2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Well, these super close, less-than-a-point-from-the-podium 4th place finishes for our Junior ID teams (just one more level, a bit more GOE or PCS would have done it) must feel comical at this point but I'm sure this will bring out their competitive fire and will motivate them even further for their 2nd JGPs :).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, these super close, less-than-a-point-from-the-podium 4th place finishes for our Junior ID teams (just one more level, a bit more GOE or PCS would have done it) must feel comical at this point but I'm sure this will bring out their competitive fire and will motivate them even further for their 2nd JGPs :).
Looking at the protocols, the big problem was Natalie's twizzles, which were dropped to level 1; that, I think, was obvious from the performance (I would probably have given them negative GOE on those, but then the ISU judges seldom seem to share my strict views on twizzle GOE).

But they also lost levels on their combo spin and on the stationary lift. The stationary lift was called as level 3 in both programs with no evident flaws in execution, so I think that's probably a design issue; they've got a few weeks to revise it, though.

They got some very good levels, though, too -- level 3 on the one-foot for both, and level three in the step sequence.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
So tired of juniors being held up in yet another European competition, with block nations being the norm. Another example this weekend why this sport needs a refresh. Yes, Canadians are nice and let's put them in 4th as they are likely to accept, or even apologize for their results...one can hope. :sarcasm:

Once again questionable placements has hurt our sport and means a loss of a future fan base. I expect more toe tapping to be the norm all the way to Turin.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So tired of juniors being held up in yet another European competition, with block nations being the norm. Another example this weekend why this sport needs a refresh. Yes, Canadians are nice and let's put them in 4th as they are likely to accept, or even apologize for their results...one can hope. :sarcasm:

Once again questionable placements has hurt our sport and means a loss of a future fan base. I expect more toe tapping to be the norm all the way to Turin.
There wasn’t anything questionable about Natalie and Bruce’s results. They made significant technical errors and narrowly lost to a team that did not.

mrrice

Record Breaker
:eek:topic:

Congratulations to Bianca Andreescu for winning the US Open. I love her personality and hope we'll see her stay at the top of the game. She has vaulted more than 100 spots to become the #1 player in the World.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:eek:topic:

Congratulations to Bianca Andreescu for winning the US Open. I love her personality and hope we'll see her stay at the top of the game. She has vaulted more than 100 spots to become the #1 player in the World.

she will be # 5 but she definitely could reach #1 in a few months

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I noticed last night that somebody edited the Lou Marsh Trophy’s Wiki entry to list Bianca as the winner for 2019 — technically vandalism, but I don’t think there’s any chance that won’t be the actual result in a few months.:laugh:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I noticed last night that somebody edited the Lou Marsh Trophy’s Wiki entry to list Bianca as the winner for 2019 — technically vandalism, but I don’t think there’s any chance that won’t be the actual result in a few months.:laugh:

Mikael Kingsbury agrees.

Balloon

On the Ice
Looking forward to what the Canadians will do this week in Russia. Hoping Nadia and Peter can medal, and I am very curious what pairs will do, a good few teams that haven’t been international-I think there could be some surprises. Wishing great skates for Olivia and the men.
Let’s go Team Canada!

Scout

Final Flight
Just realized that the last time Olivia competed in a jgp (the only one she's done so far) in 2016, it was won by Zagitova. Happy to see Olivia back on the jgp circuit. Hope she has two awesome skates! And hoping that for all those from whom this is their second outing, can build on their first one. Excited for this and for Autumn Classic.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Looking forward to what the Canadians will do this week in Russia. Hoping Nadia and Peter can medal, and I am very curious what pairs will do, a good few teams that haven’t been international-I think there could be some surprises. Wishing great skates for Olivia and the men.
Let’s go Team Canada!
Nadiia & Peter and Iliya would be our best chances there.

Nadiia & Peter had only one JGP last year and their placement was unremarkable (especially unfortunate since they had to deal with that stuffed animal being through on the ice midway through their free dance), so I think they might be at a bit of an initial disadvantage in the RD, as far as the judges not really being primed for them; that was also the case with Miku & Tyler (conversely, you could tell that the Courchevel judges were ready for Emmy & Aissa, between their JGP outings from last year and what I don't doubt was effective lobbying from Marie-France et al.). Though they did win Lake Placid IDI, so maybe that'll give them some help at the start. Their early competitions suggest they're really good at getting the RD levels, though (even if, frustratingly, Lake Placid IDI has still never published their protocols), so that would be a big help in positioning themselves for the free.

Meanwhile, Lombardia Trophy and the Autumn Classic will deliver the first international outings for many Canadian participants. The dance teams can be expected to take home a few medals, at a minimum.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Per Skate Canada's events page, Finlandia Trophy entries are:

Roman Sadovsky
Gabrielle Daleman
Lubov Ilyushechkina & Charlie Bilodeau
Evelyn Walsh & Trennt Michaud
Marjorie Lajoie & Zachary Lagha

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tech Team and Judges for ICE DANCE:

Ref: RUS
TC: GER
TS: ITA
ATS: BLR

Judges: JPN AZE ITA BLR KAZ RUS CZE USA CAN

Tech Team and Judges for MEN:

Ref: TUR
TC: GER
TS: RUS
ATS: UKR

Judges: USA CAN ITA AUS CZE KAZ PRK GER RUS

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
After the Chelyabinsk RD, Canadian teams are now sitting in third and fourth, so this time we can (fingers crossed) win a medal and keep the pewter streak going!

If nothing else, we've got backup in case one of them runs into issues.