Where are you watching Skate America 2023? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Where are you watching Skate America 2023?

Country
Norway
I'll also wait until tomorrow morning. You cross your fingers and I'll be holding my thumb. Haha, I wonder when I'll wake up. I'm curious so maybe before seven. You?

I've read that Nent group paid for the nordic rights until this season(4 seasons). Suppose figure skating didn't give them customers they thought. At least not Grand Prix with few Nordic participants. Now my hope is that Swedish TV can buy back the rights for the championships. Which they couldn't afford against Nent group's high bidding.
I don´t think I will be up as early as seven on a Saturday, then I would need a fairy drag me up with the smell of coffee :LOL: :LOL:

I thought the Norwegian state sponsored channel got the rights for Olympics, including figure skating, but i´m not sure. I wonder what will happen with the championships. If the YT channel turns out to be blocked for GP, we would most likely will not have coverage for EC either and will have no official way to watch it.

All though, if ISU really has geoblocked several countries that does not have coverage, they go against the whole purpose of the channel. It was exactly situations like this it was made for.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I don´t think I will be up as early as seven on a Saturday, then I would need a fairy drag me up with the smell of coffee :LOL: :LOL:

I thought the Norwegian state sponsored channel got the rights for Olympics, including figure skating, but i´m not sure. I wonder what will happen with the championships. If the YT channel turns out to be blocked for GP, we would most likely will not have coverage for EC either and will have no official way to watch it.

All though, if ISU really has geoblocked several countries that does not have coverage, they go against the whole purpose of the channel. It was exactly situations like this it was made for.
Exactly, though I think they thought of how to spread the sport to people in small nations. It's actually weird to think that a lot of European countries don't have the rights now. I used to watch Grand Prix on Eurosport until Nent group bought it. And do you remember figure skating being free to watch their first season?

We'll see tomorrow and further on when closer to Euros etc... sleep well as long as you need it :biggrin:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
anyone else from the UK finding the ISU youtube stream is now geoblocked?? they were working for me yesterday, but now, at least on my phone, says “the broadcaster has not made it available in your region” and i can’t find any upcoming streams on eurosport/discovery+ !!!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
anyone else from the UK finding the ISU youtube stream is now geoblocked?? they were working for me yesterday, but now, at least on my phone, says “the broadcaster has not made it available in your region” and i can’t find any upcoming streams on eurosport/discovery+ !!!

For goodness sake! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yesterday, we thought everything had been worked out. Now, five and a half hours before it is due to start, we are back to not knowing where or if we can watch it!

This is beyond ridiculous now.

CaroLiza_fan

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For goodness sake! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yesterday, we thought everything had been worked out. Now, five and a half hours before it is due to start, we are back to not knowing where or if we can watch it!

This is beyond ridiculous now.

CaroLiza_fan

It is becoming entirely too difficult to be a fan of this sport.

I don't know how any of this adds up to "growing the sport." We on this board are superfans, and we'll probably find some way or another to at least catch our favorites, but how many casual viewers are going to go to that much trouble?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It is becoming entirely too difficult to be a fan of this sport.

I don't know how any of this adds up to "growing the sport." We on this board are superfans, and we'll probably find some way or another to at least catch our favorites, but how many casual viewers are going to go to that much trouble?

You have just hit the nail on the head with all your points.

But even catching up on our favourites has become very difficult because of the policies on YouTube.

And to answer your question at the end - none.

CaroLiza_fan

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Crossposting here, hopefully it will be helpful:

The livestreams have now been geoblocked: check the ISU's Youtube page. If you don't see the upcoming livestreams for SkAm, they will unfortunately be geoblocked in your country. I would second ProtonVPN: it's free and very safe. You simply need to create a free account, dowload the app/extension, set it to the Netherlands, and you will be able to watch. VPNs like Proton are not sketchy, and have very strong privacy protections in place, so don't worry about your data being stolen or anything. You can also check on VK if you have an account (Russian site, requires phone number and to subscribe to the channel) and this liveQQ link (no signup required, Chinese website and sometimes glitches but no sketchy popup ads)

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA fans are now geoblocked from the ISU page, however our friends from Canada are not.
So use your Canadian connections.

Yes, I just noticed this. No worries for me, as I have Peacock, and can watch on my phone, however, my friend who wanted to watch can't now.

16Olympics

On the Ice
For USA viewers... and I suppose for others that are geo-blocked for whatever reason...

Last year, I used the free version of the Proton VPN app, installed to my iPad, and set to Netherlands, to view all ISU livestream GP and major international championship events.

Fingers crossed it works again.

PS, I'm an old fart and not technologically savvy, and even I could manage it.

Edit: I see our friend @CoyoteChris beat me to the punch with the Proton info. But you all deserve to see it twice!
I have a paid Proton VPN and am currently in Belgium with the first event tile up for pairs at YT. The free version works as well but I've had a paid version for years and it works.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy to help!

Perhaps try using a different browser for the skating only?
Squee!! I just tried that and put it on Safari (normal browser is Chrome). So far it seems to be working!!! Video is playing, but I'm still able to type on goldenskate and browse facebook and whatever. I can't thank you enough!!

VickB

On the Ice
Just a note...
It is also in French and spoken beautifully...

On Radio Canada website... go to sports section and then go "a voir" section... and listen to a friendly Canadian voice...

Again... the YouTube/ISU seems to be always anti Canadian ... 3 Australian and 1 British .. at times I mute them...

Vick

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I actually found the ambient sound setting… but ambient sound on or off, still hearing the commentary.
That’s not very nice of them. Pfft.

Pink Peril

Rinkside
The great news for us in New Zealand is finally, after two years of Geo blocking when sky sports dropped it, they have now lifted the Geo block and I’ve been able to watch it all this evening as I certainly wasn’t getting up at 6 am. I had installed the free Proton VPN as a backup, however, from this end of the world I wouldn’t have been able to see it on the free one as you now have no choice of which country server you use. It connects to the one closest to your geographical location, so for New Zealand that is the USA. So it would’ve only been possible with a paid subscription. Thank goodness the ISU has lifted the Geo block for New Zealand.
For people in the UK, the free one should work fine as the closest location is the Netherlands server which it should link to automatically.
This whole situation is just crazy. I follow so many sports around the world and none of them are Geo blocked anywhere.
People who have power and connections in the skating world need to take action about this with the ISU because they ignore all customer service complaints and even letters sent by snail mail. It is doing so much damage to skating as a sport

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
NBC reshow the women short and I think men's free skate. Hopefully can watch in E the free skate and free dance.