2019 Canadian Nats: Ladies FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nats: Ladies FS

I would also say that for Canada in Korea (as much as I love Patrick) it could have gone differently if others hadn’t also skated poorly.

Still, that's how you win a medal: skate better than the other guy. :yes:

Canada had past, then-current, or then-future world champions in every discipline. Patrick may have been on the back slope of his career by then, but he held up his end.

Ziotic

Medalist
Still, that's how you win a medal: skate better than the other guy. :yes:

Canada had past, then-current, or then-future world champions in every discipline. Patrick may have been on the back slope of his career by then, but he held up his end.

Completely agree! Just that ice is slippery and nothing is garunteed!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
seems like those who think along those lines haven't learned their lessons....

third canadian girl last year didn't even get to the free skate in both olympics and worlds... that didn't prevent Canada from winning the team event, the bronze in ladies and then at worlds of winning the coveted ladies championship.... you need one skater, not 20 to be on the top of the podium... and you know, since you are taking us there... I faintly remember that the Russian #3 girl ended up 19th.

Canadian ladies has been the weaker discipline in Canada, traditionally at least. However, it was very encouraging to see the fight every girl had. It was an event of comebacks.... comeback to the top.. comeback from injury... etc... a few of our next gen girls skated senior : it is encouraging to see that some of them have already high quality elements.

Sure, sure, but let's wait for this year WC - I think that many posts that are often coming from some posters here won't appear anymore. Of course, ice is slippery but it's common sense that in the long run the strategy: "pick one from many strong ones" works better than "pick one from the only strong one".

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sure, sure, but let's wait for this year WC - I think that many posts that are often coming from some posters here won't appear anymore. Of course, ice is slippery but it's common sense that in the long run the strategy: "pick one from many strong ones" works better than "pick one from the only strong one".

depth is a great asset... of course. if your top skater falters, there is another not far behind. We all know that, but you know i find it ridiculous that countries with large population like Russia (144.5 Million) USA (325.7 Million) or even Japan (126.8 Million) come nagging Canadians for having very little depth... depth needs a large pool of skaters and Canada's population is only 36.71 Million... inferior to California for instance (39.54 million) ... So, the fact that a couple years ago Canada placed two ladies on the world's podium and then one of these won worlds the following year is simply amazing. Yes, it would have been even more amazing if our third lady had also made top 10... Successes of Canadian sport speak for themselves... smaller pool of athletes, and until recently, very little funding was given to elite athletes (this changed in preparation for Vancouver 2010 where the Own the Podium was created).

When i read comments denigrating Canadian sport, I sort of smirk... because in my youth, Canada was very rarely on any podiums in any sports at olympics... the funding was just not there and it wasn't a priority. Back then, the large Soviet Union was in direct competition with America... for all the reasons we won't get into... Canada has always been in the shadow... though in figure skating, as it is a sport loved by Canadians, there were successful athletes, especially men.

So, now that the big cloud leaves room for a bit of Canadian glorious and shiny light, people complain? People diss the country for lack of depth? People say, "well if the others didn't falter.... ?

Why not just look at that light and rejoice that someone else made it? Doesn't it make things more interesting? Especially someone with such a background story like Kaetlyn and a great personality. I mean, if you'd ask her if her medal counts less because there is no depth in Canada, she would probably remind you that she didn't make the team in 2016... She may also just smirk, like i am doing right now, because when such argument take place, one just understands that they come from a very narrow mindset.

YMMV

I am proud of Alaine for keeping her calm.. That's the only way she can almost control all her rotation issues.

I am proud of Aurora who missed so much training in the fall, overcoming a fracture of the pelvis (OUCH!)

I am proud of Veronik who missed what??? 2 o 3 years of competition with her heel problem. It was her first medal too...

I am proud of Gabby who put herself at risk, after taking care of her problems far away from the rink. She was not ready for a FP but she needed to start somewhere... the same Gabby was seen cheering the boys after and was beaming and clapping like crazy when her teammate Joseph Phan skated a relatively clean program.

These ladies worked hard and gave the fans a great show. I am proud of all of them

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Of course. But that's not the situation in Canada, and I don't think that the depth present in Russia is something we'll see here anytime soon. Our ladies are not as strong as the Russian team, as a whole (well, only the Japanese really are at all). That's the truth. Hopefully the success of Gabby and Kaetlyn in the last couple of seasons will help.

