to get 3rd is so sad to see, consistency doesn't mean anything here, peak potential is what matters and it was so obvious that Bradie lacks quality and wouldn't pull in a score to challenge the top ladies. And, no, more face time with the judges is not going to help Bradie score better. Her skating needs to become less fugly for that to happen.

The other countries made really disappointing choices too:

RUSSIA - 1.) Tarasova/Morosov obviously should have been doing both segments in order to be most competitive here, 2.) Kolyada for the LP when he has disappointed there all season and when he completely bombed the SP?!? Aliev is the freaking European Silver medalist, give him his chance!!

JAPAN - 1.) Shoma not doing the LP when Japan had a shot a medal here, 2.) Why did they have Miyahara in the SP and Sakomoto in the LP instead of the other way around? Sakomoto placed better in the SP at Nationals and has skated it clean all season long, whereas Miyahara always has an underrotation on her combo, giving the judges an opportunity to drop her down. Sakomoto very possibility could have placed ahead of Osmond here.

ITALY - 1.) Not using Marchei/Hotarek for the SP. They soundly beat Monica/Guarise in both phases at Europeans and have always been the more talented team, so they really should have been used for both segments. Marchei/Hotarek could have placed 3 spots higher than Monica/Guarise in the SP, which would have made Italy an extremely serious medal threat.

But Bradie was the national champion. What were they supposed to do? Give her the cold shoulder? Karen and Mirai weren't scoring higher than her all year.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But Bradie was the national champion. What were they supposed to do? Give her the cold shoulder? Karen and Mirai weren't scoring higher than her all year.

If they are serious about medalling in the event they need to put the person in there who has the best chance of scoring high. Not based on whether they are national champion or not. I think the whole thing is kind of crappy because Bradie is not known to the judges and unfortunately that matters. Unfortunately Karen Chen is probably not going to score high either, IMHO (I hope I am wrong and she slays in the individual event!). So that would leave Mirai who is inconsistent and bleh, I don't know what I would have done.

Andrea82

Medalist
what needs to happen for Italy to get a surprise bronze? Capellini/Lanotte beating Shibs? + Carolina placing 2 places above Mirai? + Adam finishing third with Rizzo fifth?

that's possible ... let's say men's:
1, 2, : Keiji, Patrick or Kolyada, then Adam third - it could even turn out Keiji, Patrick, Kolyada 1,2,3 with Adam fourth (although that's not probable with the form Patrick is in)

1, 2: Alina, Carolina
3: Kaori
4: Gabby
5: Mirai
Also possible ...

I can't see Capellini/Lanotte overtaking the Shibs looking the way they were scored today, even though I think they deserved to be closer ... but C/L must place right behind the Shibs to make it happen ...

If Ladies go as you say, and Rippon only beats Rizzo by one spot and S/S beating C/L again only by one spot (so either B/S beating S/S or C/L beating B/S), they would be tied

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
If they are serious about medalling in the event they need to put the person in there who has the best chance of scoring high. Not based on whether they are national champion or not. I think the whole thing is kind of crappy because Bradie is not known to the judges and unfortunately that matters. Unfortunately Karen Chen is probably not going to score high either, IMHO (I hope I am wrong and she slays in the individual event!). So that would leave Mirai who is inconsistent and bleh, I don't know what I would have done.

But Mirai hasn't proven she would score higher.

Eclair

Medalist
If Ladies go as you say, and Rippon only beats Rizzo by one spot and S/S beating C/L again only by one spot (so either B/S beating S/S or C/L beating B/S), they would be tied

you're right ... so who would get the medal if the were ties?

Sensation

On the Ice
I hope Adam does well after all the pre-event attention.

Also looking forward to Alina's debut tonight.

ericka141

On the Ice

Agreed with the US dance teams. Hubbell/Donohue are the national champions and they don't get a chance to skate in the team event at all? They had a great FD at US nationals. I think either of the other 2 teams are JUST as capable of putting up a respectable score.

I don't like Bradie's skating, I think it is very juvenile but they used her because she's been consistent.

Overall, I think a LOT of the substitutions for the freeskates were done because the countries want to give more skaters chances at a medal. Which, ironically, could be what loses them their chance at a medal. Look at Canada- we ONLY substituted our women's skater and kept our strongest for all other disciplines and that might just be what gives us an edge over the other countries.

skatefan17

On the Ice
I really think it should have been Mirai short, Bradie long
but if Mirai hits everything amazingly, including her 3A.... that might be bye-bye to Kostner and even Daleman, perhaps even Sakamoto
I'm so torn

Is this a joke? Has any even remotely similar scenario happened all season? Wishful thinking.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

OMG, that's one heck of a suspense worthy to get up at 2am!!! :) :) :), I even listened today in Italian radio a short except about Italy team qualifying for the final, it would be a story of the Olympics without a doubt!

skatefan2018

Rinkside
Agreed with the US dance teams. Hubbell/Donohue are the national champions and they don't get a chance to skate in the team event at all? They had a great FD at US nationals. I think either of the other 2 teams are JUST as capable of putting up a respectable score.

I don't like Bradie's skating, I think it is very juvenile but they used her because she's been consistent.

Overall, I think a LOT of the substitutions for the freeskates were done because the countries want to give more skaters chances at a medal. Which, ironically, could be what loses them their chance at a medal. Look at Canada- we ONLY substituted our women's skater and kept our strongest for all other disciplines and that might just be what gives us an edge over the other countries.

The reality is that Nathan and some of the others consider their individual event a priority.

Yes, Bradie lacks in artistry, but the reality is that the US ladies are not consistent. It is an unfortunate reality.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Interestingly Dance is last if I'm reading the schedule right. That means V/M will be the last skaters on the ice. But no pressure guys.