2018 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2018 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I expect a lot of musical chairs in the results tomorrow except for Yuzu.

He's the class of the field with a 20 point lead and the magic of Pooh behind him!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I really don't know at this point...Now it begins to look like a huge unrealised potential he has irks people more than his in/out execution of his programs - the execution, pops, stepouts and jumping problems became already his kind of thing we expect from Mikhail and him lucking out when the field is not doing well - but how about making the logic the other way, to expect realizing his quality in action consistently, no matter what field does? I do wonder if he already accepted the fact he's headcasing his jumps, because his body looks ready while his entrances are getting longer and longer - he overthinks what he's doing on ice instead of just doing it. And his remorseful stare, expressionless and blank, at the end of such skate won't help.

He looks like to have the support, still, despite being in and out, but he does nothing to make the support worth it at this point. It just does not feel confident and top class seeing him, his uncertain approach towards his skating. No doubt he is talented, skilful, has lovely qualities, but when the full potential of all of this will be realized, giving him (and us) some satisfaction?

Maybe be just needs more time? Brezina has always been a super-nervous type of skater too, and seemed to give up on his programs after the first couple of mistakes, but now he seems to have calmed down a lot...

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Posted this Interview translation in the fan page, but it fits here too:
Sorry for all these posts guys, this one is the After SP interview this Shuzo
https://twitter.com/yuzu_pino/status/1063419445115215878
As always, send comment or pm me if I got something wrong.

S: He's here, well, it's a storm of feeling, Oda said as well, what do you think?
Y: Well, Somehow, the result can be called a No-miss performance, I think. So I'm a little relieved.
S: You are relieved, but there were no misses and in points this is a world record, in your heart, aren't you happy, I'm happy!
Y: Well, today, from the point of preparation, there were points of regret, like for the 6 minute warm up, or before that, how I spent time, there was a lot of uncertainty. But I feel relief that it was done.
S: After Finland you said you wanted a Perfect Package, I feel that with this Short program, you can lead towards it. What do you think?
Y: Well, this time, in myself, I can't say it's perfect. I'd like to reflect on those points and use them going forward to tomorrow.
S:Tomorrow is the Free, and it's Russia. Along with the Music, I feel you have strong thoughts on this, please tell us about it.
Y: First, I'd like to say that Tatiana Tarasova, who choreographed the program Otonal, which I admired, was watching today in the commentators area, and during my stepsequence, stood up, I have thankful feelings towards them, next, tomorrow, I want to do my best for Plushenko.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Maybe be just needs more time? Brezina has always been a super-nervous type of skater too, and seemed to give up on his programs after the first couple of mistakes, but now he seems to have calmed down a lot...

But Brezina doesn't have any domestic competition, nor does he risk being shamed into retirement by his federation.

I have this secret hope that when Misha is inevitably dethroned as Russian #1 (which could happen this year), he will have the motivation to stay in the game until he is 30 and then pull a Voronov and rise as a silver fox :devil: but I don't know if my darling little perfectionist has the patience for that, especially when he could start coaching right now if he wanted to

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
But Brezina doesn't have any domestic competition, nor does he risk being shamed into retirement by his federation.

Isn't it all the weirder then that this was all still true in the previous seasons when he had his biggest flops? He had nothing to fear, yet he typically underperformed at competitions widely viewed by his home crowd, like Europeans. My point is that no matter the reason, if hiring a sports psychologist doesn't work, there's still a chance that the mindset problem fixes itself in a few seasons as the skater matures. Maybe the same will happen for Mikhail. So far, Aliev', Erokhov's and Samarin's results haven't been stellar AFAIK, Kovtun's still a big question mark, and as for Voronov, I feel we should cherish his performances as I don't see him sticking around for much longer.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Poor Misha, I feel for him. To be so good and to repeatedly fail when the door is wide open. I have no doubt he feels immense pressure.

I mean Keegan failed too here but he seems to have fewer inconsistencies and generally take them better.

It would be interesting to see if either of them could still make the GPF.

