2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 106 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I admire Bradie for her hard work, she continues to improve.
She's lost most of that awkward, stiff "gangliness" (is that a word?), and becoming more and more beautiful to watch.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
I thought Bradie wasn’t artistic enough till I saw her live. I feel like her skills are more apparent when you see how she she moves in the entire rink. She’s really worked so hard the past few years it really is something that should be praised. She hasn’t just rested on consistent jumps and put out empty programs, she’s been working on improving her second mark. It’s nice that some skaters are very artistic innately but not everyone can be that and certainly not many are that at the moment.

I appreciate bradie’s hard work on artistry, she seems very dedicated. But sometimes you just don’t have that IT factor that other people like Sasha Cohen innately have. And that’s not going to change by working harder, either you have star quality or you don’t unfortunately for bradie.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I appreciate bradie’s hard work on artistry, she seems very dedicated. But sometimes you just don’t have that IT factor that other people like Sasha Cohen innately have. And that’s not going to change by working harder, either you have star quality or you don’t unfortunately for bradie.

That's a bit harsh. Just because Bradie (capital B, like you capitalised Sasha Cohen) isn't naturally artistic, it doesn't mean she has no star quality.
It's true the US Ladies have struggled in recent years but she is unquestionably their top senior lady and has been for two years now, and continues to grow as a skater and a performer. She doesn't sit back and coast along on her reputation as US (Senior at least) number 1 either.
Sasha was far from perfect herself, even a hot mess at times. Inconsistent, struggled with her jumps and rarely ever skated clean long programs. Not sure if it's true but I've heard many times she slacked off with her training and was notoriously difficult to coach.
Sasha's issues cost her an Olympic title and at least one World title, maybe two.

macy

Record Breaker
That's a bit harsh. Just because Bradie (capital B, like you capitalised Sasha Cohen) isn't naturally artistic, it doesn't mean she has no star quality.
Sasha was far from perfect herself, even a hot mess at times. Inconsistent, struggled with her jumps and rarely ever skated clean long programs. Not sure if it's true but I've heard many times she slacked off with her training and was notoriously difficult to coach.

can we please not be petty and try to start fights :palmf:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In light of the conversation surrounding negative comments, here is what Alysa Liu had to say during an interview:

Don’t let comments stop you from what you can achieve. Just work on what you’re trying to learn, become the best you can be and prove them wrong.

It makes me a bit sad that a child even has to prepare a response like this to her detractors.

me too, but on the other hand, Alysa is at a good age to be able to make this a mental habit.

I think it's very well done that the key people in her life are guiding and helping shape this habit. I read that at Lake Placid, her dad and her coach kept her busy between times with long walks around the lake and window-shopping sprees. That way she had company, activity, and she didn't have free time to sneak a look at social media ... or to worry about her upcoming competitions.

Also, her circle of friends at home aren't from the skating world. so that's healthy too and gives her a broader perspective on the world.

I hope that all the young skaters can be reinforced with this idea.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
It's true the US Ladies have struggled in recent years but she is unquestionably their top senior lady and has been for two years now, and continues to grow as a skater and a performer. She doesn't sit back and coast along on her reputation as US (Senior at least) number 1 either.
Am on my phone so the capitalization sometimes doesn’t work with autocorrect. Star quality is something that draws the audience in naturally, difficult to describe but a certain “je ne sais quoi” that Bradie just doesn’t have. Not all skaters have that, which is fine. But I find myself forcing to sit through her performances rather than being sucked into it. Sasha was far from perfect, but she was beautiful and interesting to watch mistakes or not.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finally watched the short program from Egna,Italy. Isabelle Inthisone's short program is great. I think she is special. :thumbsup:

ssffww

On the Ice
Am on my phone so the capitalization sometimes doesn’t work with autocorrect. Star quality is something that draws the audience in naturally, difficult to describe but a certain “je ne sais quoi” that Bradie just doesn’t have. Not all skaters have that, which is fine. But I find myself forcing to sit through her performances rather than being sucked into it. Sasha was far from perfect, but she was beautiful and interesting to watch mistakes or not.

