2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m not ashamed to admit I cried a little. I’m so so happy for them! Totally deserved.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
PJ Hallam, Natasha McKay and Danni Harrison plus Sam McAllister were all competing today at Golden Bear. Natasha McKay is in 4th and Danielle Harrison in 19th. PJ Hallam in 9th with a fall and Sam McAllister in 13th.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This is the Canadian commentary for Lilah & Lewis' SCI FD (and commercial-free, unlike the one on YouTube): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7n3qrp

It's the coolest most entertaining ice dance performance that I've ever seen!!! :cool2: :rock: :party:

Warwick360

Medalist
I still await for the return of Bolero era, or the Cousin/Curry era, which is why it is really nice to see some British presence on the podium.:thumbsup:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
It's very gratifying to hear Tracy Wilson appreciate lilah and lewis' performance!! I'm still sad that we don't get eurosport commentary this year, I'd have loved to hear their thoughts on the Brits :(
This FD is such a joy, they are just so good at getting into the character of the piece! I even think they could give it some more- the middle section in particular could be a bit more high energy, but it's made up for with that stationary to rotational lift and fab character choreo section! I'm so excited to see them at their second GP!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
So F&G’s next assignment is NHK. What do we think are their odds of perhaps repeating the bronze?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So F&G’s next assignment is NHK. What do we think are their odds of perhaps repeating the bronze?

Not very likely, I think. NHK has a deeper field than SC did. The podium will probably be Papadakis/Cizeron, Stepanova/Bukin and Guignard/Fabbri. Beating G/F would be a much bigger upset than beating H/B was, imo. 4th would be a good result. Of course, ice is slippery, but they won't beat G/F is both skate well (and shouldn't yet - G/F are better skaters atm).

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I agree totally. 4th would be awesome there, I guess for NHK it’s all about slowly improving their seasons best score. Getting closer to 200 by worlds would be the dream!

G/F are awesome and I’m happy to see them rise up the ranks. It’s interesting though because back when Coomes and Buckland were still competing I saw them as around the same level. I wonder where they would be placing now if they were still competing...

It’s a shame that Tweedale and Buckland weren’t able to get a place on the GP circuit this year!

pesto

On the Ice
GB seems to have had an uninterrupted run of producing ice dancers at this sort of level recently - I mean just below the very best in the world, but very good, popular and watchable. I wish we could do that well at the other disciplines.

Penny and Nick rose just as the Kerrs were coming to the end of their career, and now the torch has passed to Lilah and Lewis.

Penny and Nick won one European bronze and one GP bronze, the Kerrs did somewhat better - a couple of European bronzes, and five GP medals, including a couple of silver, and got to GPF one year.

Lilah and Lewis are starting to have good results relatively early compared to the Kerrs, who took a while to really find their style - they were very close to nabbing bronze at the NHK last year ( in a slightly depleted field). I wonder how far they can go.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
We do have some good Ice Dance coaches in the UK but unfortunately all three couples had to go abroad to make that next step. I’m hoping one day the Kerr’s or Coomes and Buckland come back to inspire the next generation.

What I love about Ice Dance is it is so much harder to predict who will move up the ranks next. However in Fear and Gibson’s case I have faith they can at least get that second spot for us in World Championships. Perhaps not this season but fingers crossed in time for the Olympic season. Their biggest rivals this will be Hawayek and Baker and Carrera and Ponomarenko. However they suffer from such a competitive American field.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
We do have some good Ice Dance coaches in the UK but unfortunately all three couples had to go abroad to make that next step. I’m hoping one day the Kerr’s or Coomes and Buckland come back to inspire the next generation.

What I love about Ice Dance is it is so much harder to predict who will move up the ranks next. However in Fear and Gibson’s case I have faith they can at least get that second spot for us in World Championships. Perhaps not this season but fingers crossed in time for the Olympic season. Their biggest rivals this will be Hawayek and Baker and Carrera and Ponomarenko. However they suffer from such a competitive American field.

If we assume the top 2 teams from Canada (G/P, FB/S), Russia (S/K, S/B) and the US (H/D, C/B) will be in the top ten with P/C and G/F, that leaves two spots. Only one of H/B and C/P can go as the third team for the US, so Fear/Gibson wouldn't actually have to beat that team to be top ten and get 2 spots. Though I do think whichever Spanish team makes it will be in the mix to, and maybe the Russian #3 if it's Zagorski/Guerreiro and Tiffany's knees actually let them train solidly for a while. And maybe Kaliszek/Spodyriev, since they tend to be much stronger in the 2nd half.

But yeah, I think F/G could get the 2nd spot even this season.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah, I would say Lilah & Lewis have a pretty good shot at top ten this year. There are eight spots basically spoken for, and they're very much in the mix for the remaining two; at the moment, with help from some of the other contenders being injured in the offseason or otherwise just looking out of sorts, they're out in front. We'll see if they can stay ahead.

pesto

On the Ice
Heh. Very inventive.

It'd be great if they could get us that second spot for Worlds. They already got us an extra one for Europeans. My hope for that is that they get into the last group / top 5.