2019 World Championships Ladies Short Program | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Ladies Short Program

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Great competition. So many ladies skated lights out, almost all were a pleasure to watch. The placements looked just to me. That brings me to Alina, she's not exactly a favorite skater of mine, but she showed amazing nerves and content, very formidable. If only it wasn't for the music and the cuts that are both grating on my ears, I would really enjoy her skate! I hope she gets something much better next season. Evgenia was a very pleasant surprise, she's coming back and it's delightful to watch her, even if her confidence isn't back yet and it showed. I hope she can keep it up in the free and leave the competition relieved, regardless of the placement. I preferred Mariah to Bradie, she sold the music more. EunSoo did really well, Elizabet was amazing, and I am confident ofia can come back with a vengeance in the free. She seemed a bit nervous here, as did Satoko. Hopefully both let go of their nerves in the free, Satoko especially is a fantastic performer! Too bad about Rika's mistake, but she's very young and still learning to cope with the pressure of being the biggest favorite. This was another experience for her, a disappointment for sure, but she can still come back with a spectacular free. My two personal winners were Kaori and Elizabet, so much power and speed. :]

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Well that's good, because even the ISU can't be that knowingly stupid.

Ok, they can.

ISU can have a fight with USBs, of course they can be that idiotic. I'm glad that was an error though, really a flight of 2 is just :unsure:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Alaine qualified for the free, I am taking that as a win!

Really disappointed in Alaine. I am sure she did her best. But she used to be a top ten skater and now we are left hoping she can clingon to skate in the fs. She undoubtedly has to think does she want to continue. Canada most likely will be down to onelady and if Gabby recovers or Kaetlyn comes backAlaine's mediocrity or lack of consistency andimprovement willnotstandher well.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Wow, Nicole made it to the penultimate group :eeking:.....ah, Loena! If you hadn't fallen you would have been in the 70 range....too bad.

yude

Record Breaker
I almost cried watching Satoko's performance, and her PCS nearly made me cry again for another reason.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I almost cried watching Satoko's performance, and her PCS nearly made me cry again for another reason.

Same here. Some things are beyond repair now and I just try to enjoy a performance with no look on scores. This tactic seems to be realy effective today looking at scores and perfromances.

SXTN

Final Flight

She wasn't that good today to be honest. Something was missing. I caught myself wiping off crumbs from my couch during her performance.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I was curious and compared 2As (as I heard Satoko's and Sofia's jumps are so small ;)):

Satoko jumped 0.36 and 2.18 m and Sofia 0.35 and 2.40 while Kaori 0.36 and 3.20 and Alina 0.38 and 2.04.

The highest 2As were jumped by Eunsoo and Mariah: 0.49 m, the longest was Kaori's: 3.20.
Speed was also interesting. Kaori was the fasted with 20 km/h if I remember it correctly.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I liked the judging here, besides Zagitova 1-2 points overscored.

Elizabet has a real chance of winning this if she skates a clean free skate with a 4S (and i'd assume some mistake from Zagitova)

I was curious and compared 2As (as I heard Satoko's and Sofia's jumps are so small ;)):

Satoko jumped 0.36 and 2.18 m and Sofia 0.35 and 2.40 while Kaori 0.36 and 3.20 and Alina 0.38 and 2.04.

The highest 2As were jumped by Eunsoo and Mariah: 0.49 m, the longest was Kaori's: 3.20.

I'd have loved to have that info on Satoko's 3ltz, cause that is her smallest element.

- - - Updated - - -

Are the rumours about Mariah und Eunsoo true?

which rumors?

alinaharry

On the Ice
I have to say, I thought there was some interesting judging here, both in PCS and components. I only watched part of the final two groups because I had to multitask, but here are my thoughts. I will probably rewatch them later and may edit this. I threw in some PCS numbers just for comparison.

Mariah Bell should have been called on a UR on her 3T in combo because it looked under to me in real time. I think positive GOE for that combination was too much. Also, I have been hearing rumors about Mariah and Eunsoo, could someone who knows more PM me to tell me what is going on?
Average PCS this season: 31.13
Today: 32.15

Eunsoo Lim was beautiful and 100% deserved that score I believe. Her look on ice, I just love. I am so glad she performed a beautiful and clean SP. I also hope she isn't injured too badly that it affects her FS performance.
Average PCS this season: 30.39
Today: 32.48

Elizabet Tursynbaeva was woah...... That score was a lot high in my opinion. I personally don't think the PCS was justified or some of the GOE.
Average PCS this season: 31.26
Today: 34.18

Bradie Tennell, I like this program for her better than her FS but UR just hurts her and I fear it will again in the FS.
Average PCS this season: 32.09
Today: 33.41

