2018 Pyeongchang Team Event- Points Table | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Pyeongchang Team Event- Points Table

lavoix

Match Penalty
They're limited to replacing entries in two disciplines between the team event SP/SD and FS/FD.

From the Qualification Procedures document:

In Sochi, Russia chose to use two Pairs (Volosozhar/Trankov and Stolbova/Klimov) and two Ice Dance (Bobrova/Soloviev and Ilinykh/Katsalapov). They could have optioned for Sotnikova to do a segment, but they'd have had to have Pairs or Dance do both segments.

So only 2 disciplines are allowed to use 2 athletes/pairs. Strange.

GF2445

Record Breaker
http://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Spor...-set-to-don-gloves-for-Winter-Olympics-514898

In some surprising and very disappointing news, Ilia Tkachenko's request for Israeli citizenship has been rejected. Even though Tobias and Tkachenko cannot compete at the Olympics, Israel has another eligible ice dance team whom they will send. Meaning that Israel will still be in line to compete in the Team Event at the Olympics.

I wish in these situations if a team pulled out, they would go for the alternate over the nation quota.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
http://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Spor...-set-to-don-gloves-for-Winter-Olympics-514898

In some surprising and very disappointing news, Ilia Tkachenko's request for Israeli citizenship has been rejected. Even though Tobias and Tkachenko cannot compete at the Olympics, Israel has another eligible ice dance team whom they will send. Meaning that Israel will still be in line to compete in the Team Event at the Olympics.

I wish in these situations if a team pulled out, they would go for the alternate over the nation quota.

not sure what you mean in your last sentence...
the spot was earned by Israel and they have a #2 eligible team... what if Sk/K who earned the spot for USA cannot compete for whatever reason, their spot should go to the 2nd best American team...

i would love for Australia to make it too.... but at the same time, we cannot just adapt the rules to make things happen...

and btw... Australia also is competitive largely due to a skater who just got citizenship... so in that case, if the roles were reversed??? should have the Australians lose their team berth because their top pair who earned them a spot would not be able to go??? (yea yea... they need to get another with tech minimums)...

anyways... i am just confused by your last sentence, so if you could clarify, maybe i am reading too much into it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*drooping sadly in a corner with limp green and gold streamers*

GF2445

Record Breaker

GF2445

Record Breaker
North Korea loses pairs quota...but...

North Korea lost its quota spot in pairs for missing the October 31 deadline to accept their quota spot for Kim and Ryom, however, qualification is still possible. The IOC will create an extra place for North Korean athletes if they want to come. The ISU will redistibute quota places on December 13th. If everything goes according to procedure, thr first Alternate Nation, Japan, would then have until December 21 to accept the quota.

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/11/29/north-korea-figure-skaters-olympics-pairs/amp/

This shall be reflected on the final standings table.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EHPb3Pikjli9ibybrTjSbmiJScvM7_t-KtT3OYNTMII/edit?usp=sharing

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
So Australia is in? Since Spain doesn't have enough disciplines?

No...

North Korea (potentially) lost its pairs spot. They never had a team spot to begin with.

South Korea has a Team Event slot (qualified Ladies at Worlds and Men/Dance at Nebelhorn) and will be able to use host country/Additional Athletes Quota spots to enter a pairs entry. Their pair will be able to compete in both the Team Event (since South Korea qualified through the normal process with at least 3 disciplines) and the regular Pairs event (since they can use a host pick as per their rights).

GF2445

Record Breaker
So Australia is in? Since Spain doesn't have enough disciplines?

At the moment, this doesnt change anything. I put this post here because of you click the link to the 'overall standings' table i made for the team event qualification, i also made a note of quota spots in each of the individual events as well. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EHPb3Pikjli9ibybrTjSbmiJScvM7_t-KtT3OYNTMII/edit?usp=sharing

It is likely that on the 13th December, when the ISU redistributes the quota spots, that the North Korean's pairs spot will go to The first alternate- Japan, meaning that Japan could have a pair in the individual event too. If Japan gets that quota spot, they will likely accept that quota.

So long story short- no it doesnt change the nations for the team event at this stage.

GF2445

Record Breaker
No...

North Korea (potentially) lost its pairs spot. They never had a team spot to begin with.

South Korea has a Team Event slot (qualified Ladies at Worlds and Men/Dance at Nebelhorn) and will be able to use host country/Additional Athletes Quota spots to enter a pairs entry. Their pair will be able to compete in both the Team Event (since South Korea qualified through the normal process with at least 3 disciplines) and the regular Pairs event (since they can use a host pick as per their rights).