Ulrica

On the Ice
Regarding Mikhail, I think it doesn't matter how hard we try, we'll just never be able to know how the the mind of a top athlete works. There a lot of factors that could be affecting him negatively, and at the end of the day all we can do is support him and hope for the best.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
I need some Ted Barton, positivity now.

I hardcore slept through my alarm deliberately because I had a series of nightmares about Keegan and Misha botching things. Also Boyang, despite him not being here. No matter how many times I told my sleeping self that this was not really happening, I'm now super glad I got freaked out and slept through the event. I'm way too down to the wire on fretting over who will make the GPF, I can't handle live skating anymore.

Danny T

Medalist
I used data real quick during training for 2:50 of Yuzuru (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) but haven't checked out anyone else yet.

Time to die, I guess. Here goes nothing :slink:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
No one loves Voronov. >.<

i do! a lot!

anyway, about the current competition...was there anyone beside hanyu?:biggrin:

Paul FENTZ: clean skate, beautiful 3A, still i don't understand his costume, was he in competition with messing?

Artur DMITRIEV: maximus decimus meridius coursed him and took revenge. you just can’t skate on the gladiator in a grey shirt, you can’t! 3lutz-3flip could have been huge if landed, shame.

Alexei KRASNOZHON: at least he improved from last time. i kind of like the guy :biggrin:

Morisi KVITELASHVILI: he skated the skate of his life! but who knows if he can also be consistent and medal

Mikhail KOLYADA: :cry:
Yuzuru HANYU: well it appears only hanyu can beat hanyu

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I have recorded this event on TV. Should I or should I not watch the whole Men SP? Or I watch only top3?

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I have recorded this event on TV. Should I or should I not watch the whole Men SP? Or I watch only top3?

Just the top 3. Or even better, just Yuzuru. If you're feeling generous I recommend watching Kazuki as well, he's in 4th.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

I am not sure to be honest, but today, after all this sadness I went back to Worlds 2016 - I feel that without this additional pressure, burden of 'first Russian man' carried he looked way more competition-ready and into performance than now, so maybe it is about pressure, time to get used to it, the pressure of position he is penciled in? The biggest thing visually aside of overthinking is a bit of absent face and going through motions I see in Mikhail these days - he seems skating, moving, but all factors are detached (or united in being non-descript). Maybe it is about growth, time and patience, but honestly I do not see it happening only by constant physical training, practice, but it is all about identifying and eliminating thing that makes the implosion.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Just the top 3. Or even better, just Yuzuru. If you're feeling generous I recommend watching Kazuki as well, he's in 4th.

Ok! I don't really like seeing Misha falling apart, so I think that would be wise.

Danny T

Medalist
Brief thoughts on the men's short, now that ladies' are over: (couldn't manage to see all cause for some reason not all were uploaded, and some not mentioned are probs cause I have nothing to say)

- Majorov: Jump landings were not the best (and his usual flexibility problem blabla) but boy, the uncle spirit really propelled him on his feet. Quite a redemptive skate from SCI, happy for him!

- Lazukin: yikes ... I heard he made Tuktuk sound upset on the commentary :sad21:

- Kazuki: Argh, I couldn't find a version of his SP with sound, but the skating itself looks wonderful. Another one with the redemptive skate from SCI, super happy.

- Dmitriev: 3Lz3F was again, cool (kinda ugly, but you gotta give respect where respect's due :cool14:). Rest of the skate didn't really go as he would want though. Good luck on the 4A in the free bro

- Morisi: The mimes are really not your thing, man (damn, now I appreciate Medvedeva's ability to mime nicely). The magic of Eteri stayed with him though, nice clean skate, heading into the free in second place. Great effort!

- Alexei Krasnozhon: aw, he's very ... angrily endearing (what is even English?). This short is clearly not his style, the arm movements weren't really natural I say, but I applaud him for trying something different. And that lipsync? +5 GOE. Another clean skate here, too!

