2018 Skate America Pairs Short Program | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate America Pairs Short Program

Sabrina

Record Breaker
My NBC feed started out crisp and sharp, but last few skates have been so blurry that I can even read the scores in the box...is it just me?
CBC stream lost focus a few times in the end too. It must be from the source...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
*violently pushes pins into the voodoo doll I made of your VPN*

:ddevil:

I have no substance to add to this thread, I missed everything but T/M in the kiss and cry. Off to men’s I go.

Hi girl!!! :ghug:, hope all is good and shiny in SarahLand:)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think that Minerva/Nolan showed today that sticking to what you know and to make it as solid as you can pays off, putting it in some perspective to Knierims - it was pretty cheesy and bland program, but very well executed and performed on their behalf, I like the feel of solidity and confidence in what they have showing from the performance, in opposite to Alexa and Chris. The biggest problem I had with them today was not even a fluke fall or botched sbs - the worrying thing is the lack of confidence in what they are doing for me, everything is just very cautious; I understand though that this is a new chapter from them with all the changes and it has to take some time to sharpen things. At this point, the program definitely looks better that skaters performing it...And Germans are on medal position they have chance to keep - a nice surprise, but I think deserved.

A solid one from Efimova/Korovin, they need more spark as a pair and polish around elements, but I like them in this program. Shame about that sbs from Ashley and Tim, definitely my favourite SP of the event, actually sourcing from their best qualities and feeling unforced, with enjoyment on their part.

To be honest, for me Evgenia and Vladimir could do this choreo to any other song, very little connection to the piece and more going through the motions and music than focusing on performing to the song. Yes, Vladimir seemed more 'into' the moment this time, the elements were okay for the most part, costumes were MUCH better that Finlandia, but for me there is still lacklustre feeling about the whole thing. The song is very characterial, with energy and power that actually overpowers their skating and performance capabilities in my opinion; listening to it and seeing the choreo, skate to it, it just begs for more energy, sass, expression, playfulness.

It's James Brown. You have to have a BIG personality to compete with Mr Brown at his most Hardest Working Man in Show Biz moments. Total mismatch of a program/pair.

There's tons of fun songs out there that 1. aren't war horses and 2. aren't iconic funk/RnB performances.

newyn

On the Ice
Watching live I feel like Cain and Leduc’s scores were lower than they should have been. I’ll be curious to see protocols and PCS.

And Tarasova flies- it’s really spectacular in person.

It is!

gioccia

On the Ice
Very generous scoring for everyone... but it's early in the season, new scoring system... so the judges are trying to adjust I guess. The American teams' programs were great, so were the costumes. The Russians were very broing and mediocre for their level, goals and abilities. TM should change the SP and the coach ASAP. They have never been that bad...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's James Brown. You have to have a BIG personality to compete with Mr Brown at his most Hardest Working Man in Show Biz moments. Total mismatch of a program/pair.

There's tons of fun songs out there that 1. aren't war horses and 2. aren't iconic funk/RnB performances.
:thumbsup:

Elladj Baldé can do James Brown.

These two, with all their talent, cannot.

gold12345

Medalist
Watching live I feel like Cain and Leduc’s scores were lower than they should have been. I’ll be curious to see protocols and PCS.

With Tim's jump fall, Ashley's underrotation, the low landing and stepout on the throw, the twist that was Level 1 because of the rough catch and landed on two feet, the labored lift, all those things definitely add up.

And Tarasova flies- it’s really spectacular in person.

Yes.

Very generous scoring for everyone... but it's early in the season, new scoring system... so the judges are trying to adjust I guess. The American teams' programs were great, so were the costumes. The Russians were very broing and mediocre for their level, goals and abilities. TM should change the SP and the coach ASAP. They have never been that bad...

I didn't see many generous scores. It was a low scoring event. 62 points which isn't anything great is in 2nd place. Really, even with the troubles, if the Knierims hadn't messed up their step sequence, they might have enough points for 2nd place right now.

Speaking of the Knierims, Alexa, especially, looked tentative and not fully confident in herself. Aside from all of the changes they are adjusting to, I imagine that Aljona's presence helps keep Alexa calm, and without here there (or anyone else to step in) it's a bit hard on Alexa. I know their choreographer is there, but it's not the same.

waxel

Final Flight
With Tim's jump fall, Ashley's underrotation, the low landing and stepout on the throw, the twist that was Level 1 because of the rough catch and landed on two feet, the labored lift, all those things definitely add up.

