2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Women Free Skate | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Women Free Skate

rain

Record Breaker
Well, nobody knows better than Alaine what Gabby's going through. So thrilled for Alaine. Nobody was even close for her today And what an amazing result for Aurora Cotop. A little surprised Gabby finished behind even Larkyn, but looking at it, Larkyn did have some jumps where she would have gotten positive GOE, and I don't think Gabby had any.

This was not what I expected in a million years. Exciting, though.

I really hope this doesn't set Gabby back in her recovery, both physically and mentally. Like I said in another post. Obviously Skate Canada should still send her to worlds. I'd send her to 4CC, too, to get another competition under her belt, as long as she feels ready. This felt too soon — not necessarily getting out to compete, but getting out to compete at such a big competition, where there were so many expectations.

DonnaR

On the Ice
I'm so happy for Alaine but heartbroken for Gabby. I hope Skate Canada still sends Gabby to 4 Continents and Worlds. Considering she's only been back on the ice for 6 weeks, I think she just needed more training time.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I really don't see how Gabby going to 4CC is the best idea for her long term. She needs more time. I'm on the fence if Worlds should even be on her radar this year.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I really don't see how Gabby going to 4CC is the best idea for her long term. She needs more time. I'm on the fence if Worlds should even be on her radar this year.

I think they'll give her the choice. And she and her team can figure out what's best for her.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That must have been hard for Tracy, since she works with Gabby

- - - Updated - - -

I think they will to. Mike just said as much.

Yeah, Mike is basically saying they'll give her team the choice of what to do.

rain

Record Breaker
Yup. Unless they send Aurora to get her minimums. Then she could replace Veronik.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they should send Aurora somewhere to get her minimums, either 4CC or a senior B, stat. I think they should do the same for Alison Schumaker.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
WHAT? Kevin Reynolds and Alaine are together?!

I long ago resigned myself to just never understanding one single thing about Kevin Reynolds. But I'm happy for Alaine's comeback, it was a great skate.

Sorry guys, I'm going to go stare into a box that I've labeled Worlds 2017 Ladies FS. I've taped my phone to the bottom of it and I'll come back out when I need air and/or have stopped crying.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I long ago resigned myself to just never understanding one single thing about Kevin Reynolds. But I'm happy for Alaine's comeback, it was a great skate.

Sorry guys, I'm going to go stare into a box that I've labeled Worlds 2017 Ladies FS. I've taped my phone to the bottom of it and I'll come back out when I need air and/or have stopped crying.

Don't be too sad Jill. Gabby did skate a lovely SP at this event :)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think they should send Aurora somewhere to get her minimums, either 4CC or a senior B, stat. I think they should do the same for Alison Schumaker.

They can't send her to 4CCs because she doesn't have any senior minimums right now. She was entered in a CS event to get them, but WD (probably related to those injuries we heard about). But they can send her to a B. I think they will, although I'm not sure if they'll put her in for Worlds or have her as first alternate, and let her focus on JW. We'll see.

Ziotic

Medalist
You know upon reflection part of me is happy that Judges didn’t spare anyone or prop them up for bad skates the way other national competitions have.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Unfortunately only got to watch the last 4 skaters, but congrats to Alaine! Awful to see Gabby struggle, but she fought for it. Am lukewarm/not a fan of sending her to 4CC/Worlds at the moment unless there really are no others with the minimums. Worlds, maybe. Tbh Canada does not have a lot of depth in women's skating for such a heavyweight nation, but idk. (Not that they necessarily need it, but with Kaetlyn out for the season it feels kinda empty, esp on the GP circuit...)

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
So happy for Alaine, crushed for Gabby, but absolutely over the moon that Veronik might finally get to go to worlds!

Gabby’s program has so much potential. Clearly she is undertrained. I hope she can find her way over the next few months.

Also, really glad Alaine kept her long for another season, and got to realize its potential.

I wish Michelle Long could somehow have made it onto next year’s national team, she skates with so much heart. I admire her and her love for the sport.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
You're the only one here suggesting the possibility of him being gay fam.
I did not suggest anything. I was merely wondering as to why you were surprised. I personally have never thought that he was gay. Actually I have not thought about his personal life or possible orientation at all.