2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
First SP in competition, clean SP for Rika!:clap:
3A was effortless. I thought that 3lo was her weakest jump but that 3lo rippon was something.
I still think that the music is awful, especially during the step sequence. But she make it work, because her skating is beautiful.

lzxnl

Final Flight
First SP in competition, clean SP for Rika!:clap:
3A was effortless. I thought that 3lo was her weakest jump but that 3lo rippon was something.
I still think that the music is awful, especially during the step sequence. But she make it work, because her skating is beautiful.

Yeah, by all means Rika, go for new genres, but the section where the singer is just howling? Cut that. Please.

She still needs a lutz for the free though...sure, she can replace one lutz with a flip I guess

readernick

Medalist
Rika did very well! The 3A and Step sequence were amazing. Unlike some others, I don't hate this program. The range of movement is really interesting . However, Rika needs to sell it more to make it work. She is hitting every note but her face is serious throughout the program.
She needs to have fun with the quirky choreo/ music to make this program shine. Also, her combo and loop did not have the beautiful running edge she usually gets on jumps. which really impacted GOE and overall TES score. That could be injury related. On the whole, it was a great first competition and I hope Rika keeps working on the performance side of this program. ( maybe ask Satoko / Evgenia to show her how to give face)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Rika did very well! The 3A and Step sequence were amazing. Unlike some others, I don't hate this program. The range of movement is really interesting . However, Rika needs to sell it more to make it work. She is hitting every note but her face is serious throughout the program.
She needs to have fun with the quirky choreo/ music to make this program shine. Also, her combo and loop did not have the beautiful running edge she usually gets on jumps. which really impacted GOE and overall TES score. That could be injury related. On the whole, it was a great first competition and I hope Rika keeps working on the performance side of this program. ( maybe ask Satoko / Evgenia to show her how to give face)

I agree about the program. I think the choreo is interested, I've gotten used to the music itself and she's moving pretty well to it, but a program like this really needs face. Without that it feels flat, like she's not connected to it. I think it's a good challenge for her.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight

I also really like it! the music its extravagant and has a really good choreography with movements really matching the music at the perfect time as we know Rika always show, but as you say she needs more facial expression to seld it more, and I know that will come with time because she always improves her programs components trough the season, anyway for the first competition it looks pretty good and I really think her score should be around 80-81. I notice her looking like distract from the program due to a healing left leg maybe, so the step sequence could be looked better. I'm looking forward to see the score increase for this program with better spins, step sequence and jumps that I know she can do. The dress is beautiful but I don´t think it fits well the music, I was expecting something dark as the one she presented in exibitions but better designed. I hope she has a great long program and win the event, Go Rika! :pray:. The triple axel look so high and beautiful :love:

readernick

Medalist
I agree about the program. I think the choreo is interested, I've gotten used to the music itself and she's moving pretty well to it, but a program like this really needs face. Without that it feels flat, like she's not connected to it. I think it's a good challenge for her.

I agree. Rika can do strong programs as shown by beautiful storm and sweet/ princessy as shown by her short last year. But, she can't really do fun/ sassy yet. I think this program is designed to make her grow.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I’m trying hard to love it, but that singing is just so... extra.... maybe I’m too conservative to understand it.
I think Rika is doing her best skating to that music, I can’t really blame her if she‘s not emotionally connected to that piece, it’s kind of hard to get used to it, it’s very unusual.
I really like the originality and I like that it’s helping Rika to develop as an artist, but I have a feeling it can result in some marks being held back because of how unusual the music is and judges might subconsciously lower down the marks if it’s not up to their taste...
In a way a risky move by Hamada.

The costume is beautiful, the shade of blue and the sleeves are dreamy.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I think Satoko's short program was the really riskiest decision Hamada has made, judges know Satoko for her classical programs and that weirdly egyptian music she choosed can cause a disgust to them, Rika is still finding herself so its okay, plus other skaters as Alina and Satoko (as I mentioned above) have arabic-egyptian music in their programs so if many top figure skaters try this kind of music then judges will have to love it. I think everyone has an opinion but the way Rika feels better and show her strenghts it's the best way, I think this program gives her more confidence as I have saw so far and she wanted to do this so it's great.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I think Satoko's short program was the really riskiest decision Hamada has made, judges know Satoko for her classical programs and that weirdly egyptian music she choosed can cause a disgust to them, Rika is still finding herself so its okay, plus other skaters as Alina and Satoko (as I mentioned above) have arabic-egyptian music in their programs so if many top figure skaters try this kind of music then judges will have to love it. I think everyone has an opinion but the way Rika feels better and show her strenghts it's the best way, I think this program gives her more confidence as I have saw so far and she wanted to do this so it's great.