This Nationals was a rough one for sure, with Kaetlyn not competing and Gabby just starting to work her way back. Definitely not as strong as the last 2-3 Nationals. There were 4 triple-triples done in the senior ladies SP, and two were ur (although Alaine has one that she did in the FS - she fell on the jump in the SP, and there are a couple others who have done 3-3s in comp before). That's not good. But, I was expecting that coming in, especially with Gabby taking time off. I was realistic about it.

I agree with you that I think Aurora has potential, and I think she's with a good coach (Ravi) to keep improving. Hopefully she stays healthy.

Another positive, is that although I pointed out the low number of triple triples attempted, it was mostly the junior girls doing them. Alison Schumacher's was clean, and Olivia Gran and Emily Bausback had < on theirs. Aurora also had a 3T-3T (not consistent, but she could do it) before the injury, so I expect that will be back by next season at least. Then in the Jr ladies, Hannah Dawson fell on her 3T-3T here, but had it clean on the JGP and in other domestic comps. And Emma Bulawka was attempting 3T-3T and 2A-3T. Certainly not impressive by Russian ladies standards, but at least the younger ones are trying more on the tech side compared to some of the veterans.

Also, Kaiya Ruiter (the 12 y.o. novice champ) had a clean 3T-3T in her FS, and one with negative GOE in her SP. And 2A+2T+2Lo in the FS. She was only doing up to 3Lo here, but still that's positive.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Named to 4CCs

Alaine Chartrand
Véronik Mallet
Larkyn Austman

Worlds

Alaine Chartrand
TBD*
TBD*

* TBD after 4CCs

melgirl25

Medalist
No Gabby? Do you think she was offered and declined? May make sense to skip four continents.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
No Gabby? Do you think she was offered and declined? May make sense to skip four continents.

She might have declined since she's still working her way back and 4CC is pretty soon, so skipping would give her more time to keep training and get closer to where she can be. If it wasn't offered to her, it's probably because they're using it to see who they should send to worlds. She's still in contention for a worlds spot without the 4CC assignment since they already know what she can do, so giving it to Veronik and Larkyn (also Larkyn doesn't have TES mins) would help them see how they compare internationally.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
For love of god folks, Kaetlyn is coming back next season and she's going to slay. It'll be ok!!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The final result is shocking and sad. It was almost a torture to see Gabby's struggles at Nationals although we all know that she has health issues so had to leave the rink for a while. I didn't expect at all that she couldn't even make it to the podium. Though I was glad that Veronik ended up on the podium after her long break due to serious injuries. I thought she was retired, but she is not. She is also a fighter to be recognized.

Roo87

Medalist
seems like those who think along those lines haven't learned their lessons....

third canadian girl last year didn't even get to the free skate in both olympics and worlds... that didn't prevent Canada from winning the team event, the bronze in ladies and then at worlds of winning the coveted ladies championship.... you need one skater, not 20 to be on the top of the podium... and you know, since you are taking us there... I faintly remember that the Russian #3 girl ended up 19th.

Canadian ladies has been the weaker discipline in Canada, traditionally at least. However, it was very encouraging to see the fight every girl had. It was an event of comebacks.... comeback to the top.. comeback from injury... etc... a few of our next gen girls skated senior : it is encouraging to see that some of them have already high quality elements.

Even looking back at Sochi, the women were the weakest. Kaetlyn wasn't on anyone's radar, and delivered in both programs of the team event. Her short program should have been above the USA's Ashley Wagner. In the four years since Sochi, Kaetlyn has broken her leg, missed a year of competition, only been national champion once, followed by her first world podium, 2 olympic medals, and now is the current world champion. All in FOUR years.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Happy for Alaine. Way to go :thumbsup: Aurora looks promising and can very well be a contender in the near future. Sad to see Gabby struggle. Maybe her main goal is next season.

Four continents will be interesting. And hopefully the Canadian women will again raise at worlds and keep at least two spots. All the best to the three who are chosen :)

Really, you changed the right when I said I liked them? ��

Which ones? The PacMan?

what are you talking about?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I’m so happy for Alaine sad for Gabby the beautiful and foxy. Love her eye makeup. I never could stand stuff near my eyes. A little mascara. She looked stunning. I was so upset to hear her say she was doing great in practice
. I used to say she’d do very well with her attack and confidence,it seems gone for now. Gabby you can do a huge triple toes x 3 toe that we love. You have nothing to fear. It is skating. Study Michelle Kwan. She always said it is fun not brain surgery. Change your perspective and maybe take some classes. Look at Alaine when she branches out! I wanted to see Katelyn but she looks well. My how glam she is on ice and in the stands just a regular gal.

Love you ladies all three!!!!