2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

readernick

Medalist
Actually, I had the impression that 3A has traditionally been a sort of trademark pride for the Japanese ladies, possibly a vestigial tribute to Midori Ito and Mao Asada. Somehow, the translation from juniors to seniors have recently been less than stellar. What Japan needs is more competitive nerves and less natural talent dependency. Eteri’s greatest gifts to me has always been making sure all her charges have the steely competitive fire to shape up or they are out.

Yes, that is Eteri's greatest strength. (along with maximizing her skater's BV) However, it is likely the result of so much internal competition in the Eteri camp. They compete everyday against each other and thus actual competitions aren't that much more stressful. It is difficult to do this in Japan when the talented girls are more spread out between different coaches.

Grin

Medalist
less than 2 points difference between Satoko and Amber Glen after the short program. Judges are sendind Satoko a sertain message imho.

Joekaz

On the Ice
less than 2 points difference between Satoko and Amber Glen after the short program. Judges are sendind Satoko a sertain message imho.
Not really. Amber was clean and Satoko had 2 clear URs. She's lucky she's in 2nd.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
^

Hate to say it but I agree, she is lucky to be 2nd.

She's an exquisite skater no doubt but the jumps are...they detract from her programs they really do.

lusterfan

Final Flight

If anything, they are sending the message that they are still willing to back Satoko. She's receiving good PCS again, despite jump issues. She used to get hosed in PCS the minute her technical side went awry.

This is actually a favorable situation for Satoko, as the ball is now in her court. If she can nail the jumps, the PCS will follow (compared to before where nailing all her jumps still got her nothing). If she continues to keep the PCS lead, it'll be a nice cushion.

chloepoco

Medalist
^

Hate to say it but I agree, she is lucky to be 2nd.

She's an exquisite skater no doubt but the jumps are...they detract from her programs they really do.

I’m old school so don’t feel that Satoko’s jumps take anything away from her beautiful skating. She is grace and elegance on ice!

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I’m old school so don’t feel that Satoko’s jumps take anything away from her beautiful skating. She is grace and elegance on ice!

Without the jumps, she is, yes.

I think she got the PCS she deserves because her SP is quite unique, a different style to many of her programs.

Miles above Alina Zagitova's similarly themed FS.

I have mixed feelings about Satoko's FS though. Beautiful as it, the holocaust theme of Schindler's List is still a sensitive historical subject. I don't really have an issue with it but I've heard quite a few people take an offence to a Japanese skater using it, they were Allies with Nazi Germany.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't mean to generalize but I am so impressed with the Japanese ladies who seem to have a great balance of good skating skills/artistry and tech elements. Admittedly Satoko's jumps are a bit smallish but these ladies are solid skaters. I can't choose. rika is the leader if not for her BV being higher. Satoko's is so gorgeous to watch. I wonder who will be the second and third Japanese ladies after Rika.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I don't mean to generalize but I am so impressed with the Japanese ladies who seem to have a great balance of good skating skills/artistry and tech elements. Admittedly Satoko's jumps are a bit smallish but these ladies are solid skaters. I can't choose. rika is the leader if not for her BV being higher. Satoko's is so gorgeous to watch. I wonder who will be the second and third Japanese ladies after Rika.

Kaori, if she can skate clean is clear second IMHO.
Solid skating skills and performance skills and way better jumps than Satoko.

lusterfan

Final Flight

Right now I don't see any other skater challenging the established three (Rika, Kaori, Satoko). Wakaba has sparks of brilliance, but doesn't seem ready for a FS yet. Marin continues to have Marin issues, and just doesn't seem to have the ambition needed to fight for medals. Mako was on the rise after Skate Canada last season, but has plummeted to rock bottom this season. Mai has been the only one capable of spoiling the top 3, but serious health issues have most likely taken her out of the equation. The only one perhaps capable of making a splash would be Yuhana. The only way she can make up her reputation (PCS) deficit against the top 3 would be to have iron hard consistency if the others falter, but she hasn't been consistent enough.

Seems like the Worlds team has been all but decided already, although I still want to root for Wakaba!

