2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Pleasantly surprised by Marin Honda and Yuka Nagai's performance. Hope they keep it up and return to Kyoka Senshu status next season.

Joekaz

On the Ice
i hope Wakaba can get on the podium and get to go to 4CC at least!!
If Wakaba makes podium she will be at worlds. Kihira is the only one guaranteed anything. But Wakaba will have to clearly outskate Miyahara and Sakamoto from what I see from the judging so far. They have been better the last couple of seasons so they get a little boost. I think she should go for 3A in long. If its close she will get short changed.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Stayed up pretty late watching the SP, and I can't say it wasn't worth it, but the event in general left much to be desired. Whether it's nerves or lack of polishing, I think the Japanese ladies did not look very sharp relative to the rest of the world (well, mostly Russia).

Rika landed clean 3A's in the warm-up, and then proceeded to slightly botch the one that actually counted. I'm not sure she looked at peak shape as the jumps were more labored, spin levels missed, and speed was not to her usual standard. However, that's fine! She's still injured and shouldn't be peaking this early in the season anyway. I'd rather she save herself for Worlds, which is many months away, but where she absolutely cannot afford a 73 in the SP against the other ladies.

Satoko skates to a new style and it's good to see the crowd is still behind her! Uncharacteristic level losses on her spins though, where she normally racks up major points. Not to speculate, but I wonder if this is a result of working with Lee Barkell more this season rather than Mie Hamada, who really hones in on those levels…Good to see the PCS buffer she has, but her jumps don't stack well against pretty much all the top Japanese ladies. She will need the levels and GOE to stay afloat, especially with her carrot farm <<<.

Kaori was similarly not as polished compared to her Skate America SP. Judges were ready to lavish her with all the reigning national champion and well-deserved reputation points, but her combo just wasn't there today. Tack on the 2V she got on her spin, and her score ends up just shy of 70. Wakaba and Mako look hungry, so Kaori will have to stay focused for the FS!

Wakaba looks well conditioned compared to her GP outings. Although she performed her SP well at Skate America, she was noticeably much slower and looked exhausted by the second half of her program. I didn't see that today, so I'm hopeful for the FS! Japan and international judges still love her, so a podium finish for her should secure a Worlds spot! I'm not sure if attempting the 3A will be smart for her in the FS. Focusing on a clean program should be a priority, but going for broke might be necessary to crack the Top 3.

I'm actually most impressed with Mako! Spins are usually where she falls behind, but she got all her levels! She was the cleanest top lady today, and really just lacked reputation points due to her early season struggles. I'm hopeful for the FS, where a clean performance should find her well at the top. She looks to be getting out of the rut she was in during the beginning of the season, and is building good momentum!

Joekaz

On the Ice
Best not to speak in absolutes like that. I'll bet my life's savings that a Sakamoto/Miyahara/Higuchi/Kihira finish would not send Higuchi to Worlds.
I agree. I was assuming Kihira was in the top three, meaning it was Sakamoto or Miyahara out.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I agree. I was assuming Kihira was in the top three, meaning it was Sakamoto or Miyahara out.

Rika (no Hongo anymore, so I've no problem referring to by first name these days) looked shaky, and there's very little cushion between first and fourth. Her finishing off the podium is not out of the question.

That said, she absolutely must go to Worlds regardless of her finish at Nationals.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I can't understand or read a word of it, but the girls are so nice together. It made me cry too!

My favorite part was the coach saying she believes Mihara will come back next season and be "a scary presence " for Sakamoto. Certainly hope that prediction comes true!

Joekaz

On the Ice
Rika (no Hongo anymore, so I've no problem referring to by first name these days) looked shaky, and there's very little cushion between first and fourth. Her finishing off the podium is not out of the question.

That said, she absolutely must go to Worlds regardless of her finish at Nationals.
Again, I agree. Kihira is a lock no matter where she finishes. Its just a battle for the other two spots, most likely between Wakaba, Satoko, and Kaori. The top two of that threesome will probably go.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Again, I agree. Kihira is a lock no matter where she finishes. Its just a battle for the other two spots, most likely between Wakaba, Satoko, and Kaori. The top two of that threesome will probably go.

Personally, if Sakamoto and Miyahara both finish fourth or better, then I give Wakaba a 50% chance of making Worlds with a second place finish, and a 20% chance with third.

But that at least is debatable. A non-injured Kihira going to Worlds is not.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Personally, if Sakamoto and Miyahara both finish fourth or better, then I give Wakaba a 50% chance of making Worlds with a second place finish, and a 20% chance with third.

But that at least is debatable. A non-injured Kihira going to Worlds is not.
I sort of agree but in a different way. I don't think either would jump over Wakaba, but the judges will give them a scoring boost over Wakaba because of more recent success. So the net result is the same. Wakaba will have to soundly beat them to go.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I sort of agree but in a different way. I don't think either would jump over Wakaba, but the judges will give them a scoring boost over Wakaba because of more recent success. So the net result is the same. Wakaba will have to soundly beat them to go.

I think we actually agree in the same way. You brought up the podium so I went with that, but the point difference is far more important. Beating out Miyahara and Sakamoto by a point or two is almost meaningless. I think it will take at least a ten point spread to give the selection committee cold feet about them.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
If Marin Honda lands a 4T, 4S, and a 4Lz 3T combo and makes the podium, then she will go to Worlds. But I don't think that's very likely to happen either.

Joekaz

On the Ice
If Marin Honda lands a 4T, 4S, and a 4Lz 3T combo and makes the podium, then she will go to Worlds. But I don't think that's very likely to happen either.
Wakaba has been landing 3A in practice. That's why he said that I believe.