2018 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2018 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If this is what Yuzuru meant by "skating to please myself", maybe they should all give it a go. That was sublime and the fifth time he has scored over 110 when no one else has even done it once. But just enough tiny (but unacceptable to Mister Hanyu) flaws to reassure us that yes, he is human (well, maybe) and to keep him on fire to do better next time...

And I'm still smiling over Kazuki, but feeling for Keegan and Mikhail. Will hope they and the other guys who splatted will do better in the free. I do think Keegan has steadier nerves than most (could be wrong) so he may pull up. But I would love Kazuki to keep - or better - his 4th place, so.....

I don't know!!!

The lineup for the GPF is looking more and more interesting.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And I'm still smiling over Kazuki, but feeling for Keegan and Mikhail. Will hope they and the other guys who splatted will do better in the free. I do think Keegan has steadier nerves than most (could be wrong) so he may pull up. But I would love Kazuki to keep - or better - his 4th place, so.....
I'm predicting Kazuki for bronze right now. Majorov, frankly, I have a hard time imagining not dropping down the ordinals a few places; I don't think he'll be able to keep it competitive in the free.

Assuming Keegan can have a half-decent skate, I don't think getting to fourth place is particularly implausible for him, looking at some of the people he'd need to leapfrog to do that. That's the benefit of banking a silver medal at your first event.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
OMG! Yes, Yuzuru was fantastic but what struck me like a thunder was Artur Dimitriev's combination. I still don't understand how is it possible to jump 3Lz3F.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Tbh I was lukewarm on the Otonal stsq before, but I'm sold after today's performance. Go Yuzuru!!

(Other men: ... please do better in the free :()

LadyB

Record Breaker
I must admit, seeing Yuzu live for the first time is special. This guy is something else. However, Morisi made me really happy! So much fun to watch! While my heart breaks for Misha, I still reckon the Fed should acknowledge the power that is Sergei Voronov!
Shame, Andrei Lazukin hasn't got his girlfriend's power at the moment.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
OMG! Yes, Yuzuru was fantastic but what struck me like a thunder was Artur Dimitriev's combination. I still don't understand how is it possible to jump 3Lz3F.

It’s actually not that great a trick, as landing the 3Lz forces a landing on the wrong edge, which is a mandatory negative GOE bullet (offset against any positive ones). Not sure what the point of including it in the short is — if you want to style in the free, sure, but you’re better off locking up every point you possibly can in the short.

pesto

On the Ice
Assuming Keegan can have a half-decent skate, I don't think getting to fourth place is particularly implausible for him, looking at some of the people he'd need to leapfrog to do that. That's the benefit of banking a silver medal at your first event.

Not implausible for him to do even better than that. He got 170 in Skate Canada with a fall. He's 16 points behind Kvitelashvili, with a SB of 154, and 9 points behind Majorov with a SB of 148. Tomono has a SB of 141.

Likewise Kolyada has a SB of 177, but I think the probability of him going arse over tit is substantially higher.

I hope for a splat-free free all round, but experience doesn't lead me to expect it.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
This season, Yuzu seems to be getting around to unfinished business. His career has been brilliant, but his wins have been the big ones first. -like Olympic win before Worlds Win, GPF wins before first GP wins. --And he still has that pesky 4CC win that's eluded him.
Can he catch them all -like pokemon? ;)

Kolyada... Well, this season I've learned to never count a skater out. If they love the sport and keep at it, they can figure it out...but it may take more time than Fans want to wait around for. So it has to be for love of the sport, and they have to ignore the criticisms and opinions from the outside and concentrate on themselves. I hope Kolyada can find what ever it is that is missing.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
It’s actually not that great a trick, as landing the 3Lz forces a landing on the wrong edge, which is a mandatory negative GOE bullet (offset against any positive ones). Not sure what the point of including it in the short is — if you want to style in the free, sure, but you’re better off locking up every point you possibly can in the short.

The EuroSport guys said that you need to land the Lz on the other leg (it makes no sense for me, as changing the foot gives a different jump). Anyway landing uses the outside edge and flip inside, but about which leg is used to land or for the starting of the Flip. Normally the Flip can be done after an Euler, but that's not possible in the SP. Still the combination exists and is highly rewarded.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
The EuroSport guys said that you need to land the Lz on the other leg (it makes no sense for me, as changing the foot gives a different jump). Anyway landing uses the outside edge and flip inside, but about which leg is used to land or for the starting of the Flip. Normally the Flip can be done after an Euler, but that's not possible in the SP. Still the combination exists and is highly rewarded.