- Misha: oh boy. My psych prof didn't exactly have the nicest impression of me in school, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he should seriously invest in a sports psychologist. He really has everything aside from landing the jump, the edgework, the posture, the jump technique, nice spin, good performer. Just. Could. Not. Believe. In. His. Jump. Ugh I hate this

- Yuzuru: well ... what to say? Gonna have to go with Yagudin here: I'm an atheist, but Yuzuru is the God of figure skating, and I believe in him ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Poor Misha: he's feeling the curse of being #1 Russian man. At least he has 100% more charisma than his predecessor (Kovtun, if you don't recall)

OTOH, it was nice to see Morisi Kvitelashvili find his jumps---he's been looking for them for months.

Yuzu, as Yuzual, was superb.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Having Kolyada and Hanyu skate back to back was wrenching in a way I didn’t expect. To be honest, I’ve liked Misha for a long, long time, but this was the first time my heart broke. And seeing his skate juxtaposed with Yuzu’s made me realize why: they both have the talent and the ability, but the sad truth is this that isn’t enough. I’ve written about the competitive mindset before, and Yuzu is a classic case of that with the knobs turned to eleven — and yet he’s managed to mix it with an absolutely pure love of skating and performing, so that you can forget he’s collecting points when he’s on the ice and that he’s given up so much (of himself) for this. Misha... reminds me of a Chinese saying a friend used to describe me: you have the right circumstances but not the right fate.

And it’s heartbreaking, because even with that godawful Elvis routine, you could see the raw talent Misha has, but that’s not what wins. It’s why Yuzu’s “Effort lies but is never in vain” is such a gut punch: life just isn’t fair like that. And to see someone with Misha’s abilities be unable to bring it together enough to win... it’s heartbreaking, yes, but it also forced me to remember just how few competitors in any discipline have that mental fortitude.

What makes Yuzu great isn’t just the technical and artistic prowess but his ability to consistently deliver amazing skates. (Which is even more amazing when you consider everything in his backstory, the asthma, etc.) That Misha started the season so strong only to have two disaster events — isn’t it almost more remarkable he was able to deliver at all? What all of these guys live with is enough to break a person. And Misha’s face after his skate... I know that look — it’s the one I had when the imaginary Greek chorus in my head began singing its usual dirge (you’re no good, you’re no good, you’re no good, can’t you tell that it’s well understood?) while wearing the faces of friends and faculty. And my heart broke, because there is nothing anyone can say to Misha that he doesn’t already know, and telling him how talented he naturally is probably hurts even more, since what good is talent if you can’t produce? I tortured myself with those questions for far too many years, which were inextricably linked to my decade with anorexia, and in the end, I opted out rather than waste more time in misery. And part of me still wonders if it wouldn’t have been worth it to forge ahead anyway, even if I burnt myself alive in the process, just to see what I would have ultimately been capable of. Sometimes I wonder if Misha isn’t constantly asking and answering that same question.

I don’t know what Misha’s exact problem is — a bad day, nerves, etc. — and he certainly was set up to fail last season. But I hope he has a lights out skate for himself if no one else, and that if the reaction is “omg Misha got it together?” it’s less to do with him and more to do with just what an achievement it is to have even a handful of amazing skates. Maybe Yuzu makes it look too easy.

To be honest, I felt Yuzu’s performance more in Helsinki — the sense of nostalgia and being taken into a moment was more present there than here. But the WR was hard-earned and deserved. The one-foot Axel in the step sequence was done with such glorious abandon, and Yuzu’s smile... even for a less emotional performance, it was still plenty emotional. [emoji23] But somehow he makes it work. For me, it’s just the unvarnished, simple joy he displays when skating — his superhuman talents are a happy accident. As is the fact that the best skater is also the one best able to keep his nerves under control, when it so often goes the other way.

Somehow, it all makes me sadder for Misha, as I just want him to find whatever it is that makes the failure, the injuries, the grueling pain of skating worth it and bring us into that moment. He was able to do it in his short at WC18. He may well be able to do it again. But... man, I just want to give him a hug and be that friend who sits with you in silence because you need to be not-entirely-alone when alone. And I’m still thrilled for Yuzu! Just... mixed emotions all over the place today. What a crazy Cup of Disaster II we’re having.