2018 Skate America: Thoughts and Highlights? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate America: Thoughts and Highlights?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey all!

Love the back-and-forth and reviews! We have selected our winner so get ready for Skate Canada!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Ladies:

Miyahara: Gorgeous, she was far and away the most natural on the ice. Where others fought for their points she gained them effortlessly. I liked her Free better than her Short but Tango doesn’t come naturally for her, this won’t be an iconic skate of hers but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t skate it so well.

Sakamoto: I like Charlotte Church and she interpreted well. Deserving second place.

Samodurova: Unexpected third, but deserving. I liked her energy but you could see the distance in skill between third and second.

Tennell: Such a shame about her Short! But I really think she can be proud of her fight back the next day. I liked her more than Samodurova but I think just seeing her pushing her tech content makes me like her so much. She’ll do better next time, there’s still time.

Andrews: Poor Starr but she’s so young and she’s got time to improve. She has such charisma!

Men’s

Chen: He seem to be having so much fun which was so different from earlier this year. I love jazz so I like his SP. He seemed so frustrated in the Japan Open but here it was all ease.

Březina: He really got in the zone at a certain point on his FS. Raff was so happy, happier than Nathan’s win!

Voronov: His FS was lovely and he stumbled a couple of times but he had fun. I’m glad he got bronze.

Pairs:

Evgenia Tarasova / Vladimir Morozov: Despite their mistakes they were a class above the best, can’t wait for the Euros.

Alisa Efimova / Alexander Korovin: Good not great but they did what they had to do to get silver.

Ashley Cain / Timothy LeDuc: I was kinda shocked they came third, it made me go back and see if I missed mistakes in the others.

Ice Dance

Madison Hubbell / Zachary Donohue: Their Tango was so sensual but I’m not sold on the Free... yet.

Charlène Guignard / Marco Fabbri: I like their Tango but I hate hate hate their La La Land Free. I’m just so over that music and it doesn’t suit them.

Tiffany Zahorski / Jonathan Guerreiro: I really liked their free but it’s a shame about the deductions. They were lucky that 4th and 5th didn’t snatch Bronze from them.

Fear/ Gibson: They’ve made such improvements in their Tango and their Free is still my favourite of the season. So proud!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As a reminder to myself: NBC's three-hour recap of Skate America airs tomorrow at 3 pm Eastern (check your local listings).

(I for one am interested in watching :popcorn:, even though Skate America ended days ago.
Easy to forget [at least for me :hopelessness:] the air date/time, given that it is a competition day for Skate Canada International.)

Julian got me as a new fan. Great skater! I enjoyed his EX the most and the icing on the cake was to have the pleasure to meet and briefly talk to his mom (thanks to @ice coverage). We saw them again in the parking lot and my friend tried to get a picture with him but missed. He posed with someone else and by the time we looked up he and company had gotten into the car.

The audience was great, cheering for all skaters - among the favorites were Jimmy, Nathan (for obvious reasons), Kaori and Satoko - almost everyone.

Skate America had many highlights for me, but Julian was #1. :dance2:
He was a major reason that I had looked forward to attending, and I was thrilled for him after his SP. :bow:
Then thrilled for me ;) that I had a chance to see his exhibition live (after admiring previous performances of it on my computer).
Also a big honor and thrill to meet him and his mother and his coach Michael Hopfes, all of whom were down-to-earth and gracious. :luv17:

As always, I adored everything about Satoko :yay:, and I am so happy that she had a big win.
(Her exhibition particularly delighted me -- her smile is wonderful, and I loved seeing her embrace being an entertainer.)

It was something special for me to see Vincent's exhibition (with Josh's choreo) live.
Great that the gala crowd was very appreciative of Vincent.

I could go on and on and on forever, but will just quickly mention a few more: Romain Ponsart's Carmen; Moris Kvitelashvili; Matteo Rizzo; Jimmy Ma; Kaori; Megan Wessenberg; Lorraine/Quinn; Walsh/Michaud …

Another highlight: The opportunity to renew acquaintances :ghug: with nguhym and others. And to meet some fellow fans for the first time.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone smarter than me explain why/how Megan Wessenberg got a spot? Admittedly she did well, especially considering she was 17th at US Nationals, but how on earth did we get that far down the list? I know Ashley and Mirai are not competing this year, but there are a LOT of ladies between them and 17th. Did someone just decide she had improved so much she deserved a spot?

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Can someone smarter than me explain why/how Megan Wessenberg got a spot? Admittedly she did well, especially considering she was 17th at US Nationals, but how on earth did we get that far down the list? I know Ashley and Mirai are not competing this year, but there are a LOT of ladies between them and 17th. Did someone just decide she had improved so much she deserved a spot?

I believe she did very well in summer competitions and was then assigned the spot, the same as how Bradie earned the host pick last year. I was skeptical after her performance at Ondrej Nepela, but she proved herself more than worthy of it.