2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Women Free Skate | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Women Free Skate

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I just watched Gabby‘s skate. It was heartbreaking to see her cry in the K&C. But... considering all things, it wasn‘t as bad. Her SP was very good and even though she had lots of troubles in the FS, this was her first competition after being out for so long. For that, she did well.

I was very surprised to see her have such a low score, though. And I might have not watched closely enough but I only counted 3 falls but she got 4 points deduction. The 2A-3T wasn‘t a fall to me. The 3Lz-2T, 3F and 2A in the beginning were nice too. I mean; yes, it was a bad skate but this is Nationals... do they have to lower her confidence even further? They could have easily given her a few points more in the technical score and PCS too... I know I‘m ranting but this seems unfair and I worry for Gabby. I know this was just about getting out there but this must have been quite a blow to her confidence.

Alaine deserved the win, though, no question. Congrats to her, that was quite some skate! Really, really great.

Honestly i don't know why they were so harsh with her. Calling a fall something that is not a fall and giving her so low pcs. I know that because of her rough start of the season she's not the n.1 but she can be the first Canadian at worlds if they send her. She could have been easily on the podium.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
catching up with the ladies

Alaine Chartrand: this is the year of the comeback skaters and she should be on the poster. finally she nailed it! perfect music for her comeback (as a whole season tbh) I’m very happy for her victory

Gabrielle Daleman: getting back on competitions after all her issues it’s not easy and she showed a lot of bravery and the will to fight back. She made a lot of mistakes, ran out of fuel, but given the circumstances it’s totally understandable. This is not a defeat, but just a step on her recovery. The program is beautiful, she can nail it and hopefully she will.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
-5 GOE for TSN for not only botching the "é" in Véronik's name in the first day broadcast, but also for not having fixed it by the second day. C'mon, guys, basic graphic design.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
And Osmond usually makes mistakes.

But obviously Yume, not as many as others did who attended the same events. Example, for 2017-18, Kaetlyn never missed a podium the entire season. Rare, not only for last season but by today's standard and I'm not talking juniors, only the BIG LEAGUE.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Has anyone predicted the ladies results?

I think Roo87 came close.

How exciting for Canadian Women skating. With Kaetlyn contemplating, Alaine and Gabby working on redemption seasons and Aurora and Alison getting ready to fly. I am so looking forward to the next few years.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I wonder how worlds selections are going to go.. I assume Skate Canada will still send Gabby and I assume Alaine. IF Gabby is ready that is. They will come to that decision in time. If for instance they dont take both Gabby and Alaine, Alaine is going to have alot of pressure on her to place in the top 10 to secure two spots for Canada still. The other ladies dont quite have the all around package yet to compete and finish in the top 15 Id say.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
But obviously Yume, not as many as others did who attended the same events. Example, for 2017-18, Kaetlyn never missed a podium the entire season. Rare, not only for last season but by today's standard and I'm not talking juniors, only the BIG LEAGUE.
I would say not enough costly mistakes to make her fall off podium. There are skaters who can make 2 or 3 costly mistakes but have enough high average GOE and PCS to finish above skaters who went clean or did only one mistake. And Osmond is one of those skaters, and often finished on podium despite making more mistakes than those behind her. Which i understand given the quality of her jumps and her SS.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I would say not enough costly mistakes to make her fall off podium. There are skaters who can make 2 or 3 costly mistakes but have enough high average GOE and PCS to finish above skaters who went clean or did only one mistake. And Osmond is one of those skaters, and often finished on podium despite making more mistakes than those behind her. Which i understand given the quality of her jumps and her SS.

As we have seen with the top males skaters, there is no reward without risk. When one skates that fast and jumps that big as Kaetlyn does, expects errors to occur. Her main goal in competitions. was to 'aim for excellence and not perfection', and it appears this strategy worked for her, similar to the top men Yuzu, Javier, Nathan and others.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I wouldn't call that a risk since i don't think that skaters choose to skate or jump "little".
Risk for me is technical difficulty as unusual jumps/combos, transitions, etc.
There was nothing that risky in Osmond programs. It's just that the execution was well done.

Roo87

Medalist
As we have seen with the top males skaters, there is no reward without risk. When one skates that fast and jumps that big such as Kaetlyn does, expects errors to occur. Her main goal in competitions. was to 'aim for excellence and not perfection', and it appears this strategy worked for her, similar to the top men Yuzu, Javier, Nathan and others.

I hope Kaetlyn comes back because I want to see her HUGE GOE'S for her HUGE JUMPS. woo.

Roo87

Medalist
I wouldn't call that a risk since i don't think that skaters choose to skate or jump "little".
Risk for me is technical difficulty as unusual jumps/combos, transitions, etc.
There was nothing that risky in Osmond programs. It's just that the execution was well done.

You don't think that having twice the speed going into a jump makes it more difficult? It sure does, and the risk is more because if you fall, that's gonna leave a mark.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
You don't think that having twice the speed going into a jump makes it more difficult? It sure does, and the risk is more because if you fall, that's gonna leave a mark.

If you need that to rotate your jumps it's not a risk. It's a need.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I hope Kaetlyn comes back because I want to see her HUGE GOE'S for her HUGE JUMPS. woo.

Me too. I wish more people have the opportunity to her live. In addition to her huge jumps with nicely held landing edges, which is rare to see these days, she really fills the arena with her superb ice coverage, sophisticated presentation, and connection to the audience. One can really see how she flies across the ice when she is in the same warm-up group as other strong international competitors.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Roo87 came close.

How exciting for Canadian Women skating. With Kaetlyn contemplating, Alaine and Gabby working on redemption seasons and Aurora and Alison getting ready to fly. I am so looking forward to the next few years.

Fine line between interesting and ugly. If Canada doesn't get two spots it will be a mess for Canada (and a miss)