I‘m more or less fine with Satoko‘s music, compared to Rika‘s (probably because there are no unusual vocals), I think a bigger risk comes from using Richaud in conjunction with an unusual music.
His choreo is very distinct and he uses a lot of unusual moves, and if we add a little bit of an unusual music on top it can definitely be strange to some conservative judges.
But Satoko is also a very experienced and powerful performer, the Piazolla piece from last year could’ve looked weird on a wrong skater, but Satoko is the person that could make that kind of music look a lot better.
So, I think she’ll manage to perform well to her Egyptian disco too.

randomfan

Record Breaker
What if Rika and Satoko switched their new SPs with each other? So, Rika has Egyptian Disco and Satoko has Breakfast in Baghdad. :) Yes I know this will never happen, but I became really curious on how this would look like ever since they debuted their programs in the summer shows. I feel that Breakfast in Baghdad is a rather difficult piece to interpret and so Satoko, who's more experienced, can really know how to sell it and portray the character well. Meanwhile, Egyptian Disco is clearly energetic and upbeat, so it could be easier for Rika to understand this fun side and express it.

Kittosuni

Medalist
I’m trying hard to love it, but that singing is just so... extra.... maybe I’m too conservative to understand it.
I think Rika is doing her best skating to that music, I can’t really blame her if she‘s not emotionally connected to that piece, it’s kind of hard to get used to it, it’s very unusual.
I really like the originality and I like that it’s helping Rika to develop as an artist, but I have a feeling it can result in some marks being held back because of how unusual the music is and judges might subconsciously lower down the marks if it’s not up to their taste...
In a way a risky move by Hamada.

The costume is beautiful, the shade of blue and the sleeves are dreamy.

I really like this program for Rika. This is the type of music that she needs to go all out weird. Hopefully as the season progresses she gets comfortable and let loose.

Not worried at all about the PCS for that program. Lets be real, her PCS will depend weather she hit or miss that 3A. Same as the other big jumpers. As long as she stay consistent with the jumps that PCS will rise.

I agree that the costume is beautiful by it self but is it appropriate/match fro the program? She needs a more playful costume to match the program. Not tacky or cheap looking but a more playful costume.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I really like this program for Rika. This is the type of music that she needs to go all out weird. Hopefully as the season progresses she gets comfortable and let loose.

Not worried at all about the PCS for that program. Lets be real, her PCS will depend weather she hit or miss that 3A. Same as the other big jumpers. As long as she stay consistent with the jumps that PCS will rise.

I agree that the costume is beautiful by it self but is it appropriate/match fro the program? She needs a more playful costume to match the program. Not tacky or cheap looking but a more playful costume.

Haha, tbh, I did not expect the standard pretty blue dress with this program...
When I saw leather pants and mesh top on shows I was expecting something bold/risky in the realm of what she used for shows.
But this one with gold details kind of matches the vibe too in a way.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Chisato Uramatsu was a nice surprise today.

Yes indeed, to think she was not even in the entry list, now with Yuna Aoki injury she has 2 competitions well deserved at my point of view, her spins and step sequence are great her jumps are ok, but overall a great skate, I think she deserved better PCS for her edges and skating skills. I was expecting more from Nana but well at least she nail that beautiful 3lz-3t that rightfully got a 2.00 goe, with room to grow, her double axel came out of nowhere but the mustake in the 3lo was not expected for me and she ended only with 59 points, sad because I really love her programs this year, anyway its almost impossible a japanese lady get a medal here but Im looking forward to clean skates no more.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Seriously poor Wakaba, is she injury? :'(
In think her body maturibg might have thrown off her jumps. Her triple jumps hace been a mess since the WC the year before last. You can see the look of aprehension on her face out there.

sakurano

Final Flight
Rika's short is weird but she's done well, good luck for the long one that's one of my favorite programs, I'm looking at her performance of The Ice 2019.

Poor Wakaba :( she fights so hard

great discovery of the skater Azusa she to things to show damage for the injury.

NANA did well

the Japanese juniors are a little regression but it is to better shine later.

gotoschool

Medalist
I am so impressed with Rika's performance at her first competition. Congratulations to her on the victory and landing all her triple axels and jumps this well even when injured. I really enjoyed Rika's expression, posture, artistry, spins and skating skills in the long program, for example, the Ina Bauer transitioning into a reprise of the movement she did at the end of her Beautiful Storm program last year in which she slid and turned with one knee on the ice with an arm lifted in the air. It was wonderful to see how much she lit up the crowd with the standing ovation and loud cheers.