Eurosport got it right, albeit they didn’t clearly explain. He’s not landing the Lutz normally. He’s landing it on the left leg, not the right, and on an inside edge instead of a back outside edge. (Which is a lot of stress on the non-landing leg, incidentally.) If he didn’t land the Lutz on the wrong leg and on the wrong edge, he wouldn’t be able to put the flip in combination — the Euler/half-loop takes off from the back outside edge and lands on the opposite inside edge, which is why the flip and Salchow can be linked after a Euler in a three-jump combination.

The problem is that the negative GOE scale contains a bullet for “Weak landing (bad pos./wrong edge/scratchy),” which is worth a -1 to -3 deduction from total GOE. As neat as the combination is, it’s technically a poor landing due to the fact that the Lutz should be landed on the right back outside edge and not the left inside. He could still earn positive GOE with enough positive feature bullets (depending on whether the judges go -1 or -3), but he can’t earn the same positive GOE on that combo as a 3Lz-3T/3Lo.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
(Creeping back in first time today since conclusion of mens’s sp, watching out for ladies sp spoilers — whew, so far so good lol)

Everything in how I feel has pretty much been expressed —

Yuzuru :love: :clap:

Mikhail :cry:

I guess it’s good I was so swamped at work today that I had no time to think about Mikhail’s performance....

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just finished watching the event, really enjoyed the performances of the top 6! Felt badly for Keegan, it may be cheesy, but I like his short program.

Also really surprised that Russia has no skaters in the top 6! Perhaps the pressure of skating in front of a home crowd was a lot for them to handle?

*looks over*

Geez, let me go change that foot avatar back to my picture! LOL

century2009

On the Ice
I don't know what was worst -- this or last week's mess. I pray today will be better, and next week in France.

This have not been a fun watch for the past few weeks of men's GP. We know the top 3 guys will usually perform, but what is happening to everyone else.

I am more disappointed in Mikhail. He is a very talented skater and can compete up there with Shoma, Nathan, and Hanyu. And was hoping, we can mix things up at the Top, but it looks like the Top 3 guys will continue to just compete with each other while everyone else watch. This will make the GPF exciting (mind you if Nathan gets any medal and makes it, which most likely will happen). Because these top 3 guys have no competition in their GP event. It is like they are skating and competing with only themselves.

It really feels, it is in Mikhail's head. He does not have the mental strength to compete. It feels like he just gives up easily and lets it get to him. There is an internal struggle with him and so disappointing to see him like this when he really can do it. If only he has the willpower.

Sad about Keegan as well.

If Keegan does not make it to the GPF in Vancouver, it is because of him. This is a huge opportunity for him, and he is slowly letting it go.

I really don't understand what is happening to everyone else.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada

I saw it on a video when he was practicing it.itvwas much cleaner in the video I saw than today. I legit had to watch it about 20x to grasp it lol. I think the BV is a bit low on such a unique and difficult jump just over 11 for the combo. I also don’t think it looks aesthetically pleasing either lol. I’m not sure where I stand on it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hanyu was amazing and that was it. Keegan is in big trouble and Mikhail - oh my. Disaster. There is the freesate but really not great.

I wish people would stop treating Yuzuru like a God. It is almost scare how people worship him. Yes, he is a great skater but he hasn't solved cancer or famine or brought world peace (I know someone might disagree lol). Yes he is in a class of his own but let's not deify him.

Danny T

Medalist
I wish people would stop treating Yuzuru like a God. It is almost scare how people worship him. Yes, he is a great skater but he hasn't solved cancer or famine or brought world peace (I know someone might disagree lol). Yes he is in a class of his own but let's not deify him.

It's just an expression bruh, not the Nobel Prize of Peace :unsure:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Besides Hanyu´s awesome performance I really liked the skating of Tomono, too!!!

My guess is that the sp podium is no lock (except Hanuy of course) for the freeskate, lots can happen and often will, LOL. Tomono has a good start number to attack, hopefully he will be able to avoid hearing Kolyada´s scores (in case he happens to perform better in the freeskate).