Skate America: Pairs' Thoughts? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skate America: Pairs' Thoughts?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was referring to his actual skating skills, eg, edge quality and control, power off his edges. Not just jumps. I believe he's a much stronger skater.
Yeah, maybe so. But Chelsea is not horrible in her skating skills. She does have speed and flow. She could probably improve by developing greater leg strength, spring, and quickness in getting her free leg out. Otherwise, they get along well, and they match decently well physically. Plus, they both have advanced pairs experience.

As we all know, finding a suitable partner in pairs or ice dance, is not an easy endeavor. Balazs seems happy with Chelsea, and patient about working together on improving as a team. So, we'll see how it all progresses for them. No matter who is strongest, they look promising together.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm late -- I was out of town half the week and super busy the other half. But I'm chiming in here now. Just because!

Chelsea Liu/Balazs Nagy. For sheer watchability, these two are the ones to watch. They have ice presence, even thru the stream. They look very happy to be skating together. Many smiles from Chelsea and intense looks from Balazs. Chelsea has an ethereal quality ... appropriately, since she flies sky high. Balazs has an attitude throughout of stability and calm. These two are very, very promising indeed!

I enjoyed that the French judge had Chelsea and Balazs in first. That's impressive, especially considering they've been skating together 5 or 6 months only.

Chelsea mentioned in Claire Coultier's interview that they'd both been to various throw camps and thus had quite different techniques on the throws. These are a work in progress. They already look smooth and beautiful, and I expect them to improve steadily.

I don't go along with the negative views of their jumps. I think their jump strategy may be to cultivate confidence through success -- by performing the jumps they feel confident they can do now, and build. And, incidentally, to wow the crowd and the judges with their exquisite lifts and really amazing twists. In any case, the results are not at this point their go-to goal. They want to be happy with their performances now, and work little by little to improve as they go.

I looked up 2022 Worlds results. Riku/Ryuichi had a fall on the throw jump and won the silver medal. So a pair CAN podium with falls and negative-GOE jumps, as we all know. And it's my understanding that a triple jump with a fall, or with negative GOE, still counts as a triple jump. Chelsea and Balazs had 2 jumps counted as triples in the SP, and 2 counted as triples in the free skate. This already isn't a team with "no triples."

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I looked up 2022 Worlds results. Riku/Ryuichi had a fall on the throw jump and won the silver medal. So a pair CAN podium with falls and negative-GOE jumps, as we all know. And it's my understanding that a triple jump with a fall, or with negative GOE, still counts as a triple jump. Chelsea and Balazs had 2 jumps counted as triples in the SP, and 2 counted as triples in the free skate. This already isn't a team with "no triples."
Of course a pair can win medals with errors. My point wasn't about planned content. I made that clear. I even coined the term realistic planned content. I do not dispute L/N's extreme potential. But until they land their triple throws and jumps in competition, I am just being fair in saying that landing on the podium without any successful triple jump/throw is not something usual. Already at SCI, all teams attempted triple throws and only one team went for a 2A.
7 teams have received neutral/positive GOE on triple throws.
4 teams have received neutral/positve GOE on SBS triple jumps.
The only team not to have managed either is Laurin / Ethier which is actually unusual at least in terms of SBS jumps as they are solid singles skaters : i have even seen them do the SBS 3LOOP.

So we can say, with confidence that the 3 teams on the podium after the FP today will most likely have landed at least one triple throw/ SBS jump, which was not the case last week.

That's all I was saying : I am not using a crystal ball here and being a visionary fan. I will be able if any team develops to a high standard. I am just analyzing protocols. Very much factual instead of hypothetical.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course a pair can win medals with errors. My point wasn't about planned content. I made that clear. I even coined the term realistic planned content. I do not dispute L/N's extreme potential.
I got that. I even re-used your phrase. :)

Weathergal

Medalist
I found SkAm to be a weaker pairs competition, but I certainly don't think it's all doom and gloom. I enjoyed Hocke / Kunkel's FS that they kept from last season more when they did it last season - I think they sold it better. Their SP was well done though. Pereira / Michaud are coming along nicely, and I hope they continue to improve. I think Liu / Nagy show great promise already as well.

Plazas / Fernandez have some really nice qualities, but I think they're running out of time to solidify a "leading role" for themselves in US Pairs, as they're just not moving forward enough with the jumps. They do have great lifts though!

I agree with noskates that the US doesn't technically have depth yet, but it does have potential with Chan / Howe (hopefully back from injury soon), Liu / Nagy, Kam / O'Shea, and the teams of Efimova / Mitrofanov and McBeath / Parkman, and others. I'm looking forward to see these teams develop and challenge each other!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just noticed on U.S. figsk fan zone that the US figsk YouTube channel posted SA press conferences for each program in each discipline. Were others previously aware of these pressers being made available?

Are the SC press conferences also available somewhere?