2022 Russian Junior Nationals: Junior Women's SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2022 Russian Junior Nationals: Junior Women's SP

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Would Sinitsyna or Khromykh be at risk of losing spots, since their results this season have been OK but not great, or am I overestimating the cutthroatness of the Russian ladies' field? :scratch2:
Sinitsyna is unlikely to get a spot considering her results. Too many skaters ahead of her. Khromykh should get spots.
Just as a little overview of how GP assignments happen (or are supposed to happen) as by the rules of the ISU (these are of this season's GP, but they largely stay the same each season):

2 GP assignments guaranteed: Placing in the top 12 at the ISU World Championships 2022
1 GP assignment guaranteed: Top 24 in the ISU World Standings, Top 24 in Seasons best scores
Preference in the selection process: "Come-Back" Skaters, "Return" skaters, medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2022

Everything else seems to be left up to the federations and is somewhat shrouded in mystery...😅
RusFed can simply not submit a name of an eligible skater, particularly if there are more that 9 that fill these criteria, and then the skater won't get any spots. They have done this before.

katymay

Medalist
Yes, retirements. Somehow I have a feeling we won't see Kostornaia next season, even though she has said she will continue.
I don't think she will either. The problem is so many girls with quads now, Even if she recovers the 3A, I don't think she can be competitive. Ditto Uscheva. I wonder if Anna will also semi retire-in order to pursue other things-college goals etc.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Sinitsyna is unlikely to get a spot considering her results. Too many skaters ahead of her. Khromykh should get spots.

RusFed can simply not submit a name of an eligible skater, particularly if there are more that 9 that fill these criteria, and then the skater won't get any spots. They have done this before.
Yes, there were too many Russians back in 2019 in the top SB24, so RusFed didn't submit Tarusina and Gubanova. Strangely, RusFed seemed to prioritize the WS list where Sotskova was in the top 24 because of old merits, but she was only 43rd on the SB list. Sotskova got a GP spot but Gubanova and Tarusina didn't. Gubanova was even part of the National Team at the time while Sotskova wasn't.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Yes, there were too many Russians back in 2019 in the top SB24, so RusFed didn't submit Tarusina and Gubanova. Strangely, RusFed seemed to prioritize the WS list where Sotskova was in the top 24 because of old merits, but she was only 43rd on the SB list. Sotskova got a GP spot but Gubanova and Tarusina didn't. Gubanova was even part of the National Team at the time while Sotskova wasn't.
Didn't Tarusina have knee surgery prior to the 2019-20 season? She withdrew from Junior test skates and retired nearly a month before the first GP event even took place. Very possible the Russian Federation was aware of this when they crossed her off the lists.
So they would have only passed over Gubanova - for whatever unknown reason.
But you know who received two GP assignments? Stanislava Konstantinova, who placed lower than Maria Sotskova in World Standing and lower than Gubanova in Season's best. Why? Likely because she placed 4th at Nationals.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Therein lies the problem with Canadian women/ladies/girls. Canada waits til 12/13 to teach even triple jumps, nevermind quads, while Russia has a 9 y/o Elena Kostyleva who skates like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXh48g1eUH4&t=80s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJST7ASgkzE so no wonder the Canadians are in such a mess....
How about the lack of funding for sports in general in Canada? Also, even in major cities, rinks close for the summer, so unless you are part of an expensive club, it's hard to train year round. And you have to be a pretty elite athlete in Canada to be home schooled--education is valued and skaters train around school hours--this is not an issue in Russia as far as I can see.