2018 US Championships Jr. Ladies SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Jr. Ladies SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Many of these ladies can do better - but a few good performances tonight. Alysa Liu never let go of her lead!!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
12. Akari Nakahara, All Year FSC

Costume: very light pink, lots of sparkle

Music: Cinema Paradiso

Elements:
3Lz
3F-2T
LSp
2A
FSSp - excellent!
StSq - absolutelu gorgeous spiral
CCoSp

She’s got wonderful presentation. She’s obviously enjoying the moment at much that it’s hard not to enjoy it with her. :) Pleasure to watch.

I loved her program! She is so soft and artistic. She warmed up a cold rink. I scored a real chair with legroom but I am glad for my layered clothes. I gave Alysa a standing O. +

Sjs5572

Final Flight
What do you think about the quality of Alysa Liu's jumps?
Alysa Liu at Regionals (SP):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzrboKQ2UK8

Was she yesterday better?

She was good at regionals and better yesterday. Her flip/toe was fully rotated, although slight flat edged. She is only 12 years old, backloads her jumps, and barring injury or huge growth spurt, could be a threat at Beijing 2022. Do we really need snarky shade thrown at a twelve year old?

concorde

Medalist
11. Emily Zhang, Richmond SC

Costume: bright pink airbrushed halter with sparkly neck and back

Music: sounds vaguely like a Joe Hishashi soundtrack but I have no idea

Elements:
3Lz
3F-2T - rippon on the flip
Death drop
2A
CCoSp
StSq - lovely
LSp

She carries this music remarkably well - can tell it suits her style. I enjoyed that performance.

FWIW - Emily skated as an Intermediate last year. At Intermediate Nationals last year, she tanked her short (I think she was in 7th place), won the long, and wound up 2nd overall. Looks like skipping Novice was an excellent idea!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I'm pretty surprised there's been so little talk / hype about Alysa Liu. Think about how much You Young was talked about when they were the same age, for example. Especially considering the state of American Ladies' skating, I'd expect her to get hyped up quite a bit. I wasn't even aware someone like this existed.

On the jump technique, it's alright. Not perfect but above average, I'd say. Definitely has more potential than many.

notonmylife15

On the Ice
I'm pretty surprised there's been so little talk / hype about Alysa Liu. Think about how much You Young was talked about when they were the same age, for example. Especially considering the state of American Ladies' skating, I'd expect her to get hyped up quite a bit. I wasn't even aware someone like this existed.

On the jump technique, it's alright. Not perfect but above average, I'd say. Definitely has more potential than many.

I've seen more articles and videos promoting Alysa Liu this week. She's gotten plenty of press and definitely has great potential. I'm just praying she doesn't go the way of Beatricia Liang.

thoakun

Final Flight
I don't even follow American skating but I've seen 2 articles about Alyssa Liu. She's definitely the one to watch. The media attention for young athletes with champion potential is another level.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Are videos of top 3 girls available anywhere? Alysa Liu really impressed me at Asian Trophy with her FS. Really big expression and good use choreography especially for being just 12 years old!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Watch Alysa on IN replay. She was quite impressive! She had the audience totally with her!

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Damn that sucks that she misses out on the JGP next season by a month she would be a threat to the Russian girls.

I noticed that she changed her long program music to I dreamed a dream, another music piece to Les Miserables, is this true? I dreamed a dream is a really nice piece too! Can't wait to see her performances:)

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Watch Alysa on IN replay. She was quite impressive! She had the audience totally with her!

Do you have any videos of her? I think I have to re-subscribe to Ice Network again. I thought I had purchased it, but for whatever reason, they cancelled my purchase, LOL!

topaz emerald

Match Penalty

It's because she hasn't reached the senior level yet. American junior ladies do not get the media limelight until they reach seniors.

brightphoton

Medalist
I've seen more articles and videos promoting Alysa Liu this week. She's gotten plenty of press and definitely has great potential. I'm just praying she doesn't go the way of Beatricia Liang.

I just read an article about Alysa. Her family background is certainly very San Francisco ... honestly I'm not sure I understand it myself, but science sometimes moves faster than I can keep up with

Liu is used to the unconventional route. She and her four siblings — a 9-year-old sister and 8-year-old triplets — were conceived through anonymous egg donors and surrogate moms.

Oakland lawyer Arthur Liu, 53, is rearing the children with the help of his partner and a community of friends, he said.

In a sport populated with moms calling the shots, Liu stands out.

“I’m the mom and the dad — I’m all she has,” he said.

Arthur Liu recalled how his daughter started asking questions about her familial background at an early age.

“Daddy, why do I look different?” she would ask. “I don’t look Chinese.”

The questions were more detailed two years ago, so Liu finally explained it to her.

“You have a biological mother, you have a surrogate mother,” he said.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12...hmond-girl-be-figure-skatings-next-big-thing/

HolySalchow

Spectator
I thought both Jenna Shi and Akarhi actually skated to their music and both looked like they wanted to be out there. Their programs had flow and they are more captivated than some of the other skaters. Akarhi's spiral is memorizing...did you hear the audiences claps and gasps!