Sorry for the confusion. the reason i posted here was that i made an additional table with the quota allocations next to my team event table. I just wanted to update that i made changes to the table. In the table, i have italicised North Korea's spot and highlighted it, whilst making a note on Japan.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EHPb3Pikjli9ibybrTjSbmiJScvM7_t-KtT3OYNTMII/edit?usp=sharing

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Sorry for the confusion. the reason i posted here was that i made an additional table with the quota allocations next to my team event table. I just wanted to update that i made changes to the table. In the table, i have italicised North Korea's spot and highlighted it, whilst making a note on Japan.

I had no confusion. I think Spirals For Miles just didn't read closely enough and confused North Korea (which never had a Team Event spot to begin with) with South Korea.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Yeah for some reason I put the gold in next to Australia in my mind. Whatever, I'm weird, I know, haha.
Ugh, I really do wish that Australia qualified.!!!!!

GF2445

Record Breaker
What happen if IOC bans Russia?

In the next few hours after this post is written, the IOC will deliver its decision as to whether or not The Russian Federation will be banned from competing at the upcoming Winter Olympics. Further questions of whether Russian Athletes will be able to participate in the 2018 Winter Olympics will be answered (and if so, under which flag? Russia or Olympic Flag).

Though something like the Figure Skating Team event is a very small discussion point in the entire issue, if the nation 'The Russian Federation' were to be banned from these Games, the dynamics of the figure skating event will be very different, as they were seen as the gold medal contender. I would love to see these Russian Skaters competing at these games, as they have contribted so much to the fabric of elite figure skating these last four years. However, Russia's situation and allegations of doping is bigger and beyond the sport of figure skating. I hope that the best decision will be made (as to what i think is best, I am yet to make my mind).

Below are three possible scenarios of what could happen regarding the Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Qualification if the Russian Federation were to be banned.

1- If both the 'Russian Federation' and 'Russian athletes' are to be given a total ban, with no possibility of participation, Russia will have all their quota spots reallocated, and they will be unable to particiapte in the team event. If this is case, after the ISU redistibutes its quota spots, Spain will find an Olympic berth in the Pairs event, and thus a team event qualification berth too.

2 and 3- The second and third scenarios stem from the question, "what happens if the 'Russian Federation' are banned, but an opportunity for athletes to compete under an independant flag is given?" If this is the case, we will see Russian skaters participating in the four disciplines with no reallocation of quota spots (this is not an 100% certain statement but what seems most logical). Then it becomes the question if an independant team, that is neither an NOC or an ISU, is able to compete in the figure skating team event. The likely answer is no, as an independant team under the Olympic flag is neither an NOC or an ISU member. However, I think that this scenario was not in the ISU's mind when creating the Olympic Qualification procedure, and the ISU will definitely have to reconvene to discuss these matters.

So in the hypothetical situation of Russia Federation being banned, yet Russian athletes can still participate as an independant group- what would likely happen is that Russia's quota spots will not be redistributed. This will then create the remaining two possible scenarios.

(Scenario 2) If an Independant body that is neither an NOC or an ISU member can participate as a team, the Russian athletes will compete in the team event, representing that Inderpendant body.
(Scenario 3) If an Independant body that is neither an NOC or an ISU member cannot participate in the team event, Australia, the first altenate nation, will participate in the team event.

Please share your thoughts below. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
if there is a partial ban = no flag, that means that Russian athletes wouldn't participate in relays in ski or speed skating right? so why would they participate in a team event? would they participate in other team sports like hockey?

i think that it should be the same everywhere... if teams are automatically disqualified, they should be all around....

also, i can understand why it's okay to let athletes participate under a neutral flag but making a team with them means that the state gets involved... and the state is the one supposed to be punished.

i couldn't care less if people will accuse me of being biased and pro-canadian... i am much more against doping in sport than a biased pro canada fan

ReasonOFF

On the Ice
in the men displine nathan chen easily will beat chan but in the others displines we can't compete with you

GF2445

Record Breaker
It will seem that either scenaios 2 or 3 will take place. I am still not sure whether or not Russia can participate though because they said that Russian Athletes, both individual and teams, can participate under the 'Athelete of Russia' flag.
Also, the suspension seems to be on the Russian Olympic Committee only.
However, 'OAR' is neither an NOC nor an ISU member- and the conditions specify that the members that participate are the top 10 NOC/ISU member nations. It seems that it will be up to the ISU to make a decision.

liberrhythm

On the Ice
Woke up to this news about Russia...it'd be a shame for the leading Russian skaters to not be able to participate

GF2445

Record Breaker
We will need to wait until the Russian President delivers his decision tomorrow tomsee what will happen. If Russia were to boycott these games, i would assume the quota spots will be redistibuted and from that, Scenario 1 wil take place.