2019 US Nationals Pairs Free Skate | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2019 US Nationals Pairs Free Skate

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I seriously, seriously doubt it. They are in the top 10 in the world and he has an apparently serious injury. If USFS has any sense both those items would be taken into consideration. OK having read above that is wrong. They are still getting funding but less than last year. I don’t know how that shakes out in terms of actual dollars. I will tell you he’s definitely not sitting in a corner crying. I just spoke to him 10 minutes ago.

How much did you have to pay this time? I hope you don't have to eat beans with rice only :)

Carolla5501

On the Ice
For those of you in the know: have the Knierims put their funding in jeopardy with this finish? I'm hoping the USFS would still realize they have the most potential internationally

Why?....

They consistently don’t land their side by side jumps. They have not exactly set the world on fire.

I think they actually have less potential. They seem to be sliding backwards ever since the team event at the Olympic Games

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Why?....

They consistently don’t land their side by side jumps. They have not exactly set the world on fire.

I think they actually have less potential. They seem to be sliding backwards ever since the team event at the Olympic Games

Yeah, the commentators always talk about how they could challenge for the top spots in the world if it weren't for the SBS jumps, but like it or not, jumps are part of the pairs competition.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I've just watched Stellato/Bartholomay's FS and I simply can't with her mouth wide open during most of the program and the horrible glimmering eye shadow taken directly from Cirque du Soleil. On the side note, her reactions in the K&C are similar to the emotions expressed by Stepanova (at least this season). Anyway, congratulations on repeating bronze medal. I'm curious to see if they're sent to the 4CC.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How much did you have to pay this time? I hope you don't have to eat beans with rice only :)

Lol you are silly. Did not have to pay. Was standing in the autograph line for the top 4 men after short and ladies medalists and he came be bopping over. I told him I was sorry he was injured and he said it’s all good, told him I loved them and was going to get him to autograph my program but he said we will do it at the brunch when my wife is there. Yes, good plan. But positive energy just flows out of him. Much more than any of the other skaters I’ve met (not that I’ve met many. Did have a pleasant short chat with Scott Hamilton, and ran into Bradie and Alyssa in the hallways at various times.)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really felt for the Knerims with the injury.. But with four or five major errors that affected their program (pcs) how did they score almost 110 pts? Only in America.

I wondered about that too. But looking at the protocols, the marks were pretty much right. Every error was a downgrade and minus GOE. Everything they did up to their usual brilliance earned points for GOE. I think the cumulative effect of the errors piled up, but looking at element by element, it's fine. Their component scores were way down from their usual.

https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2019/27958/CAT019SEG037.html

gold12345

Medalist
Why?....

Because Alexa is one of the best pair talents to ever come out of the US. They have a stronger twist, more explosive throws, and better athleticism than most pairs in the world. If you can't see the potential I don't know what to tell you. There are so many pair elements that have nothing to do with jumps. Chris's 3S has been much better this season, so that's a start. Alexa has been in a funk, but she's usually a very strong jumper so I believe it's only a matter of time until she feels comfortable again. They have worked with so many coaches in the past year on their technique; Aljona tried to change everything about their skating. Any time you change something, you need actual time to rebuild your muscle memory and feel fully secure with what you're doing. All the changes seem to have left Alexa feeling less sure of herself on the jumps this season. Their throws have looked more comfortable as the season has gone on though.

I don't think they're sliding backwards, I see it as they're sliding in a crazy squiggly line. This year has been all about taking risks. Some of it will work, some of it won't, but at least they haven't been afraid to try.

I get that you're not a fan, but objectively, they've been our strongest pair team for years. They have set the world on fire more than the other US pairs. Even without jumps, they usually have the best US pair scores, so imagine if/when they both land the jump at the same time. Hopefully they aren't too discouraged by this one competition where Chris was affected by a bad wrist injury. They deserve support from their federation.