Evgenia Medvedeva, I would personally have her about a point lower in total score. I am glad she could put out a clean performance though.
Average PCS this season: 34.48
Today: 36.63

Rika Kihira, I wanted sooo badly for her to land that 3A. I hope she lands both in the FS. Her rippon 3Lz is beautiful!!!
Average PCS this season: 32.66
Today: 33.98

Alina Zagitova, wow, I can honestly say I was not expecting that performance from her. I think it may be her best this season. I hope she has figured out whatever was bothering her the past few competitions.
Average PCS this season: 36.33
Today: 37.36

Kaori Sakamoto was so beautiful and I am so happy about her new SB. I hope she kills it in the FS. Her 3Lo is my favorite jump of hers, I just love it.
Average PCS this season: 32.47
Today: 34.88

Sofia Samodurova, I feel didn't really bring the same fire that she brought during her SP at Euros. I have read she hasn't been doing a lot of jumps so I hope she isn't ill or injured. I like her FS much more though and I feel she brings it much more and I'm hoping she does.
Average PCS this season: 30.53
Today: 31.71

Overall, I think the standings will move around a bit after Friday, I definitely don't know who I think will be on top of the podium.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Speed was also interesting. Kaori was the fasted with 20 km/h if I remember it correctly.

She should have had by far the highest 2A score. But she didn't on the judges' cards.

I wonder whether the judges get to see the measured data in real time?

Another memorable 2A was Mariah Bell's, which went high and far, and was done only a couple of steps into the program, in a relatively slow tempo part of the program, and so was only average fast on exit.

The most over scored 2A was Alina Zagitova's, which was short, low, and had a relatively slow exit. She should have had a score similar to Satoko's for that element.

NameDistance
meters
Height
meters
Speed on exit
Km/hr
Score from
Protocol
Gabrielle Daleman2.220.3711.704.20
Eun Soo Lim2.400.4115.14.57
Mariah Bell2.710.4513.54.24
Elizabet Tursynbaeva2.700.4016.44.53
Laurine Lecavelier2.380.4415.84.12 (bonus removed)
Sofia Samodurova2.290.3516.54.12 (bonus removed)
Kaori Sakamoto3.200.3620.74.57
Bradie Tennell2.590.4015.74.34
Satoko Miyahara2.180.3413.64.24
Evgenia Medvedeva2.530.3512.94.38
Rika Kihara---0
Alina Zagitova2.040.3812.54.43

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
She should have had by far the highest 2A score. But she didn't on the judges' cards.

I wonder whether the judges get to see the measured data in real time?

Another memorable 2A was Mariah Bell's, which went high and far, and was done only a couple of steps into the program, in a relatively slow tempo part of the program, and so was only average fast on exit.

The most over scored 2A was Alina Zagitova's, which was short, low, and had a relatively slow exit. She should have had a score similar to Satoko's for that element.

NameDistance
meters
Height
meters
Speed on exit
Km/hr
Score from
Protocol
Gabrielle Daleman2.220.3711.704.20
Eun Soo Lim2.400.4115.14.57
Mariah Bell2.710.4513.54.24
Elizabet Tursynbaeva2.700.4016.44.53
Laurine Lecavelier2.380.4415.84.12 (bonus removed)
Sofia Samodurova2.290.3516.54.12 (bonus removed)
Kaori Sakamoto3.200.3620.74.57
Bradie Tennell2.590.4015.74.34
Satoko Miyahara2.180.3413.64.24
Evgenia Medvedeva2.530.3512.94.38
Rika Kihara---0
Alina Zagitova2.040.3812.54.43

Thanks for the table!
Tursynbaeva's 2A was pretty good as well, considering her height. It had decent height, length and speed.

By the way - this was a great competition! Those ladies are all very competitive ... I don't agree with Zagitova's score, she was very good, but not that much better than the rest of the top ladies.

Regarding the Bell/Lim drama - I can't imagine that Bell is a bully ... not with that innocent smile! :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And I would think we would have heard about it before...but we should wait for more information rather than rushing to judgment either way, I think.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Isn't the hardest entry in the Axel also count for the good points Alina get.

Provided all other things are equal, she should, but as the table shows, they weren't anywhere close. She had the shortest distance, the sixth highest jump and the slowest speed on exit. She should have a score in the middle of this group, enhanced from the the lowest of the group, due to hard entry. Instead, she is near the top.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think she may have got a bit lowballed in PCS.

I kind of agree; not that this should count look at Satoko but both are former world medallists. Still she needs to deliver in the freeskate. I have no idea what shape she is in.