2022 Russian Junior Nationals: Junior Women's SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2022 Russian Junior Nationals: Junior Women's SP

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
1. - I'd go for Akateva, but it feels like she hasn't competed in like...forever.

2. - Then I think Samodelkina will break the curse of coming 4th all the time.

3. - Muravieva. I have a sixth sense 🔮 that Petrosian won't make the podium this time.
Oh… I just was so impressed with everyone at the senior Nats… i dunno. I want them all to podium. 🥺

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I do remember reading somewhere that in Canada they don't teach triple jumps until the skater is 12 or 13 - like it was actually against the rules for coaches to do it. Not sure if that's still the case, or if it was maybe in the US? Either way over in Russia they start teaching triples (and quads!) much younger.

There's debate on the safety of that...the current Junior Russians will be a bit of a test case.

Although Mishin was of the opinion that it was a good idea to teach young skaters their triples because even if they lose them - due to puberty or growing tall quickly - it's easier to get them back when every settles down.
Therein lies the problem with Canadian women/ladies/girls. Canada waits til 12/13 to teach even triple jumps, nevermind quads, while Russia has a 9 y/o Elena Kostyleva who skates like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXh48g1eUH4&t=80s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJST7ASgkzE so no wonder the Canadians are in such a mess....

Tyranid

Final Flight
I love how Channel 1 uses Elena Radionova's stunning legs to make their Youtube stream thumbnail more attractive, but doesn't invite her to do any FS commentary/media work. For example, have her take Mamun's (relevant to FS how??) spot as interviewer. Wait, what am I doing asking for decency from Russian state-owned TV channels. :laugh::devil:

GL to everyone. I hope non Tutberidze skaters put up a good fight with her students.

Especially:
https://url1/url2/src/15688/163532.jpg
Sofia Samodelkina. 👍

katymay

Medalist
Only one girl grom the JGPs (who automatically q to junior nats) competed in the cup events. Maria Zakharova.

That was unlucky for Sofia Vazhnova. If Maria wasn't there, Sofia V would have q to junior nats before Sofia Zakharova, and then Sofia Z would have been the substitute for Berestovskaya instead of Shiryaeva.

Besides Vazhnova, there were some great skaters knocked out from the cup events. Latushkina, Nelyubova, Paramonova, Dmitrieva to name a few.
As I watched the RC's it was sickening the girls that didn't make it. ALL of whom would be big stars in another country,almost all of which had a higher tech value than our entire field of Nationals senior ladies. I loved Sofia Vazhnova in particular. As far as tech, I believe there are 8 girls with a 3A, and I expect them to all attempt it in the short program-I don't see as they have a choice. Then in the FS there will be quads a plenty.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
As far as tech, I believe there are 8 girls with a 3A, and I expect them to all attempt it in the short program-I don't see as they have a choice. Then in the FS there will be quads a plenty.
I don't think most girls with 3As will go for one in the Short - Junior Women aren't allowed to do solo 3As and thus have to do them in combination. A lot of risk for fairly little reward (2A 3F 3Lz+3Tx to 3A+3T 2A 3Fx only gains 1.62 points in BV - falling on the 3A loses 9.20 points including deductions), so it's only really a valid option if a) your 3A is very stable b) you have nothing to lose (because your BV is comparatively low and you need every point OR so high in the Free that you can afford to lose points in the Short), or c) both.

Akatieva falls under these "criteria" - But who else does?🤔

katymay

Medalist
I don't think most girls with 3As will go for one in the Short - Junior Women aren't allowed to do solo 3As and thus have to do them in combination. A lot of risk for fairly little reward (2A 3F 3Lz+3Tx to 3A+3T 2A 3Fx only gains 1.62 points in BV - falling on the 3A loses 9.20 points including deductions), so it's only really a valid option if a) your 3A is very stable b) you have nothing to lose (because your BV is comparatively low and you need every point OR so high in the Free that you can afford to lose points in the Short), or c) both.

Akatieva falls under these "criteria" - But who else does?🤔
I forgot that, you are right. Titova, Akatieva, Samodelkina do the 3A-3T. We should have bets not on who will medal, but how many quads will be done, how many 3A's will be landed etc.