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Was Rika popular in juniors?

I only started following last year. I was following another skater and people were saying Rika Kihira is not a threat at all even with triple axels.

I didn't think much of it but then I saw Beautiful Storm and the rest is history.

She's my absolute favorite skater. I find it fascinating someone can skate so beautifully and have so much tech.

She stresses me out though cuz I love her so much and there is so much talent there it kills me to think she's not getting all the gold medals.

I'm really hoping with this new found era where they call everything under the sun, Rika's textbook tech will finally benefit her.

Anyone know how that ankle is healing? Is the baby still lutzless?

icetug

Medalist
I've heard quite a few people take an offence to a Japanese skater using it, they were Allies with Nazi Germany.

Perhaps the better a skater is, the more people are concerned... Nicole Schott took the Schindler List as her FS in Olympic season and I don't remember many complaints about her choice :scratch2:.
Satoko's FS is one of the best programs this season and I can't wait to enjoy it again tomorrow (fingers crossed).

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Perhaps the better a skater is, the more people are concerned... Nicole Schott took the Schindler List as her FS in Olympic season and I don't remember many complaints about her choice :scratch2:.
Satoko's FS is one of the best programs this season and I can't wait to enjoy it again tomorrow (fingers crossed).

There was lots of whine about Shott, people acted like it was first time EVAH somebody used that piece for skating.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
There was lots of whine about Shott, people acted like it was first time EVAH somebody used that piece for skating.

Yes people did not like her using it, being German and all.

People can be a bit too sensitive sometimes, perhaps they shouldn't be.

But then again I can understand why many are.

It is not the music itself but the subject it raises.

readernick

Medalist

Satoko's FS is stunning. She's so good at expressing emotion and Lori Nichol is an amazing choreographer when she is inspired by a skater. Satoko, obviously, inspires her. I do think it would have been possible to convey this same emotion through music that dealt with a different subject. However, it is still my favorite ladies FS of the season. I hope for her sake that she is able to keep the URs to a minimum. I will enjoy the skate regardless of whether her jumps are rotated or not but she may not be happy with her score if the URs are a problem. I think her 3lz+3T will probably be under but I hope she is able to fully rotate her other jumps. Go Satoko!

Joekaz

On the Ice
Satoko's FS is stunning. She's so good at expressing emotion and Lori Nichols is an amazing choreographer when she is inspired by a skater. Satoko, obviously, inspires her. I do think it would have been possible to convey this same emotion through music that dealt with a different subject. However, it is still my favourite ladies FS of the season. I hope for her sake that she is able to keep the URs to a minimum. I will enjoy the skate regardless of whether her jumps are rotated or not but she may not be happy with her score if the URs are a problem. I think her 3lz+3T will probably be under but I hope she is able to fully rotate her other jumps. Go Satoko!
Satoko definitely should have been born in time for the 6.0 system. It would definitely have helped her.

Warwick360

Medalist
Not really. Amber was clean and Satoko had 2 clear URs. She's lucky she's in 2nd.

Lucky? More like under the protection of all powerful ISU. The fact that she beat Elizaveta in FS was quite preposterous. I truly expected her to land around 130 in FS.

Her programs are wonderful. She is magnificent. But the scores today was simply ridiculous.

Warwick360

Medalist
Yes people did not like her using it, being German and all.

People can be a bit too sensitive sometimes, perhaps they shouldn't be.

But then again I can understand why many are.

It is not the music itself but the subject it raises.

But that's ridiculous. Someone or people need to draw the line now. Otherwise, people will soon start saying (and already have), that you can't do Bollywood if not Indian or of such descent; perhaps they might even say the same for Egyptian or Irish style dance, considering how superfluous they have been. And what next? Can't be Asian to do Swan Lake?

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Lucky? More like under the protection of all powerful ISU. The fact that she beat Elizaveta in FS was quite preposterous. I truly expected her to land around 130 in FS

She didn’t beat Tuktamysheva in the free skate. She beat her overall due to her lead in SP and higher PCS. I don’t see the issue, especially when Tuktamysheva didn’t do herself any favors.