2022 Russian Junior Nationals - Junior Women's FS | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2022 Russian Junior Nationals - Junior Women's FS

Fluture

Record Breaker
Everyone? There were quite numerous supporters of that, just loon into post nationals "thoughts" thread, not to mention the insane level of hate aimed at Anna, in fact so high that even Daniel Grassl defended her (and it's not like this forum was free of it).
So, what is it that changed then? You were vehemently against a skate-off between Anna and Liza (rightly so, imo) but are suddenly for one between Sofia and Adeliia? Why? The circumstances are pretty much the same.

Anna has continuously scored higher than Liza and beaten her at their main head to head qualifying competition. Well, Sofia, too, has the higher international SB and has directly won against Adeliia more than once this season. So, what is it exactly that separates the two cases in your mind and makes a shoot-out necessary between one but not the other?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
That's, well, interesting point of view 🌗🤴👸
Yeah, I was like "Hmmm.....". I don't see this seemingly obvious superiority in presentation and elegance from AOP in Zinina and Zhilina.... and Muraviëva has potential but she is a very busy and rushed skater choreographically. I'm not seeing it either to have justified that comment about AOP. But it takes diff'rent strokes to move the world, yes it does.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Yeah, I was like "Hmmm.....". I don't see this seemingly obvious superiority in presentation and elegance from AOP in Zinina and Zhilina.... and Muraviëva has potential but she is a very busy and rushed skater choreographically. I'm not seeing it either to have justified that comment about AOP. But it takes diff'rent strokes to move the world, yes it does.
I see a big presentation/beauty/elegance potential in Zinina, Mostly wasted so far.

krispy

Rinkside
Things are really getting awful when it comes to bashing these young girls in Russia. Muravieva received the worst of the bashing with bots attacking even her looks. I don't know why they are so surprised when Muravieva received the highest PCS when internationally she had the strongest PCS marks of all the Russian girls with a 5 point gap between her and Petrosyan. If Plushenko cares at all about his athletes he and his wife should just shut up and not fan the flames.

But what's surprised me is that even Samodelkina has been attacked too, causing her to closie her instagram account.

princecharming

Rinkside
I think you should look at Eteri's copy+paste choreography for her skaters more closely, or the bad music choices.

skatespin

On the Ice
Watched the entire ladies competition late....

Here's my thoughts:

Sofia M had by far the best PCS here. The music, the cuts, the dress and choreography were tasteful and suited her well. She is a joy to watch, she doesn't just do choreography she performs it. She also has respectable tech but needs to work on consistency. If so she could be like Aliona K in 2019-2020, able to compete with girls at the top doing quads. Either way I am excited to see what she can do when she is older. Sofia A on the technical side is strong, the performance leaves something to be desired, she still was the deserving winner in this current judging system. If she was old enough to compete at the 2022 Olympics she would probably win a medal. I have doubts over if she will remain in similar form until 2026 and be able to make it out of Russia.

Some of the girls here were packaged poorly in terms of music choice/cuts and PCS. I forget the names but the Eteri student with the Chicago program (music was inappropriate for a girl of her age, the choreography didn't match the actual music, and she had zero connection to it) comes to mind as well as their other student who looked really young (forget her name, she scored like 189). It clearly came across that these girls were much lower priority in their camp.

Sofia Titova made some mistakes but looks promising, she was packaged decently and tries to perform. This was the first time I've watched her compete I think. She skates with a lot of power despite looking so small. Her jump technique looks like it could hold up. I think next year she could be more of a factor in juniors.

Veronika Z has a lot of jumping talent but seems to have a habit of bombing at her most important competition (jr nationals). Her packaging/PCS also isn't helping her. When the jumps don't work there is nothing there to hold up her score. Also, most of those quads didn't even look close today, her falls looked very bad. Is she injured? I am curious to know how she was doing them in recent practice. I am not sure why she didn't just do all triples (which she can do pretty easily). I've heard her mother is pretty involved in coaching her and I can't help but wonder if that had something to do with the decision to go for 3 quads as well as her overall inconsistent results. She needs to do another season in juniors, hopefully next year she can find more consistently and try to work more on achieving better PCS.

Sofia S clearly has jumping talent. I think she (and the other two Sofias) deserves to go to jr worlds but someone of her caliber deserves better programs and she needs to work on her PCS and spins.

Adelia P is likable no doubt, she brings drama to her performance. Her jump technique leaves something to be desired and her quads didn't work here. Her programs are fine, but very standard from her camp, nothing we haven't seen before. Looking at the season as a whole Sofia M and Sofia S are ahead of her. Given that I just don't see the point of having a skate off at RCF. Not to mention it is really close in time to JW. However, I never underestimate the power of skating politics so I won't count out the possibility of a potential skate-off similar to how Med replaced Tuk at Worlds.

Last edited:

princecharming

Rinkside
If you're gonna push 2 skaters to have another skate off, you need to invite the other juniors that had a decent shot to skate it off. Who is to say Zhilina won't be in a better shape in a month's time?

Hence, they should just leave the selection the way it is.

skatespin

On the Ice
If you're gonna push 2 skaters to have another skate off, you need to invite the other juniors that had a decent shot to skate it off. Who is to say Zhilina won't be in a better shape in a month's time?

Hence, they should just leave the selection the way it is.
Yeah I agree with this sentiment