2018 Skate Canada Men's Short Program | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Men's Short Program

cake

On the Ice
I´m especially happy for Majorov and Samohin for skating clean and making the final group.
I hope Messing can repeat such a great performance tomorrow! If Cha stays clean in the free, I exspect him to score a bit better in PCS. I think his early start held him back.

champagnerain

Final Flight
Update from my coworker, who knows nothing about skating but really enjoys calling Shoma "chicken man":

Me to my coworker: Chicken man fell spectacularly into the boards.
My coworker: So he's still winning, right?

My coworker understands skating more than he realizes. :drama:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Really, is this it now for GP series? I did not have time to watch SA last week, but I mean, really, it was Nathan show, so no point in watching anyone else. I decided to go for the men because I was at home for the first time in a while and had not had time to watch much of FS since the first competitions in Junior GP. Men have been my main thing for a long time, but I am not sure what to think about tonight.

The first group was fine although must be said the jump difficulty was a bit on the low side - but most of them have a quad at least (unlike some in the second group). Kevin Aymoz I have liked a lot for quite some time now (I am pleased to see he is gaining fans) - he actually skates to the music (unlike most others) and he was fine to watch despite the messy jumps. Junhwan was ok, although I am not sure whether he is the Prince or Cinderella with that countdown to midnight forming the highlight of the prorgram (and get rid of those gloves, please!). Samohin did NOT mess up which is amazing to see after quite a few years of seriously messing up all the time.

It was surprising to see that only Shoma tried two quads in the second group. His skating is so riddled with mannerisms that it does not really matter what music he is skating to, he is just repeating the same vocabulary as before arranged in slightly different order (that swinging of one arm is really starting to irritate me, not to mention quite a few other things). It is also somewhat unimpressing to watch the choreo slow down when the music picks up pace towards the end. That Keegan Messing is in the lead after SP feels a bit of a joke. He is after all skating basically the same program for the umpteenth year. But at least he did it clean. His feet and his upper body seem to belong to different worlds, with the upper body not quite at the same level as his feet.

I am not sure if I want to watch the FS after this.

E

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Keegan was awesome! I'm not wearing my glasses at the moment, but who was the woman standing by the KnC who gave him a hug, the one who looks like TAT but 100# less? It sure looked like TAT!

Roo87

Medalist
Keegan was awesome! I'm not wearing my glasses at the moment, but who was the woman standing by the KnC who gave him a hug, the one who looks like TAT but 100# less? It sure looked like TAT!

He just got engaged, maybe his fiancé?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Time for a name change!

I think not, Roo87! I predicted Osmond as a Gold medalist and future World Champion back in 2013 on GS, amongst the roar of laughter and was mocked by the usual GS naysayers, and have no problem doing it yet again. Keegan4gold, I say!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Wow, does this mean his old technique was that bad? Doesn't say much for his lifelong coach.

Jason Brown needed to move on from Kori Ade about 4 years ago, to a better technical coach. Now he's behind the 8-ball and whether Orser can help him make up ground as fast as he needs to, is unclear.

kwalker

Rinkside

The blonde lady is Manon Perron,
Joannie Rochette's coach and one of the Team Canada leads for the event.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m late to the party and only now catching up on the videos, but I just gotta say: KEEGAN, you beast!!! :yahoo: *incoherent shrieking*

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Never been a fan of Jason but I really like the new Jason 2.0. What a diff a haircut makes. Love his music and program - just needs confidence in those jumps.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Honestly I’m not that worried about Jason. His practice run through was beautiful- his axel in general is loads better. I think the trouble comes from when nerves interfere with his focus on new technique.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a great freeskate.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Honestly I’m not that worried about Jason. His practice run through was beautiful- his axel in general is loads better. I think the trouble comes from when nerves interfere with his focus on new technique.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a great freeskate.

Except that nerves are a part of competing. Jason used to manage his nerves really well for the most part - it’s a big reason why he was so consistent at major events like Worlds. He hasn’t been able to manage his nerves for about a year. Yes, part of that is the new technique/ coaching situation, but IMO it goes beyond that. He doesn’t seem to trust himself anymore, not just his technique.

century2009

On the Ice
Do you feel that it is night and day with the judging at

Skate America vs Skate Canada?

The judging was so lax and letting things go compared to the intense calls at Skate America.

It is like someone said "Judges you were too harsh at Skate America, dial it down a bit for Skate Canada"

century2009

On the Ice
Because Nathan’s quad wasn’t good. Keegan did an awesome job!

If Nathan did not mess up for his quad flip, he would be over Keegan. But there are different judges here so you cant really compare them at different events (apples vs. oranges --- so cant compare given different environment and different judges), especially how generous the judges are at Skate Canada compared to Skate America, which were overly strict and harsh.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Except that nerves are a part of competing. Jason used to manage his nerves really well for the most part - it’s a big reason why he was so consistent at major events like Worlds. He hasn’t been able to manage his nerves for about a year. Yes, part of that is the new technique/ coaching situation, but IMO it goes beyond that. He doesn’t seem to trust himself anymore, not just his technique.

I agree with you- but I think he is capable of regaining that confidence, it’s just going to take time.

What I should have said is I wouldn’t be surprised to see a great freeskate, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him struggle. Last year really did a number on Jason- It might take some time for him to trust his ability again. Either way I am pulling for him.

georgia

On the Ice
If Nathan did not mess up for his quad flip, he would be over Keegan. But there are different judges here so you cant really compare them at different events (apples vs. oranges --- so cant compare given different environment and different judges), especially how generous the judges are at Skate Canada compared to Skate America, which were overly strict and harsh.
I am not trying to compare the 2. IMHO Nathan is a better skater. Though he made misakes in his short, his scored well. Keegan today did a very good job, and he was also rewarded by the judges accordingly.

century2009

On the Ice
I am not trying to compare the 2. IMHO Nathan is a better skater. Though he made misakes in his short, his scored well. Keegan today did a very good job, and he was also rewarded by the judges accordingly.

Not to take away from any of these skaters because they did a great job at their respective event, but yeah. It is just night and day with the judges at these 2 events.

Almost every single Flip was called at Skate America and here at Skate Canada, NONE.

I feel I am on a rollar coaster ride with the how the judging as been done so far.