Yes.

I didn't see many generous scores. It was a low scoring event. 62 points which isn't anything great is in 2nd place. Really, even with the troubles, if the Knierims hadn't messed up their step sequence, they might have enough points for 2nd place right now.

Speaking of the Knierims, Alexa, especially, looked tentative and not fully confident in herself. Aside from all of the changes they are adjusting to, I imagine that Aljona's presence helps keep Alexa calm, and without here there (or anyone else to step in) it's a bit hard on Alexa. I know their choreographer is there, but it's not the same.

Cain and LeDuc had a really rough skate having been so strong in training and practice. Tim never falls... except US Nats this year and here at SA (!?). The new lift with difficult entrance is usually solid. They're known for battling back in LP. Chris and Alexa... a mess... and what's the deal with no Aljona? Has she already bailed?
:hopelessness:

LynsJ

On the Ice
The Russians just keep hitting it wrong with the music. They don't have the most expressive skating so 'fun' programs just don't suit them and highlight this. I'd love to see them work on their facial expressions and delivery.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I expected so much from the Knerims. Maybe they need more timewith Aliona - then again folksshe is a topskaterandthe best competitor ever along with Katarina Witt maybe but as a coach we don't really know. But as much hype of the new coaching I am not sure this is a success yet - one thing no one talks about is what if Aliona in her drive for more skating glory comes back next year - what about the coaching and conflict of interest.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just a quick observation. Tarasova has pretty hair, but for this song/theme, I think it would be better in a pony tail. The bun is too "reserved" for a James Brown tune IMO.

glorybox6

Final Flight
Tarasova/Morozov's program felt like something Urbanski/Marval would have done on the mid-'90s pro circuit (except Calla had the personality to pull it off). It's beneath them when they should be doing something like Bechke/Petrov style from that same era. If T/M think this direction is working for them, they are the least self-aware pairs team in the business.

Was anyone else amused by Maxim Trankov in his red flannel shirt in the kiss and cry? It's rare to see a coach dressed so casually in the K&C.

Hase/Seegert were a breath of fresh air -- everything very solid. It'd really be something if they can hold onto a medal.

Knierims looked completely scattered and lost. Yes, the style is totally new and lots of their elements have been tweaked but it was difficult to watch. Also, it's very strange to me that they were willing to pack up their lives and move to Germany to train with Aljona, but then Aljona wasn't willing to fly to Seattle for them. How committed is Aljona to this team?

waterfall braid

On the Ice
I just love Ashley and Tim’s side by side I spins!:love:

It was a pleasure to watch Minerva and Nolan, always lovely to see skaters so delighted with how they skated!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee reminder that the highlights of the Pairs SP will be starting on Eurosport 2 in a few minutes.

Here is the link for the British Eurosport 2 highlights on the Player (starts at 6m 11s. Interesting feature about ski jumper turned cyclist Primož Roglič at 1m 00s):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...-america/976c17c7-5079-4fb5-87df-0c4a0e85f534

This will be followed by LIVE coverage of the Pairs FS in an hour.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
And after FS I will start the predictions math for 200 participants:cheer:, we will sure love Hase/Segert spoiler, won't we? :laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have no idea if someone is try to destroy T and M but really they need to pick programs that highlight them and not show off their weakness or lack of charisma. This sp doesn't feel good, look good or do good! It isn't good and the m arks reflect it expecially pcs. Those scores are not a world gold medallist team. They are better than the French but bad choices like this is opening them up to be mocked and destroyed mark wise.

I know fans love Savchenko but we need to remember as amazing and competitive as she is this does not necessarily make a good coach. The fact the Knerims look kind of awkward at this stage and having the advantage of being married I am not so sure Savchenko is all that great as a coach. Inspiring because of who she is but technically, artisitcally amd mentally are different components and the jury is still out if Savchenko can tick off all those boxes. Besides if she is plannig to come back I am not so sure she will be around next ear or too long in the future. Savchenko as inspiring and likeable is about Savchenko and what savchenko wants She has been lucky she has had "silent" partners. BEcause some might not be so accommodating.