2018 Russian Nationals Ladies FS | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian Nationals Ladies FS

FSGMT

Record Breaker
There was no a season for Pogo where she delivered only at the Nationals. For her the pattern was that she either would start great, or end great. That season you are talking about she got a medal at the Worlds. In all her active years she had more clean competitions than failed competitions, and especially in the last season everything she became one of the most consistent skaters until the Worlds. It is just her falls - they are so bad that one remembers them the most.
Yes, it's important to notice that last season all of Anna's competitions were really really good just as her SP at Worlds: the only bombed program was the most important one. Which is so so sad (just like Gold the season before)

russianfan

Match Penalty
I’m mostly perplexed because when I first started posting in her fan fest I was told that I should spell her first name as Alyona but no one seems to be doing it but me :laugh:

its complicated :biggrin:

tbh for me as a Russian, transliterated “Alyona” looks very weird visually, because it’s like Алуона. But hey, how about Aliona? :biggrin:

NicolettaL

Final Flight
So you tell me that none of the syllables in Kostornaya are emphasized or that the last one is here so it stays either way (would be strange) - I've heard Kas-tar-na-ya. I am well aware of the fact concerning Russian "o" changing into "a" but I still find it perplexing sometimes.

Nope in Kostornaya accent goes on an a before ya, so by russian fonetic rules it's Kastarnaya cause every o without accent on it becomes an a :)

NicolettaL

Final Flight
its complicated :biggrin:

tbh for me as a Russian, transliterated “Alyona” loitoks very weird visually, because it’s like Алуона. But hey, how about Aliona? :biggrin:

I still wonder how it becomes Alena and not Aliona in english since the second version is the closest one to the original.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I still wonder how it becomes Alena and not Aliona in english since the second version is the closest one to the original.
Simply because Americans cant understand letters with umlauts can be treated as entirely different letters.

It would almost be like if Yulia Lipnitskaya became Alia Lipnitskaya, as an example. Ye, yo, yu, ya etc., same set of symbols.

The worst example of this nonsense is swedish å being transliterated as a, when it is just simply an o and o only. Almost as bad is the ae letter that just is ä written differently, actually split into a and e even though it has no hint of an e sound.

Like in Finnish with a and ä, I am sure Russians can understand when to say ye amd when yo, but for transliteration as pronunciation guide for people completely unfamiliar with the language, it is a terrible idea. And really, while I am sure she is used to it by now, I still find it quite disrespectful to not pronounce names properly.

Yes, with sounds that dont really exist in the language like Shch vs Sh I understand, but when you can make all the sounds, at least make an effort...

The only sound I have found to be just impossible to get right is the korean HH I believe.

Sorry for the lengthy rant. -. It is an important topic to me. Especially for a name as beautiful as Aliona.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Problem is, Aliona pronounciated longer than Алёна. Afaik, there isn't soft L in English and letter I in Aliona actually is not pronounciated at all and just there to fix at least to some degree unavoidable L's incorrect pronounciation. More close it would sounds like Alona but with soft L nonexistant in English. Tricky name for westerners indeed :biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Simply because Americans cant understand letters with umlauts can be treated as entirely different letters.

It would almost be like if Yulia Lipnitskaya became Alia Lipnitskaya, as an example. Ye, yo, yu, ya etc., same set of symbols.

The worst example of this nonsense is swedish å being transliterated as a, when it is just simply an o and o only. Almost as bad is the ae letter that just is ä written differently, actually split into a and e even though it has no hint of an e sound.

Like in Finnish with a and ä, I am sure Russians can understand when to say ye amd when yo, but for transliteration as pronunciation guide for people completely unfamiliar with the language, it is a terrible idea. And really, while I am sure she is used to it by now, I still find it quite disrespectful to not pronounce names properly.

Yes, with sounds that dont really exist in the language like Shch vs Sh I understand, but when you can make all the sounds, at least make an effort...

The only sound I have found to be just impossible to get right is the korean HH I believe.

Sorry for the lengthy rant. -. It is an important topic to me. Especially for a name as beautiful as Aliona.

Umm. Surprisingly enough, some of us dumb Americans do in fact understand how to pronounce ö, ü, etc., correctly. But not everyone studies the same foreign languages, and fewer still have the kind of ear that allows them to flawlessly reproduce sounds that don’t exist in their native tongue.

For those who would like help with foreign pronunciation:

https://www.nameshouts.com//names/russian/pronounce-alyena

https://forvo.com/

http://www.internationalphoneticalphabet.org/

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Problem is, Aliona pronounciated longer than Алёна. Afaik, there isn't soft L in English and letter I in Aliona actually is not pronounciated at all and just there to fix at least to some degree unavoidable L's incorrect pronounciation. More close it would sounds like Alona but with soft L nonexistant in English. Tricky name for westerners indeed :biggrin:

I really appreciate the discussion and everyone's input has been really interesting on this topic to say the least but I'm not certain what to do and I'm half tempted to just start typing Alyena :giveup:

russianfan

Match Penalty
I really appreciate the discussion and everyone's input has been really interesting on this topic to say the least but I'm not certain what to do and I'm half tempted to just start typing Alyena :giveup:

i think any version will be understandable for people, just don't type it as Alina :biggrin:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Alyona seems to be the right spelling as "yo" is pronounced the same way as in yogurt. On the second thought, not exactly.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Re: Pronunciation thread. I still remember how announcer at 2016 Worlds pronounced Zhenya's surname as "Medvedyava" with strong YA. Jeez I know that speaking all languages in the world is hard (personally I have no talent and the only reason I speak English is compulsory exam after high school) but at least commentators should check now to pronounce names of skaters. Doing it takes less than 5 minutes in 90% of cases.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
with soft L nonexistant in English.
That's it - they have no letter or symbol to make another one just softer. One more note - ё in her name sounds like vowel in the word "girl" but we hardly can transfer ir from one case to another, it's very case sensitive.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

And I was actually told before that it's Aljona :laugh:
(which is why I'm going back to calling her Kosto. Sounds cute to me anyway :biggrin: )