After seeing Bradie live, I beg to differ. "Je ne sais quoi" is very subjective.

katymay

Medalist

She has wonderful spins though. Too bad spins are not valued enough. If they ever split figure skating into 'artistic' and 'athletic' they will hopefully assign more value to spins on the artistic side. I want Bradie to succeed in the worst way-her family has had a mighty struggle to keep her on the ice over the years. (Single mom-not much money). She also has wonderful speed.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
After seeing Bradie live, I beg to differ. "Je ne sais quoi" is very subjective.

:agree: I have seen Bradie multiple times in practice, competition and shows and she's wonderful. I will say that in the past it didn't translate if someone was watching her on tv only, but once one sees her live it's a totally different story. She has grown so much with her skating.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
That first season I thought Bradie was good on the tech side but the choreography and performance were unimpressive. Last year we all noticed her improvement. Now she is really coming into her own. She does have a special quality on the ice IMO. She has a commanding presence. I am on board as a fan and I wish her the best!! When she skates I will no doubt have my heart in my throat as I do with other skaters I invest in emotionally.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me three about seeing Bradie live. Even in 2017, I found her compelling to watch, particularly her SP.

I say this every time Bradie is discussed, why, or why, are her powerful SPs disregarded as though she never skated them?

I agree that some skaters have an intangible connection with the audience. My favorite skater, past, and favorite skater, present, come to mind ;) but that doesn’t mean that all other skaters lack it. :biggrin:

Last edited:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Me three about seeing Bradie live. Even in 2017, I found her compelling to watch, particularly her SP.

I say this every time Bradie is discussed, why, or why, are her powerful SPs disregarded as though she never skated them?

I agree that some skaters have an intangible connection with the audience. My favorite skater, past, and favorite skater, present, come to mind ;) but that doesn’t mean that all other skaters lack it. :biggrin:

Just wondering, who are your favorite skaters past and present?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just wondering, who are your favorite skaters past and present?

She's been known to mention this: Toller Cranston, Jason Brown, Donovan Carillo, and others if I'm not mistaken. All :agree: skaters.

Sorry @elhenry, I swept in here for you. ;)

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Czisny may have been a fine artistic skater, but technically she had her problems. You never knew which Alissa was going to show up at a competition: the one who landed all her planned jumps, or the one who doubled a few triples or had unexpected falls. And Alissa was slow.

Technically, Bradie is by far the more consistent skater of the two, and has more speed as well.

I saw Alissa live in a show and her skating was really boring and, as you say, VERY slow, as well as really tentative, and she wasn't keeping up in the group numbers well at all. That sounds really harsh but I have never been less impressed with a skater in a live performance, compared to seeing her on TV. Not to criticize Alissa as a person or to take anything away from her athletic and academic and life accomplishments, however -- not at all. But the comparison between Alissa and Bradie kind of took me aback -- for my money, any comparison between Bradie's and Alissa's skating comes out with Bradie clearly ahead.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

I used to feel the same until I saw her live. Something about her close up on screen just isn’t the same as seeing her in the context of the whole rink. I wish I had the $ to attend more competitions so I could analyze what actually clicked for me about her at 4CC. I think her speed and skill is more apparent and that makes her interesting and exciting to watch in person.

macy

Record Breaker
:agree: I have seen Bradie multiple times in practice, competition and shows and she's wonderful. I will say that in the past it didn't translate if someone was watching her on tv only, but once one sees her live it's a totally different story. She has grown so much with her skating.

i will second this. i ice monitored the senior ladies SP at nationals this year, so speaking from a board-side stand point, she does have the ability to pull you in. TV doesn't do skaters justice...emotion doesn't translate like it does in real life. she really is a powerful skater.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw Alissa live in a show and her skating was really boring and, as you say, VERY slow, as well as really tentative, and she wasn't keeping up in the group numbers well at all. That sounds really harsh but I have never been less impressed with a skater in a live performance, compared to seeing her on TV. Not to criticize Alissa as a person or to take anything away from her athletic and academic and life accomplishments, however -- not at all. But the comparison between Alissa and Bradie kind of took me aback -- for my money, any comparison between Bradie's and Alissa's skating comes out with Bradie clearly ahead.

To be fair, Alissa had hip surgery that failed, and had to have more surgery. She was off the ice after the second surgery for more than a year and had to leave competitive skating for good. She's probably slower than ever because she may have to be careful with what she does on the ice, and of course that is going to make it hard for her to keep up in group numbers.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I agree that Bradie skating is much more engaging in person than when watching on a screen. She is also such a hard worker which I admire.